Label Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there a way to cleanly remove the aluminum rivets that hold the Stihl logo labels on? I am trying to restore a couple of 020's and would like to replace the labels.

I agree, just drill them out. I use a biggerbit to just take off the head and then push the remaining part out with a punch.

Which reminds me, I actually have a plate from my old TerraJet sitting in front of my computer that I took off to get the paint off so I could see the serial number. Now I need to put it back on!

These are blind holes, so it would be difficult to use a punch to drive them out. I was hoping that someone has been able to get a screw driver or other tool under the head to pop them out.

Not without gouging what you're trying to save. Just start with a tiny drill bit and drill through the center of the rivet. If it doesn't come apart, step up a size and drill it again. Very easy, I could do it in less time than it takes to explain it.

If you stick a prydriver under the rivet, you will gouge the tag.

RES said:
Is there a way to cleanly remove the aluminum rivets that hold the Stihl logo labels on? I am trying to restore a couple of 020's and would like to replace the labels.

cleanly? Then drill them out, you'll wreck it prying them off. Of course that's been said already :bang:

skwerl said:
Not without gouging what you're trying to save. Just start with a tiny drill bit and drill through the center of the rivet. If it doesn't come apart, step up a size and drill it again. Very easy, I could do it in less time than it takes to explain it.

If you stick a prydriver under the rivet, you will gouge the tag.

Dont forget to centerpunch the rivet heat to keep the drill from walking.....

Back