Keep Poulan Pro 330 or get Poulan Pro 5020 or other saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that would have been a typo then, didn't realize what I typed. My mistake....., but we got a good tax return thanks to having my 1 year old son around and we should be able to afford ...putting that money into a bank account for the high school/university degree of your son!

So the short of it, I do want to upgrade from the 330...the 562XP would be well past an upgrade and into the realm of just embracing my CAD, but I'm ok with that :)

Power wise you will not run into anything with a wow effect upgrading. It's true you will see a little improvement in cutting speeds but nothing like going to a real cc(+20cc!=70cc class) improvment. From your descriptions you need the "large" saw very seldom, so investing into luxury goods is in my eyes a decadent thing to do. If on the other hand you had sufficient funds and needed a larger saw for firewood business then I would definately say go for it.
You constantly complain that the exhaust smell is so bad, but you do not see the need for full synthetic oil. Many oil's have a specific oder that has specific effect on the exhaust smell. Then I donot recall how old your gas supply is. Old gas two stroke mix can really give you a real head ache.

Power wise you will not run into anything with a wow effect upgrading. It's true you will see a little improvement in cutting speeds but nothing like going to a real cc(+20cc!=70cc class) improvment. From your descriptions you need the "large" saw very seldom, so investing into luxury goods is in my eyes a decadent thing to do. If on the other hand you had sufficient funds and needed a larger saw for firewood business then I would definately say go for it.
You constantly complain that the exhaust smell is so bad, but you do not see the need for full synthetic oil. Many oil's have a specific oder that has specific effect on the exhaust smell. Then I donot recall how old your gas supply is. Old gas two stroke mix can really give you a real head ache.

Like I said, my mix isn't old. Most times just a few weeks old. And it doesn't smell in my other saw at all.

I'm thinking the story about the saw smelling is the only thing that smells. :laugh:

I have a 330 and so do lots of other folks who have never said a word about the exhaust smell before. You aint cutting your wood indoors are you? :ices_rofl:

I keep hearing of the legend of the PP330. But all I see on my local craigslist are Wildthings and plastic Steals. Apparently everyone that bought one expecting them to be a cheap $200 saw won't part with them!

On a side note, wasn't someone going to take a scalpel to the 5020?

I keep hearing of the legend of the PP330. But all I see on my local craigslist are Wildthings and plastic Steals. Apparently everyone that bought one expecting them to be a cheap $200 saw won't part with them!

On a side note, wasn't someone going to take a scalpel to the 5020?

Well, if'n you have the hankerin for a 330 I think I know a man who could fix you up. Yes, I have a 5020 broke down, piston sent off for welding and it will be on the bench shortly, which means sometime this year......

[video=youtube_share;4QA4z9dD6ZQ]http://youtu.be/4QA4z9dD6ZQ[/video]

My 330's 3450 365 3750's never smelled any different from exhaust out of the mufflers then any other saw. Must be something to the OP tuning or something amiss. :confused2:

When I ran a 346 550 3450 not long ago they all didnt smell of any exhaust fumes. ;)

Also talking about torque differences of 330 to 5020. Like comparing a poulan 325 53cc to a partner 5000+ 49cc also 4cc difference. I can feel the difference in the cut. So I take it there must be that bit of torque difference between the 330 and 5020 too.

Last edited:
Ya, Barney I'd like to have one. I keep thinking 1 will fall in my lap sooner or later. Its just old Poulan junk so can't be worth too much, right??? Haha

I'm thinking the story about the saw smelling is the only thing that smells. :laugh:

I have a 330 and so do lots of other folks who have never said a word about the exhaust smell before. You aint cutting your wood indoors are you? :ices_rofl:

From all the responses it does kinda make me question my tuning of the saw, especially since none of my other saws bothered me. Though like I said, the exhaust on this one does blow right out the front and when you are felling it kicks up in your face if there isn't any wind. Might also be how I hold the saw, position myself, etc. All I know is my 339XP doesn't do bug me and neither did any of the cheapie poulans I've owned (theres been a lot over the years).

Ya, Barney I'd like to have one. I keep thinking 1 will fall in my lap sooner or later. Its just old Poulan junk so can't be worth too much, right??? Haha

Looks like I will be selling mine even though it's probably just the tuning that is bugging me more than anything else. I just can't pass up a 562XP for $350...wicked saw for a wicked price. Probably keep that one a good long time. PM me if you're interested in the 330. It'll be sold with a 16 b&c as well as the original 22" w/2 chains.

Well I bought the 562XP. It is an absolute beast! I got to cut down two trees with it yesterday and it was just pure fun. The 330 is definitely getting sold. $150 + S/H gets it. It's in great shape and comes with the original 22" bar plus 2 chains as well as a 16" b&c.

Also of note, the 562XP pulls over a lot easier even without using the decompression button. I'm not sure if the 330 just has super high compression or if it's the starter binding up. I will miss the 330, it's been a great saw, but the 562XP is just that much better.

Also, as to the exhaust I think it is primarily the direction it is aimed. A muffler mod and redirection of the exhaust is in order on the 330 in my opinion, but it will be up to whomever buys it. The 562XP doesn't smoke me out at all like the 330 use to.

Also of note, the 562XP pulls over a lot easier even without using the decompression button. I'm not sure if the 330 just has super high compression or if it's the starter binding up. I will miss the 330, it's been a great saw, but the 562XP is just that much better.

Also, as to the exhaust I think it is primarily the direction it is aimed. A muffler mod and redirection of the exhaust is in order on the 330 in my opinion, but it will be up to whomever buys it. The 562XP doesn't smoke me out at all like the 330 use to.

HOORAY 562! I bet that saw is a light saber with that 18'' bar on it. I still haven't even seen mine in person- Randy's still got it.:mad:

HOORAY 562! I bet that saw is a light saber with that 18'' bar on it. I still haven't even seen mine in person- Randy's still got it.:mad:

It is, it's an absolute blast to run. Also it feels like it's probably 1-1.5lbs lighter than the 330 but I haven't actually weighed them and wonder if maybe it's just ergonomics.

It is, it's an absolute blast to run. Also it feels like it's probably 1-1.5lbs lighter than the 330 but I haven't actually weighed them and wonder if maybe it's just ergonomics.

I'm going to say it is the balance of the 562 you are noticing.

2 different type of weight scales showing weights. 562 = 12lbs 12.8oz which translates to 12.8lbs

Mark's 330 PHO weight.

index.php

c66e6577.jpg

Last edited:
Yes at $179 I found them to be irresistable....I think they were the least expensive new pro grade saw I have ever seen. I don't think I would ever sell mine. I think anyone running another brand of new saw in that price range would be shocked if you handed them a 330 to cut with. I have seen the look on thier faces and it is priceless.:msp_biggrin:

Good saws. Thats why I have had 5 of them and still have 2.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm going to say it is the balance of the 562 you are noticing.

2 different type of weight scales showing weights. 562 = 12lbs 12.8oz which translates to 12.8lbs

Mark's 330 PHO weight.

index.php

c66e6577.jpg

I only see the 562 on the scale, where is the picture of the 330?

Latest posts

Back