Keeping warm "out there"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like poly pro long under wear over the under armor cold gear. It is a great combination. After that its just some work pants and my lightly lined Carhartt jacket. I only wear the underarmor if I will be working consistently since I tend to get hot fast when I start working.

Layering...bibs, hooded jacket, and an old leather coat over all to block wind. When loading OWB, just leather coat.....keeps smoke smell off too.

lower half: 3 pair of long johns, pair of sweat pants, 2 pair of wool socks, jeans, ice armor bibs
upper half: 2 base under armor long sleeves, 2 pair of thicker camo under armor long sleeves, 2 fleeces, and ice armor jacket.
Been out in -40 F with that set up with not even a chill. Hands are the only thing i'm still working on trying to keep warm

lower half: 3 pair of long johns, pair of sweat pants, 2 pair of wool socks, jeans, ice armor bibs
upper half: 2 base under armor long sleeves, 2 pair of thicker camo under armor long sleeves, 2 fleeces, and ice armor jacket.
Been out in -40 F with that set up with not even a chill. Hands are the only thing i'm still working on trying to keep warm

That's always been my problem, keeping hands warm. Everything else I can cover, but never did find adequate gloves.

The polar vortex cold snap down here has got me thinking I need one generic mid sized firewood saw with the heated handles, like around a 60cc something. Help me be not such a wuss on those crisp cold days where the wood getting would be fun if my hands were warm. As it is now, WUSS OUT. I just hibernate..heheheh

Minus 40 fergit it, I ain't going outside. Double southern fried wuss!

I have Under Armour base 3.0 and they sure are warm. Maybe a bit too heavy if your very active. Better to have a few lighter layers than heavier layers. But I love my UA I wear the bottoms a lot. Especially in this weather. I think they are worth the price. Your most expensive clothes will be your cheapest in the long run. they tend to last longer.

Minus 40 fergit it, I ain't going outside. Double southern fried wuss![/quote]

There ain't no shame in that.

Negative temps just suck the fun outta things.
EVERYTHING wants to break, or not work right, and getting anything done takes longer than normal.

It's perfect for taking a day off and tinkering in the shop, or getting some snowshoeing in though.

I was working outside in a flannel shirt the other day. Light jacket in the morning and flannel shirt the day before. Only use regular strength overalls. When it does get too cold I use a Carhart hooded coat.

Dress different for different activitys.
Even though I love the snow and such at this time of year, I'm not a fan when it gets so very much below zero .
I do need to go outside, I can not just set inside and feed logs into the furnace. That is one thing I don't worry about, what it is costing for fuel to stay warm.
So to go out side I will start with the quick trip to the barn to feed and spent time with my Silly Lily pup. First I start with light weight Dofold long under wear, same if I am going cross country skiing even when it is this cold. Next to run out to the barn is a pair of regular blue jeans and a flannel shirt a pair of what they called moon socks in the 80's that wick moisture away from your feet so they don't freeze in your own sweat. Then to go to the barn I put on a pair of insulated water proof leather boots
A insulated hooded sweat shirt with a insulated Carhart coat on top. A double knit insulated Borg on the head and insulated leather gloves.
If I am going to plow snow with the tractor or blow snow with the blower. I also ad Pac boots for those chores along with bring wood down to the walk out door.
Changes are Carhart insulated bib overalls over the jeans and wind proof pants & heavy weight dufold long under wear instead of the light weight ones a insulated flannel shirt
When X country skiing I wear the wind pants over the jeans only wool socks with the ski boots and go back to a regular flannel shirt.
Snowmobiling I wear heavy weight dufold long under wear instead of the light weight ones. Columbia magnum extreme coat over the matching snow bibs, a turtle fur head cover and a full face helmet with goggles, leather gloves until it is below zero then I switch to leather mittens.

:D Al

Minus 40 fergit it, I ain't going outside. Double southern fried wuss!

There ain't no shame in that.

Negative temps just suck the fun outta things.
EVERYTHING wants to break, or not work right, and getting anything done takes longer than normal.

It's perfect for taking a day off and tinkering in the shop, or getting some snowshoeing in though.[/quote]

Back at the dairy decades ago, the owner had it figgered out and built great for extreme cold weather. You didn't have to go outside at all, or in the elements, you either were in a building or in a heated cab. Seven buildings all connected with walkways and corridors, so at least you were somewhat protected. outside was only for scooping silage, or spreading manure, or getting bales, and that from a heated cab. Even his wood supply stash was in a building connected to the house. Haybarn wasn't connected, but..heated cab there and back.

I was the only doofus who had to be outside 25-30 below, because I walked there back and forth twice a day up and down the mountain. Of course at home I had to be out a lot during the day as well, cutting wood, dragging it out, splitting, etc.

I could handle it then, not now, it would take me a few seasons and putting a lot of weight back on to handle it.

But, tradeoffs, I can work 80-100 degrees F now and not keel over. My trick is no AC, I never get spoiled. I had AC down here once, it always sucked to go out into the heat, now, just another day.

Temps are in the teens this week but we have 6"-8" of snow coming tonight and tomorrow and 4"-6" more coming Saturday :(

Sent from my Autotune Carb

I am waiting for my favorite heavy duty longjohns to come out of the dryer. I'll be wearing them under jeans today. It's windy here and 17 degrees out. The good news is that isn't really horribly cold for me, the sun is out, and life is good here in the banana belt of the PNW. My Up Nort boots also seemed to work their way to the front of the closet. They've got thinsulite in them.

It'll be layers. I don't have a heavy duty coat for working in. They are for skiing.

Fleece or flannel pajama pants as a base layer help a lot.

A few years ago I got Czech military pant liners from Sportsman's Guide. They come up above the kidneys are work GREAT.

I also have a down jacket that I swear by, but I don't wear it for working. When that wears out I will definitely get another, regardless of cost.

But in general, I'm a big fan of wool and fleece. Funny thing about wool, I find that it doesn't keep me "warm", but I'm never "cold" in it.

Back