Kohler engine question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
i'm swapping my 18hp briggs engine on my log splitter for a Kohler 12.5 hp engine.

the briggs needs some internal work (rings and a valve job) so i'm throwing the Kohler on. my question is there are two wires coming off the engine. one is white and the other is black. the black wire comes from a small flat square box which i believe is a diode. i'm thinking this is the charge wire and the white wire is for shut off.

am i correct?

it's a cv12.5s engine. any Kohler experts out there?

i'm swapping my 18hp briggs engine on my log splitter for a Kohler 12.5 hp engine.

the briggs needs some internal work (rings and a valve job) so i'm throwing the Kohler on. my question is there are two wires coming off the engine. one is white and the other is black. the black wire comes from a small flat square box which i believe is a diode. i'm thinking this is the charge wire and the white wire is for shut off.

am i correct?

it's a cv12.5s engine. any Kohler experts out there?

The little square box should have A on one side and I or Ignition on the other! Is it breakerless ign or battery?

Last edited:
The little square box should have A on one side and I or Ignition on the other! Is it breakerless ign or battery?

the black wire is the only wire coming from that box. there are two leads that feed into it (the box)from under the flywheel.

the white wire is coming from somewhere else in the engine. i still think the white wire in the KILL switch wire.

the black wire is the only wire coming from that box. there are two leads that feed into it (the box)from under the flywheel.

the white wire is coming from somewhere else in the engine. i still think the white wire in the KILL switch wire.

I have the book on them sitting here but it is not color coded
you are most likely right does it have a standard coil and points or is it breakerless?

I have the book on them sitting here but it is not color coded
you are most likely right does it have a standard coil and points or is it breakerless?

i don't think it has points. it appears to be electronic ignition, altho i never pulled the flywheel.

the motor came off a cub cadet garden tractor....if that matters.

thanks for the help!!! i appreciate it. i'm going to hopefully get it mounted today and maybe running. i just wanted to make sure the wires were right before i burn out a stator or something. lol

Does this look similar? The upper wire is coming from the voltage regulator. It goes to the battery. The lower White wire is color coded to the shut off wire. Generally they are grounded when off.

Don

Does this look similar? The upper wire is coming from the voltage regulator. It goes to the battery. The lower White wire is color coded to the shut off wire. Generally they are grounded when off.

Don

yep!!!

that's exactly it.

gees...that remote oil filter looks good.

so, that flat square box is a voltage regulator?

if i feel ambitious today, i'll try mounting it. i made a template of the mounting holes and made a jig to align with the pump.

Last edited:
That explained it great I am not sure mine would be anywhere
near as my 12.5 is horizontal and cast iron block early seventies
on my 128 cub cadet! The kohler book I have goes from k91 to k341
and the rectifier regulator is shown in the breakerless ignition section
but no color is specified those are tough engines. I re ringed my 12.5
about ten years ago and mowed and mowed and now its time to do
it again and may bore it this time!

i'm debating if reworking that 18hp briggs is going to be worth it or not. it's vintage 1988.

it definately needs rings and the valves done and it needs a new carb. i might be better off finding another that runs.....

i'm debating if reworking that 18hp briggs is going to be worth it or not. it's vintage 1988.

it definately needs rings and the valves done and it needs a new carb. i might be better off finding another that runs.....

My kohler was worth it even though parts seemed expensive I got
ten years out of around 276.00 and that was a lot of mowing grass
I weekly mowed acer and a half! My mower is cast iron rear end they
don't make em like that anymore and actual gears with shifter tough
garden tractor! My neighbor bought a new Kubota and it got stuck
where mine did not spin!

My kohler was worth it even though parts seemed expensive I got
ten years out of around 276.00 and that was a lot of mowing grass
I weekly mowed acer and a half! My mower is cast iron rear end they
don't make em like that anymore and actual gears with shifter tough
garden tractor! My neighbor bought a new Kubota and it got stuck
where mine did not spin!

right now i have an ad on craigslist trying to swap an vintage 27hp Wisconsin engine WWII era, (hand-crank-to-start) for an 18hp engine to replace mine. i'll see if any one has any interest.

i mounted the Kohler, did the wiring and tried it out. this engine didn't strain at all splitting a double knot 20" diameter log today. in fact, i didn't notice anything different from the 18hp engine at all.

a little FYI tip i did: my engines are vertical shaft. once i eye-balled the shafts to each other, i wrapped the two love-joy couplings with a piece of sheet metal, then place a radiator hose clamp over that so it worked like a ring compressor. the engine would then move slightly as i tightened the clamp, aligning itself with the pump. this ensured me that my mounting holes were correct.

my pump is a 22/11 two stage and that 12.5 hp engine didn't even strain. maybe anything larger is really over kill for a log splitter?

anyways, thanks for the help with the wires. i also went on ebay today and some guy is selling Kohler engine service manuals for under 5 bucks and they are on pdf file that you download. i grabbed it and he sent me service manuals for every Kohler engine out there. not bad for 5 bucks!!

Latest posts

Back