Keeping Carpenter Ants Away

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you mix it or just use the powder form?
larman:confused:

I haven't seen anyone answer this, and I have the same question. Are you sprinkling it on the ground as a powder or mixing it up with water and spraying as a solution?:confused:

I'm no chemist either but my understanding of Borax-type detergents is that the active ingredient is Boron.

I also seem to recall that before the advent of cheap Asbestos & fiberglass insulation, many homes were insulated by natural fiber (hay, straw, hair, cotton) bats that were treated with Boron as a fire-retardant.

Any thoughts as to whether or not spraying (not soaking) your firewood pile with fire retardant is a good idea?:monkey:

Tony

recipe to get rid of ants

Here is a recipe to get rid of those carpenter ants

4 ounces of grape jelly

3 tablespoons of canned catfood

1 tablespoon of boric acid

Mix together and place small chunks where ants can find it.

They will take this back to the nest and queen and it will kill the entire colony.

Make sure you keep this away from pets and children.

Here is a recipe to get rid of those carpenter ants

4 ounces of grape jelly

3 tablespoons of canned catfood

1 tablespoon of boric acid

Mix together and place small chunks where ants can find it.

They will take this back to the nest and queen and it will kill the entire colony.

Make sure you keep this away from pets and children.[/QUOTE

Sounds like a good mix-protein and something sweet and sticky. I've used boric acid and powdered sugar before with good results.

Generally, most of todays insecticides are relatively harmless once they have dried. That being said I don't spray my own piles of firewood. I do put a band treatment around the perimeter of my stacks as well as my house and trees that I have noticed ants feeding and living in. Instead of the pre-mixes available I use insecticides such as malathion and tempo. Both are non-restriced use pesticides that are readily available at any farm supply store. Malathion has the traditional insecticide smell and Tempo is scentless and is also labeled for indoor use.

I sprinkle the perimeter with diatomaceous earth and then sprinkle some boric acid around her and there as I'm building the pile... no ants or termites!

Back