Just scored a me ramrod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some guys on AS think a bucket grapple is worthless and a clam grapple like the branch manager or ryan grapple are the only way to go. I, however, really like my bucket grapple as it works for all types of tree debris not to mention dirt and aggregate.

I bought the 'thumb' grapple for my factory bobcat mt-50 bucket about 4 years ago. It cost $400 plus another $100 to have a welder install it on the bucket. I also had the sides of the bucket notched out so I could pick up bigger log rounds and it works absolutely great. I don't need to switch attachments to pick up brush or to clean up stump grindings. While it isn't perfect for any one application, it does the job well for all three and was a very inexpensive solution to having a grapple for better control of debris.

If you have the $500 to spend on forks, you may want to consider spending that on a thumb grapple for your existing bucket and make some slight mods to the sides of the bucket to allow it to grasp logs and brush better. This one does it all and is CHEAP.

Some guys on AS think a bucket grapple is worthless and a clam grapple like the branch manager or ryan grapple are the only way to go. I, however, really like my bucket grapple as it works for all types of tree debris not to mention dirt and aggregate.

I bought the 'thumb' grapple for my factory bobcat mt-50 bucket about 4 years ago. It cost $400 plus another $100 to have a welder install it on the bucket. I also had the sides of the bucket notched out so I could pick up bigger log rounds and it works absolutely great. I don't need to switch attachments to pick up brush or to clean up stump grindings. While it isn't perfect for any one application, it does the job well for all three and was a very inexpensive solution to having a grapple for better control of debris.

If you have the $500 to spend on forks, you may want to consider spending that on a thumb grapple for your existing bucket and make some slight mods
to the sides of the bucket to allow it to grasp logs and brush better. This one does it all and is CHEAP.

that looks perfect for me. Exactly what I'm looking for. What size do they open up to. Do u think they will hold that piece I had in my bucket. Also where did u get them and will they fit on my ramrod.

that looks perfect for me. Exactly what I'm looking for. What size do they open up to. Do u think they will hold that piece I had in my bucket. Also where did u get them and will they fit on my ramrod.

I found mine listed on ebay as a new sale item. It was not up for auction. You can do an internet search on 'thumb grapple' and should be able to find suppliers. The grapple and cylinder come as a unit. Some contain the hoses and hydraulic couplers and some do not so check that with the seller as that will cost a hundred bucks if you have to buy seperately.

Mine opens up to about 30" or so. It can easily handle a flat chunk if you grab it the narrow way. Where it has some issues is trying to grip a round log over 24" - it tends to loose it's grip unless it has some rough bark to dig into. Again, I'll make it clear that it's not perfect. If all one was doing was loading bigger diameter log rounds, the clam grapple might be better suited for the job. However, if you also want to load smaller chunks, brush, stump grindings, pick up raking piles and haul dirt to fill stumps all with the same attachment, well - let's see a clam grapple do all that. It can't. As a general purpose tool, my mini skid matched with the bucket grapple does the job well and I just can't justify the $2k for a clam when i can get set up with a thumb on my bucket for a quarter of that cost.

I would suggest notching out the sides of your bucket if you go the thumb route. I cut teeth-shaped notches in the sides of my bucket (see previous attachment) to better grip debris and it works nicely without weekening the bucket. It does take away some of the load capicity of the bucket when hauling grindings, dirt, rakings, etc but it works a lot better for loading logs and brush than before I notched the sides out. Now it's more like a flat bucket grapple - like the toothed one GR8Scott uses on his machine but with a solid bottom so you can still haul dirt and grindings in it.

If you have any problems finding a supplier, shoot me a pm and I can try to find the invoice for the thumb i purchased and send you the company's info.

Scott

Though I don't have photos of my mini skid and bucket grapple in action, I can tell you that I have loaded some big logs with it. Recently, I loaded an elm trunk that was about 20" diameter x 7' long. Weighed way more than the tip capacity of my mini skid but the grapple held onto it fine. I've also loaded willow and cottonwood trunk sections 5' in diameter by cutting them 12-18" in width and grabbing them the long way. The grapply holds onto them fine. If I have a problem, it's usually with the tipping capacity of my machine - not with the grapple itself. From looking at the clam style grapples, I believe the bucket style would allow you to lift more weight than the clam one because the weight is extended out further with the clam grapple and the grapple itself is heavier than the bucket style grapple. With my bucket grapple, I can roll the load back towards the machine once I have ahold of it to help keep it from getting tipsy. I take some big chunks of wood with it.

scott

Got my ramrod 900t last week as well as the branch manager attachment.

Was super stoked to use it but,
Ended up disassembling it down to frame, preped and started with a base primer coat. Got to know the inner workings I did.
I couldn not help it, I wanted to service the motor, hydraulics and clean er up a bit then it was a no brainer to pull the motor, then I just started pulling everthing off, couple of hours and it was stripped. Some buddies came over with snacks and beer for session of prep sanding and acetone cleaning. Man I love working on southern machines with no rust, clean bolts flew out.

It's going to look better then new with the paint scheme and decals to match my truck. All for a couple hundred bucks for the refurb. Pics are coming...

I seem to get alot of these jobs and was wondering if a mini would work good. Has anyone ever used these to scrap out Boston ivy. I have used a full sized skid before to scrap it all out by the roots and have used sod cutters. Was wondering if a tooth bucket would work good for this, I also do alot of small bed and walkway installs do these have enough power to scrape down 8-10 inches. Going to look at a toro 420 next week, I know it will be great for logs but would love it for the other jobs.

I seem to get alot of these jobs and was wondering if a mini would work good. Has anyone ever used these to scrap out Boston ivy. I have used a full sized skid before to scrap it all out by the roots and have used sod cutters. Was wondering if a tooth bucket would work good for this, I also do alot of small bed and walkway installs do these have enough power to scrape down 8-10 inches. Going to look at a toro 420 next week, I know it will be great for logs but would love it for the other jobs.

my 20hp bobcat mt-50 will dig sod and dirt. I just created a flower bed for a customer by removing a 20'x20' sod area with my mini skid. Once I broke through the sod, it dug the area out quite easily. I think the combination of the diesel engine and tracks is the way to go if you want to dig with a mini.

I used to have a landscaping company and installed a lot of paverbrick walks and patios. If I ever went into that kind of work again, a mini would be high on my list for working in the tighter areas - especially for narrower walks.

You would probably do better with a tracked mini instead of a wheeled one.

My Thomas 25G has wheels and although it is good for not tearing up the grass when dragging brush, digging is not it's strong point. It does o.k. in soft soils, but I imagine a tracked unit would have better pushing power. (More traction).

If you have the $500 to spend on forks, you may want to consider spending that on a thumb grapple for your existing bucket and make some slight mods to the sides of the bucket to allow it to grasp logs and brush better. This one does it all and is CHEAP.
Why don't you go and get a enclosed trailer you have the same equip. as me and they fit perfectly in my 28fter....

That's awesome. I gotta get some forks or a grapple.

Good score on the Ram 900, I am an old Ramrod dealer also pretty simple to work on. I have lots of pics of ramy mods for treework
How bout the 3 in 1 beak, removable clamp, 2000# forks and receiver hitch

BeakCutL.jpg

Beakbrush.jpg

I still think this is better arborpro have you ever run both styles of grapples?

BMGscoopBox1.jpg

Check these Videos out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhchJDSTxiY

Worked better than I thought it would!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhchJDSTxiY

More Branch Manager "Scoop" vids

Stump Chips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4c45b09GLY

Dirt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bTuuayzyX4

Landscape Rock, this one surprised me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2D8iXGBwhk

Here is an oldy but a goody, note the Ramrod in the snow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eUxL7YfF3Y

If you need help with a mini or a grapple give me a call anytime, I have 12 years experience with minis doing treework, and I am committed to making tree operations easier with innovative attachments. I welcome your comments
Dave

I demo a wheeled and a tracked unit from toro on Monday, and I have to get one now. Took down five trees, 10 x 10 concrete pad, and about 600 sq feet of ivy along with the stump grindings by my self in one day. I wish a new machine was in my price range but I think used is the way to go. There are two machines for sale near me any input any one has if these are good deals would be great. One is a toro 2003 tx 427 narrow track says has a new engine and a drive motor replaced has approx 1100 hrs for $7900 bo. The second is a 420 with a clam shell bucket with under 600 hrs for $6500. They are both gas powered, I think the 420 is a better deal but I dont lknow if that small motor has enough power, and the other there is no way to tell how many hours are on the new motor.

I demo a wheeled and a tracked unit from toro on Monday, and I have to get one now. Took down five trees, 10 x 10 concrete pad, and about 600 sq feet of ivy along with the stump grindings by my self in one day. I wish a new machine was in my price range but I think used is the way to go. There are two machines for sale near me any input any one has if these are good deals would be great. One is a toro 2003 tx 427 narrow track says has a new engine and a drive motor replaced has approx 1100 hrs for $7900 bo. The second is a 420 with a clam shell bucket with under 600 hrs for $6500. They are both gas powered, I think the 420 is a better deal but I dont lknow if that small motor has enough power, and the other there is no way to tell how many hours are on the new motor.

Look at the condition of the track, bearing slop, raise the arms and check all the mount pins. These are good indicators of wear and or abuse. The eng is another story offer him 5K

Good score on the Ram 900, I am an old Ramrod dealer also pretty simple to work on. I have lots of pics of ramy mods for treework

I still think this is better arborpro have you ever run both styles of grapples?

QUOTE]

I haven't run your style of grapple. I know that it would come in handy at times - like this last saturday when I was trying to load 4' diameter Elm rounds. My grapple was having a hard time gripping them in any direction or position. What would work better for me is just a bigger bucket grapple - one that has a longer bottom edge and longer grapple but still 36" wide.

I don't know about the removable 'shovel' attachments for your grapple. Looks to me like the cutting edge would eventually bend from hitting rocks or large chunks of wood and then not work very well. Have you thought about making a bolt-on cutting edge so the scoops themselves don't get damaged?

Anytime you want to drop one off for a trial period of a few months, just let me know. I'll be sure to give you a fair review...

QUOTE]

I haven't run your style of grapple. I know that it would come in handy at times - like this last saturday when I was trying to load 4' diameter Elm rounds. My grapple was having a hard time gripping them in any direction or position. What would work better for me is just a bigger bucket grapple - one that has a longer bottom edge and longer grapple but still 36" wide.

I don't know about the removable 'shovel' attachments for your grapple. Looks to me like the cutting edge would eventually bend from hitting rocks or large chunks of wood and then not work very well. Have you thought about making a bolt-on cutting edge so the scoops themselves don't get damaged?

Anytime you want to drop one off for a trial period of a few months, just let me know. I'll be sure to give you a fair review...

Yeah we have redesigned the edge, and will have an option for bolt on teeth.
I have not run the scoop day in day out, and I am waiting for the second generation. My initial thoughts are that it will hold up fine on Mulch and stump grindings. Now when it has teeth and you get a good bite on say a root or rock whatever and if the operator starts wrenching on it it will bend.
Remember it has to be made light enough for the machines to lift it + a load.
If I built it heavier to compensate for S____d, I mean an agressive operator, it would severely limit payload and more of a PIA to attach.

Where in the world are you? I might take on your trial challenge

Yeah we have redesigned the edge, and will have an option for bolt on teeth.
I have not run the scoop day in day out, and I am waiting for the second generation. My initial thoughts are that it will hold up fine on Mulch and stump grindings. Now when it has teeth and you get a good bite on say a root or rock whatever and if the operator starts wrenching on it it will bend.
Remember it has to be made light enough for the machines to lift it + a load.
If I built it heavier to compensate for S____d, I mean an agressive operator, it would severely limit payload and more of a PIA to attach.

Where in the world are you? I might take on your trial challenge

Aberdeen, SD (57401) - NE part of the state just 80mi west of I-29 on US12.

Ramrod Pump

I purshased a 910T and was needing a new hydraulic pump but cant find a replacement or resonably priced one. Where did you manage to find one for $600? The original one is made by cassappa and is impossible to find parts for. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back