Just scored a me ramrod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frashdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Oh my back is stoked. 900t w/23hp kohler. Supposedly has no more than 500 hrs, looks awesome, paint is hardly worn off control bars. Little touch ups she'll look brand new. Still tread on the tires too. $4800

I looked at a diesel 20hp one of these recently that was beat, had a load or two dumped on itself. Coolant and hydaulic fluids leaked. I love diesels but this machine turned me right off to the diesels for mini's. After 5 minutes of use, the motor spit oil out the crank case vent on the muffler of course. Researched and found out the replacement liquid cooled kubota was over $3k and they were rare. HMMM? pricey cold blooded 4 cylinder liquid cooled shoe horn fit versus dime a dozen 2 cylinder air cooled sitting in the open for wrenching? Maybe that's why they stopped using them. You also could not swap a gas for the diesel engine. You can score a brand new replacement gas 23 kohler for a few over $1K, plenty of used ones out there way cheaper.

So I'm stoked. Can anyone guess what attachment I really want to get?

1. log grapple.
2. stump grinder.
3. earth auger for planting trees (they are really excellent for that!)

Branch manager, tops my list.

Too many guys with stump grinders around here and seem do it for fun as far as I can tell by their prices. Maybe I will have some one build me one. I've seen some prettty slick homemade jobbies w/thier own motors.

Earth auger and some forks for planting trees are right up there.

Branch Manager. Just finished a 45 tree removal job at a camp. I did 99% of the cleanup myself with a Bobcat mini and Branch Manager. Best money I ever spent.
Phil

What is a 900T? I have a Vermeer S600TX with the 25hp Diesel motor, very tough to start below freezing.

Obtained with enthusiasm?
Don't think it was a a good deal?

I think it was a good deal. I like obtained with enthusiasm much better. That's like something I would say. "Scored" sounds like something a kid or even a slacker might say.

What is a 900T? I have a Vermeer S600TX with the 25hp Diesel motor, very tough to start below freezing.
images
like this guy except mine is more pretty. Fits in the back of my f-350, 35" wide,61" long without bucket. Says it weights 1500lbs w/out attachment. lifts 900lbs to a hinge at 65" and I heard it will lift more if yer fat buddy stands behind you and gives you the reach around.

I did hear the diesel's cold starting is not so great. It gets way cold up here.

New ramrod owner

Hey guys new to the site but not new to the trade. I just bought a ramrod 900t on eBay. If you were searching like me I'm sure you saw it. It's in Indiana and I'm in Philly. I hope it's worth the ten hour drive. Never used one before and heard mixed reviews. I'm hoping it saves my back as well

Hey guys new to the site but not new to the trade. I just bought a ramrod 900t on eBay. If you were searching like me I'm sure you saw it. It's in Indiana and I'm in Philly. I hope it's worth the ten hour drive. Never used one before and heard mixed reviews. I'm hoping it saves my back as well
Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase.

Your machine was from a failed rental place right? Gas engine? Looked like a good machine. "Pick up only" kept me away from it if it's the same one?

What bad things have you heard? Besides the diesel motors the drive units(hydraulic motors?) I have heard had issues in the earlier ones. I read there are updates for the motors if yours has a problem.

Last year I went and looked at one. Drove it around for a while then got my tool box out and took it apart covers to inspect. I worked as a quality assurance mechanical test technical for years, tell you what I had questions.
I called ramrod and spoke with a technician there. Awsome support, being able to call a factory tech who knew everything about a machine and walk you through trouble shooting was a big seller to the brand. He told me much about the machine and what could go wrong and how much it would cost. The machine I looked at would bogged down to a stall when I turned it to right at full speed, giving the left drive unit full power. Tech said it sounded like a bad drive unit. Besides replacing the gold plated $3200 kubota diesel engine with oil belching blowby, the next worst item I came across would be the left drive unit going bad for $600. This machine was on ebay more than once by more than one person in a short amount of time.:(

I bought a used Dingo with a blown Kubota, D722-e I think it is.I paid 1750 for an almost new engine, less than 10 hours. I lucked into it. Got all the leaks fixed and it is an awesome machine. I dont think it will lift what yours will, I think 700 pounds. I have had four guys on including myself bringing big chunks of wood out. Its hard to get that many guys hanging on let alone a reach around :). I have never met or spoke to anyone who had a mini skidsteer who didnt love it. Congrats on the SCORE!! :clap:

Thanks for the encouragement. I've worked at asplundh for 11 years. I bacame a certified Arborist and started my own business 2 years ago. I mostly only work on the weekends because I still work at asplundh. I bought a used asplundh manual truck(1996) and a woodchuck disc chipper that I had to replace the engine in months after buying it. I'm just a little Leary about buying used equipment now. But only working on the weekends does not allow me to buy new. And in this economy who wants to be in debt.

Latest posts

Back