Keep Poulan Pro 330 or get Poulan Pro 5020 or other saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Odd I see both. I'll post it another way. 330 Mark weighed was 12.70lbs.

View attachment 282890

I think you had to be logged into that other site for it to work. Huh, so they are within .1 lbs of each other then. Must just be better balance then. Any way you cut it, I'm happy.

That's like some of these newer snowmobiles. I had a 1989 Skidoo Mach1 583 liquid, it weighed over 500lbs and was damn near impossible for me to move if I got it stuck. Newer sleds that are in the same weight range are MUCH easier to move and I can only attribute it to better/different balance and weight distribution on the machine.

Also of note, the 562XP pulls over a lot easier even without using the decompression button. I'm not sure if the 330 just has super high compression or if it's the starter binding up. I will miss the 330, it's been a great saw, but the 562XP is just that much better.

Also, as to the exhaust I think it is primarily the direction it is aimed. A muffler mod and redirection of the exhaust is in order on the 330 in my opinion, but it will be up to whomever buys it. The 562XP doesn't smoke me out at all like the 330 use to.

Joe, why dont you post up a picture of the exhaust outlet on the 562 please. I want to see what makes it so much better.

You know I just thought of something. He says his 330 exhaust smokes and smells.

I am betting there might be a crankcase seal leak from bar oil tank and it is sucking bar oil into the crankcase. Had a 3750 do this.

are there any pictures of the muffler outlet? I could be wrong...(it happens) but I think that is what Mark was trying to figure out, what is different about the exhaust exit that makes this saw less "stinky" What direction is it pointed?

I deleted all of the other pics. There is plenty online to look at.

I think the 330 has other issues IMO. Post before this one I made already.

You know I just thought of something. He says his 330 exhaust smokes and smells.

I am betting there might be a crankcase seal leak from bar oil tank and it is sucking bar oil into the crankcase. Had a 3750 do this.

I guess it's possible, but it seems to run just fine. It might even just be tuned rich? But I seriously think it has to do with emissions levels. I mean, the 330 is a great saw, but it is built with 1980's technology. Saws just didn't run as clean back then. But it could be the way it is tuned, or the exhaust angle, or the mix I was running (doubt it since I only noticed it when running it in this saw) etc etc. It's a moot point now as I'm selling it and am more than happy with my new saw. It is worlds better in all aspects as far as I am concerned :clap:

I guess it's possible, but it seems to run just fine. It might even just be tuned rich? But I seriously think it has to do with emissions levels. I mean, the 330 is a great saw, but it is built with 1980's technology. Saws just didn't run as clean back then. But it could be the way it is tuned, or the exhaust angle, or the mix I was running (doubt it since I only noticed it when running it in this saw) etc etc. It's a moot point now as I'm selling it and am more than happy with my new saw. It is worlds better in all aspects as far as I am concerned :clap:

Well now that we know the case has to be split to fix it I will give you 50 bucks for it. :laugh:

interesting how not one of us 5020 owners (includes me) offered up a swap for the 330.

just curious what being able to get a hands on (both type saws) moment, for both parties
would have done to our perspectives?

interesting how not one of us 5020 owners (includes me) offered up a swap for the 330.

just curious what being able to get a hands on (both type saws) moment, for both parties
would have done to our perspectives?

I don't own a 5020 but I've examined a few (including the black "Darth Vader" Craftsman versions). They're good saws for their intended market, but not at all in the same class as the PP330. No way would I trade my PP330 for a 5020...:dizzy:

I am a poulan newbie, but was there a craftsman verson of the pp330? Was the 330 type saws heavier than the 3000 series?

I am a poulan newbie, but was there a craftsman verson of the pp330? Was the 330 type saws heavier than the 3000 series?

There was never a Craftsman version of the Poulan 3450/3750/PP330/PP380 saws to my knowledge. They are the last 'evolution' of the series that included the 3000 and Craftsman 3.3 however. Crankcases and crankshafts are quite similar. Fuel tank/rear handles are similar. Same AV mounts. Similar intake boots and cylinders (as far as outer shape and bulk is concerned).

My PP330 'feels' a tad heavier than my buddy's Craftsman 3.3. That's not surprising, as the top cover/AF cover setup on the PP330 is more bulky than what's on the earlier saws (and that'd make my saw feel a bit more top heavy). His saw has a laminated .325" bar, while mine has an Oregon PowerMatch as well. Both are 20" and have .325 pitch chain.

On the sears Darth Vader version of the 5020:
spotted a C'list add for one for $50 (supposedly)...
guy had the pics of it in the add showing recoil and model numbers etc (no other saw listed).

I emailed with specific model numbers & color etc.
set up a trip (50 odd miles each way)
I get there and he trots out a smaller, different saw... Grumble..
figured since i'm there, just look it over and make an offer.

On the sears Darth Vader version of the 5020:
spotted a C'list add for one for $50 (supposedly)...
guy had the pics of it in the add showing recoil and model numbers etc (no other saw listed).

I emailed with specific model numbers & color etc.
set up a trip (50 odd miles each way)
I get there and he trots out a smaller, different saw... Grumble..
figured since i'm there, just look it over and make an offer.

Shady bugger.....:msp_thumbdn:

Back