Keep those stacks neat!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For all of us firewood guys, I thought I'd post a link to a video I did this past weekend showing how to use one of the best tools out there. It's the Mingo marker - and it makes it very simple and fast to get the right sized sticks of firewood every time. My wife bought me mine from Bailey's and it's quickly becoming my most favorite tool next to my NE346!

By the way - the trees are small because I'm salvaging the wood from my "thinning" project I've been working on this summer.

Here's the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQxSxF1dcPw

Al:cheers:

looks like it works great for long length logs like that ,nothing worse than odd ball cuts of various size in your stack or worse yet your a half inch too long for the stove and gotta pull out a flaming log because the door wouldnt close:jawdrop:

local question

Al, Thanks for the video on the mingo marker,after seeing how slick it works, I am sending in an order to baileys for one.
-I am just dying to get out in the woods and start cutting up my oak wilt killed dead and downed oaks,but we still haven't had a killing frost and I am concerned about spreading oak wilt to my healthy trees.In a recent Wis. DNR publication I was reading that they feel it is safe to cut after July.I am under the impression that this was changed from the original killing frost to killing frost guidelines to accomodate building contracters and the logging industry in Wisconsin. What is your opinion/philosophy on cutting oak in our neck of the woods?
- Also,to other members in the northern midwest, how do you deal with cutting firewood in oak wilt affected areas as far as when do you cut?-ken

That's pretty cool! Unfortunately it would work for only 1 stove, as the other takes 16" logs... would have to use the 14" setting I guess. Might have to put this on the list.

It makes me mad that they don't offer you a choice of what size wheel you want when you order it. I have no need for the 16" wheel and would rather have a 20" which the don't offer.
I believe these are great tools and agree that it can be frustrating when you miss cut and end up with long or under sized wood I just wish they had a few more options.:cry:

Looks like another back busting tool to me, I like what it does for sure but after watching Nikocker bent over walking down the log looks to be tiresome after a day of cutitng. They should make them with a adjustable handle so you don't have to bend over.... AND give you the option of what wheel you want when ordering:)

Love my Mingo. Got it last year and has really sped up the marking process. Only thing takes a while to get used to the spray cans. If you don't lock the wheel when you finish, and throw it in the truck you'll be in for a surprise after it rolls around a bit.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

I got one, and it works pretty good.Although I dont use it a lot when cutting myself, I always drag it out when I have someone cutting with me that may not have the hours behind their saw that they need to hit that 16 inch mark most of the time.Comes in real handy when the weather cools off and the wife likes to cut a bit.

Before I had that thing, I was always amazed at the wood in the trailer.Never could figure out how anyone can miss 16 inches by a good 8 inches sometimes.:censored:

Not too impressed, looks like a gimmick for city guys. Could've had it cut by the time it was marked, callibrate the eyeballs and go to work.

Harumph, Snort! Who needs some fancy tool when all one needs to do is take a 1/4" metal or preferably 1/4-3/8" plastic rod of the right length and attach it using hose clamps to the wrap around bar on one's saw. Attach it to the bottom of the saw using the bar. It should stick out to the left and you just place the saw where the end of the log meets the end of the rod. Bingo, perfect piece of wood every time. $2 Worth of parts that won't clog up and not paint, is always the size you want, and if gets damaged can be replaced for ~$2.

Latest posts

Back