kick back problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugide

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Help, newbie? I have an older Craftsman 3.7 - 61cc and hasn't many hours on it. I bought it new. Went to start it the other day and it kicked back so hard it almost pulled my fingers off. I thought it maybe was the coil so I bought a junker that had spark and put that coil in, setting the gap with a thin business card. That's about the way the other one was set. But it didn't change a thing. The flywheel is still on the key or at least looks that way. This only does this when you pull about twice on choke. Then fires and kicks back hard. Anybody have any idea? Thanks in advance. Duggie.

You have to be positive about the flywheel key and keyway condition.It could be also the engine being"filled"by leaking gas from your carb or even chain oli coming in the crankcase caused by a leaking crankcase gasket.I dont know those Craftsman,and on the oil leaking in the case,maybe it dont apply to your saw if the oil tank is separate from case.

HiOctane said:
You have to be positive about the flywheel key and keyway condition.It could be also the engine being"filled"by leaking gas from your carb or even chain oli coming in the crankcase caused by a leaking crankcase gasket.I dont know those Craftsman,and on the oil leaking in the case,maybe it dont apply to your saw if the oil tank is separate from case.
Hioctane, It turns over as it should until I choke it, then kicks back in 2 or 3 pulls. It has a separate plastic tank. It has a plastic piece in front of the carb thats open on top, you can see into and that stays dry. the timing was my first thought and i'm not positive about the key. Thanks, duggie

witch 3.7 is it ? is it all metal or, is it got plastic parts on it.if it is the roper stile witch would be the one that is all metal.it has a compression release. if you do not use it it will kick back.then release is the on, off switch on the handle you have to push it down and up as far as it will go then try to start it.if it is the poluan model 3.7 or the one with plastic it does not have compression release that i know of.let us know witch one you have.

Not to be the one to pick fly poop out of pepper, but it should be noted that this phenomenon is NOT the same as bar kickback. You know that, I know that, the vast majority of those who will ever read this thread knows that. But, for that one dude at some point or another:

Just because your saw's starter rope does not retract violently due to high compression, goofed-up ignition timing, or other reasons, DO NOT think your danger from "kickback" are resolved. Look up "kickback" and be aware of the dangers thereof.

dugide said:
Help, newbie? I have an older Craftsman 3.7 - 61cc and hasn't many hours on it. I bought it new. Went to start it the other day and it kicked back so hard it almost pulled my fingers off. I thought it maybe was the coil so I bought a junker that had spark and put that coil in, setting the gap with a thin business card. That's about the way the other one was set. But it didn't change a thing. The flywheel is still on the key or at least looks that way. This only does this when you pull about twice on choke. Then fires and kicks back hard. Anybody have any idea? Thanks in advance. Duggie.

Dugide

Welcome to the site!

What part of Sota you in? I'm from the Crow River area, Colorado now.

You had your awnser, you have the spark too early, there is a chance that your setting the gap not on the highest place of the cam?, or just see if you can get them closer till it dosant buck the rope,,,, it's not a rocket, close should work if it starts well and will still rap-out.

Good Luck!

Kevin

shorefast is right but if you can start it with the compression release. i would leave the timing alone. it will run much better with it advanced.have done it on lots of saws.if no compression release than more gap should fix the problem.just make shure your coil is not hiting or rubbing your flywheel.

kick back

Thanks to everyone for your help, my hand wouldn't take anymore so I took it to a new shop that just opened near me. he had it running in about 5 minutes. said someone has been running it around paint spray, filter couldn't breath and choked it. rebuilt carb and runs like new. I had been cutting some 4x4s near guys spray painting, Dumb. Someone asked where I lived, I'm near Brainerd, thanks again, Duggie.

Back