L.A.'s and minds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just got back from a disease consult.

Two oaks (Q fusiformis x virginianna) were indicating water stress and drought extremes - the bark was seperate but live tissue subduction, no mycelia or any odiferous indications of pathogens (haven't cultured the samples yet though). What conditions were this:

Excavated planting holes, to dimension everything okay. Trunk size were 15-yr old trees, transplanted two years ago. Calciferous and high pH, backfilled with mixtures of composted peat moss, pea gravel aggregate, etc. Mild 8% slope, good water drainage and irrigation supplied. Everything looked okay.
No peripheral indications of disease, healthy neighborhood and no histories. Crappy home designs though (IMO). Pine bark mulch overburden.

Okay, why?

Underneath the mulch was a 8mil RUBBER mat. with one perforation for water percolation about a 2" dia hole for the entire 150 sq. ft root zone. He said a cousin, a Master's degree in landscape horticulture recommended the mat to keep weeds in check.

Okay. We loose the mat. Air. Need more air.

The cousin calls as I come in the door. He's pissed. He tells me trees need water, not air. What am I, some kind of hippie vegan type that probably wears body jewelery that's pierced and stuff?

Okay, forget the mat. Screw the trees I tell him. Weeds are bad and we need to keep 'em from ruining our landscapes.

So he then asks "what do you recommend then, I mean normal stuff?" I said Miracle Grow then. Buy a quart and pour it on. Also maybe some 2,4-D (weed-be-gone) and make sure those weeds don't come in, ever. This was what he was going to suggest anyway he tells me.

He thanked me, apologized for being "overprotective" of his cousin's oaks, and asked that I send him the bill.

Okay.

I wasn't going to charge anything. Now I'm working on the invoice. It'll be high 'cause this expert advice came hard earned, he needs to spend more money, and everything will be allright forever. I finally figured out how to make more money. I'm going to agree with everyone from now on, especially experts with design degrees.

At least you didn't wrap him up in a rubber mat with it bound tight around his head and ask,"Do you want air, or do you want water?"

Some people !!:eek:

Latest posts

Back