Keep Poulan Pro 330 or get Poulan Pro 5020 or other saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a PP330 that I have been using for firewood purposes. I don't generally cut anything larger than 16" dbh, so I have a 16" b&c on it. It runs and cuts just fine, relatively quick although it is a kinda heavy saw for it's power I think. My biggest issues are these: sometimes, especially when it's cold out (below 10F or so) its hard to start. The biggest problem there is that every other pull or so it will stop my arm dead when it hits the compression, feels like maybe the starter is binding, I can't imagine it has that much compression that a 54cc saw is dead arming me. The second problem is that it just seems so "dirty" emissions wise. When running my 339XP if I am leaned in next to the saw it's not too bad, but the PP330 if I am leaned in near it (felling etc) it just about knocks me out with exhaust. It's not smoking and it's tuned well.

So I'm thinking a newer 50cc saw might solve my problems (easier to start when cold out and less emissions). Maybe a strato saw like the Poulan Pro 5020. I've also though about a used Husqvarna 350/353.

What do you guys think?

I hear lots of positive things about the 330. A carb kit and a tune may help the green factor. Not sure about three compression without more information. 346/353 are sweet

If you can read this, thank a 346

From my experience so far strato makes a big difference in the fumes I have to breath. I'm 49 and I'd like to be able to keep doing hard physical work for a long time yet so I do not become a burden, so the fume thing is important to me. Plus the strato engines use less fuel.

I may consider some used saws without strato if they are a real good deal and for occasional use, but I would not buy a new one without it.

I'd never make that trade. The 330 is so many steps above the 5020.....

How so? Also, the 330 is more saw than I need (power wise). Honestly I use my 330XP for everything except felling assuming that I'm working less than 10" of wood or so, which is a lot of the time. I'd say my 339XP handles 80-85% of my cutting.

**edit**
Also, if you're interested the 330 will probably be for sale shortly.

I'd never make that trade. The 330 is so many steps above the 5020.....

Absolutely.

Besides, what would be the expected gain in going to the 5020? You're getting neither less weight nor more power, so there's no improvement as far as I can see.

Absolutely.

Besides, what would be the expected gain in going to the 5020? You're getting neither less weight nor more power, so there's no improvement as far as I can see.

Hopefully easier to start in the cold (10F and cooler) and less emissions due to it being strato-charged. I think it's also a tiny bit lighter. Power should be similar, but if it's a little less thats ok.

How so? Also, the 330 is more saw than I need (power wise). Honestly I use my 330XP for everything except felling assuming that I'm working less than 10" of wood or so, which is a lot of the time. I'd say my 339XP handles 80-85% of my cutting.

**edit**
Also, if you're interested the 330 will probably be for sale shortly.

I am not interested in buying another 330 right now, I have 4 (3 muffler modded and 1 ported) and quite frankly that saw displaced the Stihl 036Pro I had for years, It runs about the same (ported is lots faster than the Stihl), weighs about the same, and parts are much easier and cheaper to buy. The 330 is a Pro Grade saw by anyone's standards.

The 5020 is a homeowner's grade saw and is not nearly the piece of the 330, and IMHO will be far less durable. Power will be no where close to the 330, I've run both and really no comparison, I actually think the 295 is right even with the 5020.

If you are determined to get out of the 330 then my suggestion would to find a good used PP295 or PP4620 (without tool less adjuster). These are far better saws than the 5020, lighter, and would be more durable IMHO. A better saw just not as big of a step down.

On a side note, I would think the 330 and 339XP would make a perfect 2 saw plan for what you described as your cutting needs. The only change I might make is to put a 20" (.325 x 8pin rim). Below you will find a video of a 330 I built a couple of weeks ago (it is running a 7pin and needs an 8 pin). Does yours run like this one?

[video=youtube_share;4QA4z9dD6ZQ]http://youtu.be/4QA4z9dD6ZQ[/video]

Yes, my ported one will "dead stop" me if I try to drop start (at times) it but if I use the same starting technique as the one in the video I never have a problem.

Last edited:
Yes, the PP295/4620 is a sweet little saw, pretty much the same as my Poulan 2775. But they are not strato and stink plenty, probably similar to the PP330, so if that is one of the issues he's trying to address it doesn't really solve it.

No way I would trade a 330 in on a 5020. The 330 is a pro constructed saw 5020 is a plastic clamshell. Parts availability is not a problem on the 330. I've not run a 5020 but I picked one up and It felt pretty similar in weight.

If you think it smells then it is probably too rich. I would question your observation about it being well tuned. The tag on the saw says the max RPM is 13,800 rpms. Mine is tuned about 1000 rpms shy of that and I don't notice any more exhaust odor than from a strato saw.

I bought one that was supposedly locked up and it turned out the recoil housing wasn't centered and it was binding. I loosened up the recoil housing and moved it around a bit, problem solved. That saw is now my father's main firewood saw and has been for about three years.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the 5020 but it is definitely a step down from the 330. If you decide you want to get rid of the 330 drop me a PM. I'm always looming for more.

Yes, the PP295/4620 is a sweet little saw, pretty much the same as my Poulan 2775. But they are not strato and stink plenty, probably similar to the PP330, so if that is one of the issues he's trying to address it doesn't really solve it.

All two strokes will make some fumes- goes with the territory. If that is the real issue- why not consider a elec saw and ext cord?

From my experience so far strato makes a big difference in the fumes I have to breath. I'm 49 and I'd like to be able to keep doing hard physical work for a long time yet so I do not become a burden, so the fume thing is important to me. Plus the strato engines use less fuel.

I may consider some used saws without strato if they are a real good deal and for occasional use, but I would not buy a new one without it.

I can still do hard physical work with no problem. Watching your weight and regular work outs is what will keep you in shape, not worrying about a few fumes from a saw. I am 62 by the way and going strong.

I can still do hard physical work with no problem. Watching your weight and regular work outs is what will keep you in shape, not worrying about a few fumes from a saw. I am 62 by the way and going strong.

Ditto, I'm 54 and have four 330's also. Two are 54cc and two are upgraded to 60cc. By far the most underated saw that was ever produced. Some folks buy a gym membership, I just go in the woods more often.

You need to look at Husky pro saws to replace the 330, the 2050 likely will make you regret....:givebeer:

The 555 and the 550xp are the most obvious candidates.

All two strokes will make some fumes- goes with the territory. If that is the real issue- why not consider a elec saw and ext cord?
Of course all two strokes put out fumes, all 4-strokes do too, it's an engine. But clearly less is better, and strato 2-strokes put out less. Presenting it as all or nothing is not accurate.

At 49 I weight the same as I did in high school and I'm in better shape - from labor not gyms. And I've seen tough guys dropped by illnesses they never thought they'd get. Paying attention to what you breathe is not a bad idea.

That 550XP is highly rated and everyone seems to really like them. It (550XP) might not be a bad choice, lots more $$$$$

You know that has me thinking. The PP330 back in 05 when I first looked at them listed out at about $400 Now 8 years later I would think that the list would be in the neighborhood of what a new 550XP would cost?

BTW I just looked up my photos, a PP330 is only 3 oz heavier then a PP5020.

No way would I make that swap from a 330 to a 5020. I think the OP is just wanting a new saw and the $200 price of the 5020 is attractive.

You know that has me thinking. The PP330 back in 05 when I first looked at them listed out at about $400 Now 8 years later I would think that the list would be in the neighborhood of what a new 550XP would cost?

BTW I just looked up my photos, a PP330 is only 3 oz heavier then a PP5020.

No way would I make that swap from a 330 to a 5020. I think the OP is just wanting a new saw and the $200 price of the 5020 is attractive.

The 555 looks very good in that perspective! ;)

Back