Killed my Dolmar 5100S??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tom, I'm just wondering what percentage of saws fail because of the operater(dull chain, bad fuel,no oil in gas,etc)and what percent fail because of an actual defect in the saw.
I'm thinking a high percentage of the operator.:monkey:

I'd guess around 98% from some of the above things and the ones that keep running them when the saws not running right, air leak, clogged carb. Steve

Absolutely. But what computeruser was getting at is that it wasn't because it was a Dolmar. The same thing could have happed with an MS260. It could have happened to any brand, any saw. I've heard similar complaints from Stihl users, Husky users alike. But it's also not his fault if he has a crappy dealer.

Yup, there is good dealers and bad dealers in all makes and shapes.:givebeer:

:agree2:

I love Kentucky Fried Chicken. Grew up with it, love Original Recipe and some mashed potatoes and gravy, man that sounds so good sometimes! However, there's a bunch of teenage dolts that work there, and half the time, they get my order wrong. Or the gravy is leaking all over the bag, and they forget my napkins. So I drive off pissed, and it takes me a few good months before I work up the nerve to pay $8 bucks for $4 bucks worth of chicken, and I go in prepared for the worst. If the employees actually cared, I'd eat there more. As it sits, I can't blame the gravy for leaking into the bag, but I can certainly blame the idiot that put it in upside down!

Last edited:
Thall...as the OP I would normally agree with you re dull chains and dust. In my experience the exception is that Osage Orange always cuts as (horrible yellow) dust, even with a newly sharp chain. I can cut Osage Orange and get dust. I can then immediately cut Eastern Red Cedar and get lovely chips.

Woo hoo, sorry I missed your post here. So your the man that has the dead 5100. This wood you speak of many have told me it doesn't chip well and makes alot of dust so therefore ignore my thoughts on a possile dull chain killing your saw.

Lets cut to the chase and get down to business about your saw. How old is it, is it under warranty?? If it is chances are good they will take care of it.

I only got involved in this thread when I saw my buds Lake and Cuttinscott poking at each other. I thought whats going on here, they usually don't fuss like that toward each other. I've read alot of the posts concerning the 5100 and since I own one I was curious.

The talk about E10 is pointless because in many states thats the only gas at the pumps to buy. They use E10 at the Stihl factory at Va Beach and they're shipping out over 4 million powerheads a year there with no major problems with E10 fuel. Switching to 40:1 fuel mix I, from what I've been shown and taught at Stihl, tends to show it does more harm than good. May be ok for a old worn saw but these new saws don't need it.

Back to your saw how long was it running in this hardwood before it starting acting up on ya???

Thall..no problem. With so many posts in this thread it is easy to get lost in the forest :)

The saw is less than 12 months old, and has always run "hot" from day one, even cutting wood other than Osage (I posted previously here with that issue). As my first chainsaw I lack experience to successfully diagnose small high performance engine problems, but I suspected something has never been right. I can successfully sharpen chain since it chips nicely in anything except Osage Orange. I resharpen every refill and sometimes inbetween if I have been working on Osage Orange. I also know to let the saw pull/swivel into the wood.

I can only get E10, but always use less than fresh gas (3 to 4 weeks max), good chainsaw synthetic oil, and it ran hot on both 40:1 and 50:1. It was last running 50:1 using Stihl Ultra synthetic with 3 week old gas. Also the high speed carb was at the factory setting and could not be richened due to the limiter. At that WOT was 14,500 rpm - right at the limit.

Actually now you remind me, this has been a constant problem. So I should at least try the warranty route first, although I was getting prepared to pay to get it repaired.

This poor guy!! tough crowd tonight!!

Tom, Hedge is NASTY!!! Green it cuts like hard seasoned Oak. Not uncommon to se sparks flying off the stuff.

Seasoned, well I just really don't know how to explain it to you!! Have you seen what railroad ties do to a chain? It's worse!!
I guess until you cut some it's hard to understand.

Thall..no problem. With so many posts in this thread it is easy to get lost in the forest :)

The saw is less than 12 months old, and has always run "hot" from day one, even cutting wood other than Osage (I posted previously here with that issue). As my first chainsaw I lack experience to successfully diagnose small high performance engine problems, but I suspected something has never been right. I can successfully sharpen chain since it chips nicely in anything except Osage Orange. I resharpen every refill and sometimes inbetween if I have been working on Osage Orange. I also know to let the saw pull/swivel into the wood.

I can only get E10, but always use less than fresh gas (3 to 4 weeks max), good chainsaw synthetic oil, and it ran hot on both 40:1 and 50:1. It was last running 50:1 using Stihl Ultra synthetic with 3 week old gas. Also the high speed carb was at the factory setting and could not be richened due to the limiter. At that WOT was 14,500 rpm - right at the limit.

Actually now you remind me, this has been a constant problem. So I should at least try the warranty route first, although I was getting prepared to pay to get it repaired.

the limit caps should have been pulled by your dealer and richened up. if your dealer won't warranty it contact Dolmar, sounds like you have an honest complaint.

Back