Just some pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took Nitro, a good friend of mine, to a tree job today. He took a few pics of me in a red oak so I thought I would throw them up. The job consisted of deadwooding, removals and trims. It was a classic "go through every tree on the property" kind of deal. The job was for a professional photographer who was snapping shots left and right, seriously outgunning Nitro. Nitro did make a good skidder though.

DSCN1748.jpg

DSCN1750.jpg

DSCN1752.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

DSCN1751.jpg

We knocked out 6 1/2 face cord of firewood before the job, so it was a great day. Here are a couple pics of me and Nitro that my wife took when we got back to my place. That's his Chevy maxed out with green hardwood. Notice that Nitro is a textbook Wisconsin redneck and proud of it. Soon after this we grabbed a couple silo's of beer and walked my woods looking for our next firewood prospects. Springs a commin! Cheers.:cheers:
DSCN1756.jpg

Here we are on top of my "have yet to split" pile. Sold out of firewood right away this fall and have amassed about 70 face cord so far this winter. Cutting again tommorow.
DSCN1757.jpg

Nails, What do you think about your new equipment, now that you've had a chance to climb with it ?

Nails, What do you think about your new equipment, now that you've had a chance to climb with it ?

I love it. It has made me a safer, more productive climber. I feel confident now that I have the right gear for all situations. I don't have to "make do" anymore causing early fatigue and high stress situations in the name of getting any and all jobs done.

To me the biggest differences are the new saddle, new tophandle saws, and the wire core flipline. The saddle has eliminated most preasure points that were the major fatigue factors. The saws have led to me doing more work on the way up, lessening the time spent in the top and allowing me to take on any branch at any time. The wire core flips really well and helps in ascending the bigger trees.

It is all thanks to the members of this site. Pooling their experiences with mine has made it possible for me to buy gear that isn't going to get thrown into the bottom of my climbing bag. Sure I am spending money, but I am getting the results I want without wasting it.

good pics nails. you really have the "saw pose" down. lol

i couldnt help but notice that your boy nitro looks like a couple buzzard's i know. lol

nice wood you got out there in your parts. straight up and down hardwood.

how do you like your steelcore flip? you like letting it hang? i dont. swivel dog snap and key chain carabiner the end of it to your belt. it'll hang out just fine and wont be in the way because it'll be looped back to your belt. the swivel snap allows it to rotate around without getting all bound up.

try it mang. i wouldnt lie to ya.

is your 2hunge eating it up or what?

good pics nails. you really have the "saw pose" down. lol

i couldnt help but notice that your boy nitro looks like a couple buzzard's i know. lol

nice wood you got out there in your parts. straight up and down hardwood.

how do you like your steelcore flip? you like letting it hang? i dont. swivel dog snap and key chain carabiner the end of it to your belt. it'll hang out just fine and wont be in the way because it'll be looped back to your belt. the swivel snap allows it to rotate around without getting all bound up.

try it mang. i wouldnt lie to ya.

is your 2hunge eating it up or what?

Hey Oldirty, I figured you would nail me for not carrying the 2hunge in the pic. Believe it or not, my dad was in another tree using it at the time, he grabbed this huge caribeaner we had hooked to our gear trailer and strapps it to his saddle. He loved it. My brother has tried it too and was impressed. It's only a matter of time now. Oh I almost forgot, I did the muffler thing on the 192, but not on the 200 yet, I am trying to let the anticipation build, I can't take all that power at once.

I am still trying different saw poses for my portfolio. lol

Steelcore. It is doing exactly what I bought it to do, flipping and flipping well.
I will gladly steal your swivel snap idea. I clipped it back to my saw biner when I was in some smaller trees, but like you said she got all twisted up. Good call.

Hey, I got one question that I know you have the answer to, what is the correct way to take up slack on the wire core with the petzle macrograb when ascending?

Nitro is my oldest and bestest friend, he's a buzzard and he knows it. lolol

Shoot me back when you can, later.

Last edited:
if its what i think it is nails just grab the flipline behind the hardware and pull away from your hip at an angle so you can pull it through the "grab" of the ascender.

was it put together on order or did you have to put it together onto the flipline?
if you had to wrench it did you tighten it too much so that its squeezed and cant release? i mean you dont want any play in there but also not torqued down.

is this ascender anything like my gibbs ascender? i only have experience on that and a prussic for the flip lines.

and about your boy nitro and him being a buzzard.....it takes one to know one. lol

oh, and dont hold me to the knowledge part of our game bud. i'm just a grunt. no degree's or certs like alot of these other guys. just on the job smarts. lol

CA is my on my radar though. just the next logical step for me in this game we play.

stay safe

Nice Pics Nails! Havin Fun Yet? Stay Safe. Nothing is more rewarding than a good friendship with someone who can help you to achieve your goals.

DSCN1750.jpg

I hope that was a removal.

Couldn't help myself;)

I love those jobs, spend the day doing 10 trees with only one climb.

Bring me up on some of thsoe jobs and we will have some fun.

Last edited:
I love it. It has made me a safer, more productive climber. I feel confident now that I have the right gear for all situations. I don't have to "make do" anymore causing early fatigue and high stress situations in the name of getting any and all jobs done.

To me the biggest differences are the new saddle, new tophandle saws, and the wire core flipline. The saddle has eliminated most preasure points that were the major fatigue factors. The saws have led to me doing more work on the way up, lessening the time spent in the top and allowing me to take on any branch at any time. The wire core flips really well and helps in ascending the bigger trees.

It is all thanks to the members of this site. Pooling their experiences with mine has made it possible for me to buy gear that isn't going to get thrown into the bottom of my climbing bag. Sure I am spending money, but I am getting the results I want without wasting it.

Nice pics.

I agree with oldirty regarding not letting the tail of your flip hang like that. It can get tangled, plus its banging into your saw and chain. For that reason I put my tail on my left hip. I figure my right is getting enough workout with the chain and pruning saw that my left can handle adjusting the flipline.

To adjust my gibbs, I lean in a bit to ease the strain and pull or pay out the flipline as needed. I think the hardest part of flipline adjustment for me was training myself to let go of the gibbs if I was paying out too much (getting over the instinct to grab).

What saddle did you end up with? I think that is a Yale flipline? I was thinking of retiring my first one and getting a new one. Did you get an 8' or 10'? If I get another I will get at least 10' maybe 12'. The 8' works the majority of what I do, but I have been at the max on some of the larger red oaks.

DSCN1750.jpg

I hope that was a removal.

Couldn't help myself;)

I love those jobs, spend the day doing 10 trees with only one climb.

Bring me up on some of thsoe jobs and we will have some fun.

Oh yeah John, you know thats the only way I roll. It's really the tree's fault though, if them red oaks weren't so tough I wouldn't have to spike them so hard. lol

Latest posts

Back