Kick starting a Mc101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shtoink

shtoink

ArboristSite Member
I wonder if this setup might work with the reverse of how yo have it setup. What I mean is having a rubber tire or something equivalent to press a wheel attatched to the flywheel down on. This way you can pick it straight up and go after applying downward pressure to get the saw started.

A possible option that still involves a belt may be to run two more pullies creating a triangular shape. The motor would be directly above where you would push the saw down on the belt to get it started.photo You would have to run the motor in the opposite direction, but it still works on the same principal.

This is a quick drawing of what I mean...

sawstarter.jpg

I suppose this method might be inverted to allow the saw to be on top of everything, so you just lift and go.

My only concern with the belt getting pulled up against is the possibility of getting hung up when exiting the apparatus in a hurry and injuring your self in the process. With the saw going like butt crazy, you have a very high potential for masive injurries and death. The last thing you need is to get snagged and fall face first in the the furious teeth of the saw you just got running.

ozflea

ozflea

Good ol' BP Zoom 25-1
Shtoink this is a very similier setup to what the Karters use except it's not hand held, all thats reqired with this setup is you let the weight off the belt and withdraw the saw sideways, you would have noticed that the belt is held vertically by a guide and the starter motor pulley has a high lip on the outside to stop the belt from laying over and as soon as the starter motor stops so does the belt.

Plus by having the saw pull up to start you can keep enough tension on the belt to get a good start and very little slippage.

The only thing open to more testing is getting the ratio right as far as gearing is concerned.

Mc Bob.

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ha,I just caught it.I wondered what ole McBob was going to do with that Speigel bar.Now I know. :) Now,on those pulley sizes,the old karters just used a Mac starter cup on the saw and about a 2 to 2 1/2" on the starter motor.I use a long shafted Ford starter to start the pony motor on a D4 Cat.