Just scored a me ramrod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a little underbrush clearing job I had done with the York rake.

asolo007.jpg

I got the rake for 200. it was a full size one and I had just cut it to about 5 feet wide and stuck a draw bar on it and called it done. I have broken a few tines but still have the other part of the rake so I can fix it. The rake now is very heavy but once on the machine does a good job cleaning out the crap.

Last edited:
What attachment do you use to carry those large logs.

I use the pallet forks for loading logs. I recently purchased a set of Bradco forks. The new forks work better than the original ramrod forks because they roll back further and they have a brush guard that really works well for pushing brush into a pile. I have a cylinder and material and I'm going to add a grapple to the original forks..Lets see that must be about project #47. Sometime I use log tongs like treemandan shows in his photos. FYI...the Thomas machine was made Leon's Mfg (Ramrod) but it has a better muffler and a little instrument panel. As far as maintenance goes, they are pretty ez to work on. I recommend pulling the pump every 200 hrs to clean and re lube the pump spline shaft. Ive replaced the spline insert in the engine/crank on both of my machines. The part is about $100 from Kohler. Ive also replaced a weak pump with wore shaft splines once. Ramrod wants over $1200 for a pump but it came be purchased for $600 from a hydraulic supply center. I've found a pump seal kit for $56 and it took about a 1.5 hrs to freshen up the pump.

The 4 bolts that hold the motor down in mine came loose. they wanted 6 hours labor @ 85 per at the Dingo store. said they would need to pull the motor and all sorts of hoopla. They did tell me if I pulled all the covers, gas tank and things like that I might be able to fanagle a wrench under there to hold the nuts to tighten the bolts. That was what I was thinking before I called to see what the labor book said for the job and I was able to do it way within 6 hours.
I am not sure what mine is rated for. The bucket has a sticker that says 500, the manual says 750. What do you think that maple log weighs? She is a little tipsy with some weight though, you have to be careful.
I lost a track while plowing, the ice built up in there and tossed it. It was pretty simple getting it back on though I am nervous it will happen again as she packs up pretty quick with ice.
I don't care about a little turfing on the lawn; hell, what can one expect from a job like this? Its turning on gravel that is not good. Them little rocks and stones get in there and I don't like that.

The 4 bolts that hold the motor down in mine came loose. they wanted 6 hours labor @ 85 per at the Dingo store. said they would need to pull the motor and all sorts of hoopla. They did tell me if I pulled all the covers, gas tank and things like that I might be able to fanagle a wrench under there to hold the nuts to tighten the bolts. That was what I was thinking before I called to see what the labor book said for the job and I was able to do it way within 6 hours.
I am not sure what mine is rated for. The bucket has a sticker that says 500, the manual says 750. What do you think that maple log weighs? She is a little tipsy with some weight though, you have to be careful.
I lost a track while plowing, the ice built up in there and tossed it. It was pretty simple getting it back on though I am nervous it will happen again as she packs up pretty quick with ice.
I don't care about a little turfing on the lawn; hell, what can one expect from a job like this? Its turning on gravel that is not good. Them little rocks and stones get in there and I don't like that.

I would think that log weighs 3000 lbs. What's up with the saw floating above it. I see that your in Chester co. I'm in Delco. Are you the one putting up all those cheap tree service signs or the beaver creek signs. I see them from Delta, Lancaster, to at the end of my street in glenolden Delco. There very impressive lifting that log. It has me excited to try mine out. I'm in Indiana right now. The place where I'm buying from is opening in an hour. I hope it's worth the money(3500.00) and the drive.

That's what I'm thinking. Did you use your ramrod yet. I'm thinking of getting a set of forks for it. I don't think the brush manager will work for me. I have 2 of them already. There called ground guys. I need something to carry large rounds of wood. It seems like most of the removals I do are silver maples. And the trunks are huge.
My ramrod was shipped friday, should have it in a few days.

I hear ya on the silver maple trunks. The branch manager does open to 46" and I've seen some big chunks picked up with it. The main thing the branch manager impresses me with is it's ability to pick logs or big piles of brush up length wise and then go through narrow gates and such spaces where as a grapple or forks would not allow.

The "beak" on the forks look like a winner for huge chunks when compared to a standard grapple especialy where width clearances are not of concern. Seems easy enough to make as opposed to a branch manager.

I would think that log weighs 3000 lbs. What's up with the saw floating above it. I see that your in Chester co. I'm in Delco. Are you the one putting up all those cheap tree service signs or the beaver creek signs. I see them from Delta, Lancaster, to at the end of my street in glenolden Delco. There very impressive lifting that log. It has me excited to try mine out. I'm in Indiana right now. The place where I'm buying from is opening in an hour. I hope it's worth the money(3500.00) and the drive.

NO, its not me dude!

The saw is hanging from a lanyard attached to the back brace.

Beaver tree is here in my neck of the woods , he likes to leave his truck at the ent. of the turnpike here with no tags on it , so we like to take the time to show him some attention from time to time

My ramrod was shipped friday, should have it in a few days.

I hear ya on the silver maple trunks. The branch manager does open to 46" and I've seen some big chunks picked up with it. The main thing the branch manager impresses me with is it's ability to pick logs or big piles of brush up length wise and then go through narrow gates and such spaces where as a grapple or forks would not allow.

The "beak" on the forks look like a winner for huge chunks when compared to a standard grapple especialy where width clearances are not of concern. Seems easy enough to make as opposed to a branch manager.

These attachments aren't cheap. I have a silver maple to take down this weekend and I'm gonna have to settle with the bucket for this week. The sucker is at least 4 ft round maybe 5 ft. I'll try to remember to take pics. Got the machine home. Runs great! We will see how it does with a load on it.

These attachments aren't cheap. I have a silver maple to take down this weekend and I'm gonna have to settle with the bucket for this week. The sucker is at least 4 ft round maybe 5 ft. I'll try to remember to take pics. Got the machine home. Runs great! We will see how it does with a load on it.

The bucket is probably better for that kind of stuff as you will have to cut it smaller.
Where is Philly do you run?

The bucket is probably better for that kind of stuff as you will have to cut it smaller.
Where is Philly do you run?

I'm in Delaware county. But I'll work in Chestco, montco, and Philly. I'll even go to jersey and Delaware if the price is right. I only do this part time, stay pretty busy. Me and my partner both have full time jobs that we've been at for 11+ years. It's hard to just up and leave. Were both 30 and have alot of energy and ambition. But we know that won't last forever so we need to make a decision. How about you?

I'm in Delaware county. But I'll work in Chestco, montco, and Philly. I'll even go to jersey and Delaware if the price is right. I only do this part time, stay pretty busy. Me and my partner both have full time jobs that we've been at for 11+ years. It's hard to just up and leave. Were both 30 and have alot of energy and ambition. But we know that won't last forever so we need to make a decision. How about you?

I am up near Phoenixville, got about 20 years messing around with trees. I do a good amount of contract climbing as well as having my own equoment and clients.
Its probably good seeking only part time work in this business but there is a good amount of work out there if you are willing to persue it whole heartedly.

btw I believe I found out from a reliable source Beaver Creek was a franchised company......

.....im gettin a dingo next, you guys have sold me!

Latest posts

Back