"Knotically Challanged"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
If you were hiring a new groundman and you required him to know four knots, what would they be? I have always adhered to the saying "If you can tie knots, tie lots" , learned the basics many years ago when I was a glorified Boatswain/Swabbie for a summer, plus others when working in the Aerial Delivery world, and obviously learned which ones were required by a groundie, at least at the three companies I have worked for. I find myself in a position where I am meeting with a potential boss sometime this next week, and would obviously like to make a good first impression, plus knowing these = more $$$$.

The 4 knots I use the most for groundmen are a bowline/ running bowline, figure 8, sheet bend and slipknot. For myself, I also use the double fisherman's, cow hitch, timber hitch and others. Not including friction hitches, of course.

Bowline,
Sheetbend,
Clove hitch,
Timberhitch.
If the guy is still struggling. He could just practice his sheetbend and a girth hitch- three of my top 4 are the knots he would get to UNTIE a lot.

Good Question!

Though once again i agree with Stumper, about untying being the most repetitive skill.

Undo screw gate and unchoke, put back in eye of line- most every load is in sling here, partially to avoid knot problems on ground.

As far as knots:

Undo bowlines.

Midline, overhand slip,
Tie girth on hook of polesaw, other items;
Midline doubled overhand for saws etc. and 2 for positive mechanical stopper knot behind wraps on anything.

We use slings metal linked in serieis with one sling generally a whoopie for porty. Have all kinds of shackles and heavy duty karabs, 'scrap' rope lengths with eyes in ends (bowlines), for all kinds of handles, extensions and anchorings that should make strong, positive connections quickly.

For myself beyond friction hitches: double bowlines, muenter, clove, butterfly/linemans for midline. i use slings a lot to clip to bowline eye; that i keep yosemite tie off on for more security and for a cleaner opening to access all day in and out with karabs; keeping one in the loop for hanging line, with same bowline eye.

That is discounting leading half hitches and adding a sheetbend as open bowline, counting a Stillson as a muenter/girth lacing backed up by half hitches. If the force is to pull down in Stillson, i think it is imperative that the first turn comes under the eye/pulley to immediately choke close/self tighten upon loading.

Last edited:
Here are the knots I usualy show and their levele of importance to me

1. slip knot
  2. clove
  3. eight on-a-bight
  4. slippery hitch (like a sheet bend, but easier to undo)
  5. bo'lin
  6. nine on a bight
  7. stilson
  8. timber
    [/list=1]

1 is easiest to teach and I use fot a pully stopper.

2 for sending tools like pole saws up

3 to clip my water on, tie the chainsw off on the wrap bar, return a riging line on my climbing line...

4 to bend second ropes onto

5 tip tie a rigging line for me

6 handle on a pull rope

7&8 for attaching redirects and a PW.

1. Bowline/upside down sheet bend (same knot, different purposes)

2. Clove hitch on a bight (tie on gear)

3. Bowline on a bight (knot to pull on, use to set up a pulley system)

4. Slip knot (many uses)

Has anyone else used a running anchor bend as an alternate to a running bowline?
The knot is really a capsized double fisherman's, but is much much easier to undo. I have used it for many things from tying on my climbing line up in the tree for srt to using it wherever i would usually use a running bowline in rigging.

Merci beaucoup........and tanx too

Had the interview yesterday and it appears I have a job at some point later this winter once things gear up.....I already knew the knots required however I have been working with my book "25 Knots for Klutzes" which is a good refresher and I am learning some new ones.

Mitch, congratulations on the new job :) Let's just hope this company is better than the past (2 or 3?) that you have worked for :p

i think this place could/should be an authority on stuff like these knots and have them shown, made, proper and slang named etc. like the best authoritave resource for the internet towards our slant. With, uses and tricks that some of the mountaineering, spelunking folke would refer to for that comprehensive overview from crossing over to similar disciplines, and seeing how they handle similar situations with similar tools,as we have looked to them previously.

i think a simple thing like a knot tender to move a frictin hitch can be employed in many rope machines on farms, factories etc. Out of that more newbies and oldies would visit. i think they lend great flexability, power and control, expanding the amount of things a rope can do. This would be a great service and draw. That could be good for us and the sponsors as well; not to mention the new themselves. i wish i started out with Sherrill, i wish there was a place like this 10 years ago.

Back