just realized im old {or is it old school}

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be old school for me, been doing it for 30+ years. When running wheel skidder on logging jobs and run across buckskin tamarack or nice birch bring to the landing. On Saturday or day off go cut firewood haul to splitter, then to wood shed. Sounds modern day but old school to me. I guess I'm getting old only in age.
Best of luck to AS members in East U.S. sounds like spring may be longer time coming this year.

The Mad Dog nailer :laugh:

That's almost funny, 50 says you have a stick or coil nailer....probably a paslode with expired gas :msp_rolleyes:

stop by take alook at my tool room and then we can have a talk . now if i was trying to use outdated gas , i probaly wouldnt be making much $

Hand nailing!:laugh:

I like those new cordless nailers. That is the way to go if you arn't using screws, which are best driven by a battery operated device of sort or another, corded driver if needed.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

right you are , mostly screws these days . square drive ofcourse

right you are , mostly screws these days . square drive ofcourse

When I build my own house I'm going to use screws. Other contractors laugh at me when I say that, but screws will hold in a hurricane when nails are just adding hazard to a debris field. Using impact drivers and torx drive framing rated screws will add many man-hours to the framing for sure; but that is just the cost of going above and beyond. When I build decks and fences I use screw guns and they hold up really well, never had one fail yet and some have seen 90mph winds.

Done this for over thirty years ? Started real small 1 saw an truck .now I lost count how many saws got wedges inverter hands don.t like handfilling . The mission form day one was make it easer every year . The biggest improvements were the loadhandler timed loaded cab high truck empty in 17 seconds a 4 foot garage door a 2 week load of wood in not much time . Splitter improvements a swing axial can roll big rounds very easy on the rail not a vertcial went 4way with a bigger pump . Every year work to make easer . Don.t know if that is old school that,s the way I go about it .

Done this for over thirty years ? Started real small 1 saw an truck .now I lost count how many saws got wedges inverter hands don.t like handfilling . The mission form day one was make it easer every year . The biggest improvements were the loadhandler timed loaded cab high truck empty in 17 seconds a 4 foot garage door a 2 week load of wood in not much time . Splitter improvements a swing axial can roll big rounds very easy on the rail not a vertcial went 4way with a bigger pump . Every year work to make easer . Don.t know if that is old school that,s the way I go about it .

:msp_blink:

When I build my own house I'm going to use screws. Other contractors laugh at me when I say that, but screws will hold in a hurricane when nails are just adding hazard to a debris field. Using impact drivers and torx drive framing rated screws will add many man-hours to the framing for sure; but that is just the cost of going above and beyond. When I build decks and fences I use screw guns and they hold up really well, never had one fail yet and some have seen 90mph winds.

When we built my late sisters and husbands house, I talked them into going screws, lagbolts and industrial adhesive at all joints. That house was *solid* deluxe when we got through. nails were basically just holding clamps until the screws and lags went in.

And it was only a few hundred in materials over just nails! I bet that house is 5 times stronger than most stick frames.

And they built as they could afford it, one income/check to pay at a rental and normal bills nearby the homestead, the other income to pay off the three acres, get the grading done and well and septic in (that took the most outside cost), then buy materials to build. Took about a year and a half to get to the point they could move in, that freed up all that rental expense. The house was still real unfinished then but inally livable, wiring done, had running water a roof and walls,, then by around three years in, two story house on three acres complete, with separate woodshed, all paid off free and clear, 0 interest paid on any note. Total wood heat, nothing else. Pay and build as you go is REAL cheap compared to buying outright with some decades long mortgage. I went up on weekends and helped a lot on that job.

Ha, this is funny..so, one long night until early AM my BIL and I are finishing the plumbing, running water inside! That was the point we had to get to so sis would move in, and they could drop the rental place. Getting ready to head out I go ....Theres no mirror in the bathroom!

girls gotta have mirrors...no mirror..so I grabbed some scrap plywood, drew a picture on the plywood of a woman brushing her hair, and nailed it up over the sink...

she loved it!

i didnt start this to pick a fight .i do what i do by choice . i could have bought or borrowered a splitter years ago. i chose not to.splitting by hand keeps me young i hope to be able to do that for many more years.not saying that having a splitter or anything else makes you any lesser in my eyes.

I have a splitter, but still do a lot of splitting by hand also. Like you, I think it's good excersize. With the splitter though I don't have to fight with the ones that want to fight back.

I like to do some hand splitting for a half hour or so in the morning before I go to the store. Sometimes I'll cut up a wheelbarrow of 2" to 3" wood with a hand saw. Sort of my morning workout. And we're talking 7:00 AM, which is a bit too early to fire up the power equipment anyway. (We're on 4-5 acre wooded lots, and even though we can't see each other, we can all hear each other. LOL)

IF thermometers are really cool for checking temperatures of the cat when he sleeps next to the wood stove. Prob just as effective on a dog too.

Back