Kinetic Wood splitter...Beating a dead horse.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustyplans

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, I have looked through and read many posts on building a kinetic wood splitter. Now my next question is, does anyone have any old sketches or drawings of ones they have built and are willing to share. I want to build one, just don't want to start from the ground up. I like to see what others have done and go from there.

There was one or two kinetic splitter build threads on here years ago. I found them and this fourm 4 years ago when searching SS splitters. I was goin to build one myself, but bought a Super Split.

No matter how many times I watch the spinning wheel of death and it still surprises me how DUMB some people are. LOL "it worked really good" Good as compared to what, trying to split wood with a rubber mallet?

That wheel of death is not something I would want to use. I am interested in something like the Super split, or the concept of it. Maybe I need to give a little more background here.

I am a shop teacher, I teach welding and machining as well as woods and CADD/Engineering. So I have time and materials on my side. I have a good group of students that would like to see if this is a project that we can do, in a more or less controlled environment, not in the back yard with improper equipment to do the job. That spinning wheel of death is looking really dangerous.

That wheel of death is not something I would want to use. I am interested in something like the Super split, or the concept of it. Maybe I need to give a little more background here.

I am a shop teacher, I teach welding and machining as well as woods and CADD/Engineering. So I have time and materials on my side. I have a good group of students that would like to see if this is a project that we can do, in a more or less controlled environment, not in the back yard with improper equipment to do the job. That spinning wheel of death is looking really dangerous.

Can you maching your own rack and pinion and heat treat? If so then you could easilly make your own super super-splitter for really cheap. Look on youtube on how the rack engages the pinion, that is the heart of the machine really.

Can you maching your own rack and pinion and heat treat? If so then you could easilly make your own super super-splitter for really cheap. Look on youtube on how the rack engages the pinion, that is the heart of the machine really.
Way more economical to buy the rack and pinion. I have a shop full of metal working machines, full blacksmith shop, forges and heat treating ovens. Be a royal pain in the s$$ to machine the rack & pinion & most shops have no way to heat treat something as long as the rack. Plus the alloy choice and heat treating have to be spot on!

I will buy the rack and Pinion. Or salvage one from an old baler like was done in a video in a previous post. To buy, I found lengths of 12, 24, 48 inches. I think I will go with a 48" just to assure the length of stroke needed. 24 will not punch a whole 24 and stay in contact.

Do you all think that metal weights from a weight room will work for a flywheel? Just an Idea we were bouncing around with....one of the big plates is 45 lbs. a couple of this spinning around would have a bit of energy in them....

Latest posts

Back