Dilemma re cutting branches touching wires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerLemelin

RogerLemelin

ArboristSite Lurker
Internet company came to install a new fiber optic line but couldn't do it because branches are in the way. There are four branches actually touching the power and DSL lines. It's my responsibility to take care of the branches. They're small, only about 2" or 3" in diameter, and about 12'-15' off the ground. They're about 12 feet out from the tree trunk. I have a manual pole saw which was a bit short. I was able to lengthen it with a piece of PVC pipe. Problem: When I try to saw a branch, it bounces up and down on the wires pretty severely because of the small diameter of the branches. I'm afraid of damaging the DSL wire and losing my internet connection, which is already iffy. In order to saw something, it has to relatively stationary. Any suggestions?

gregozedobe

gregozedobe

ArboristSite Lurker
If you're cutting 12-15' up, most extendable gas, and some electric pole saws will reach just fine.
If you butt the body of the saw up against the branch the rotation of the chain will keep pulling the branch towards the saw body, so the branch should bounce around a lot less than hand sawing. Just be careful not to electrocute yourself and keep the saw well away from the actual power lines (and don't do it at all if there is any moisture around).

RogerLemelin

RogerLemelin

ArboristSite Lurker
UPDATE: Switching to the Corona blade worked! The branches are all down now. By the way, I recommend the Corona Razor Tooth hand pruning saw. It's cheaper than the elite brands and according to some good YouTube reviews it cuts as good as or better than those brands.

Thanks to everyone who educated me about power lines. I took that seriously.

Latest posts