Lakeside, are you swimming yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to go buy a couple of new chains for Twinkle but can't get there from here. Our East County seems ok, we just got winds up from 2000 feet elevation. I came in early yesterday as did everybody else. Trees were trying to commit suicide. The road was a foot of slush. I was cutting a blowdown out and slipped in the snow and the chain hit the asphalt of the road. It doesn't have many sharpenings left in it. I can't see how things are this morning yet. I carried a toothbrush and extra undies yesterday and will for the rest of the winter. My nightmare is being stuck on a landing with the crew and the tobacco products run out!! I carry extra food and coffee but the chew and cigarettes would be tooo costly. I've been on a crew when the cigarettes ran out, then the chew and things weren't very nice.:jawdrop: :jawdrop: Well, I best go file on Twinkle. I can't remember whether I threw my camera in or not. :confused:

Good to hear the east county's doing alright. Y'all got hammered last year. Couple of people died, houses washed down the river...

Good luck to all of you on the wet side of the mountains, I'm packing up to move back to the dry side. Hope the lake isn't too close to the house...

Y'all stay safe up there. Sounds like the forecast is for the rain to end and the winds to lay down.

I'll be heading to Seattle on business next Tuesday, and I'm hoping I will have a little time to see some real PNW timber while I'm there.

My home was flooded in 1998 after a summer thunderstorm with torrential rain that dumped about 3" of rain in an hour or so. The complete village was hit during the night. I was able to keep the water out of the house and basement, but my house was literally in the midst of a river a that time. If you see your home and everything in it you worked so hard for, endangered in such moment, and there's nothing you can do about it, I can tell you it's a nightmare. I sure don't wish it to happen to anybody.

We never had the problem again since, but everytime I see pics on television about floodings and the people hit, I really feel sorry for them.

Plus we had quite a bit of snow up in the foothills from last week that melted and helped fill those rivers...

We didn't get hit as hard up here in the North Sound as down south.

The Skagit crested above average... but not above flood stage... Whew!

Gary

Gas, how far north are you?

My neighborhood just got soaked in the rain, I have about a half gallon on my garage floor from the wind bloing it through the cracks. Lakesides pics and the news show a different story for everyone else, though. Thurston and Lewis county guys got hammered, same with Seattle and north. Pierce county seems to have been spared, at least Tacoma and Lakewood.

I am up North on Whidbey Island... Not raining right now... just windy.

Niko... Jeff is just fine. Talked to him this morning. The Northern half of the Oympic Penninsula where he lives got hit hard too... but Jeff is okay.

Gary

Our end of the county is still fine. One detour to make but it is not unusual to have to make this time of year. Our flooding is no where near what it was last year. Irony for the day. I'm cutting blowdown out of a road so people can get up the road to close roads--gates. :dizzy:

This one pretty much says it all:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/photos/popupV2.asp?SubID=3306&page=4&GTitle=Winter Storm

This next photo is about the same as what I look like around here during and after these kinds of sorms. Though this year the 20 ton rock wier that I put in is keeping a waterfall from erroding out the road into this place on the small feeder stream, which is about the same size of this one:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/photos/popupV2.asp?SubID=3306&page=27&GTitle=Winter Storm

Been here, done this...

Last edited:
Does anyone know where Jeff is this time???

Damn Niko, I ain't logged on here in over a month. I figger'd I was long forgotten, but then you go and ask about me! :cheers:

I'm doin fine. I live in what's known as the "Rainshadow." I live inland enough off the coast so that most of the water is dumped when it gets here, and before it picks up again before it gets to Seattle, and Andy's house. Plus, Andy lives in the "convergence zone" which is a meteorlogical mess.

We got some rain, but no trees down, no power out, no flooding, nothing! We've been busy though pulling people out of it though. We had all three helos launched when this thing hit. It's a mess.

I'm doing good though. It's fishin season, and I'm getting ready to be WAY gone for a few months, so I've not been around. Gary keeps me up to date on the AS world though!

Jeff

Damn Niko, I ain't logged on here in over a month. I figger'd I was long forgotten, but then you go and ask about me! :cheers:

I'm doin fine. I live in what's known as the "Rainshadow." I live inland enough off the coast so that most of the water is dumped when it gets here, and before it picks up again before it gets to Seattle, and Andy's house. Plus, Andy lives in the "convergence zone" which is a meteorlogical mess.

We got some rain, but no trees down, no power out, no flooding, nothing! We've been busy though pulling people out of it though. We had all three helos launched when this thing hit. It's a mess.

I'm doing good though. It's fishin season, and I'm getting ready to be WAY gone for a few months, so I've not been around. Gary keeps me up to date on the AS world though!

Jeff

Well, good on you then, and nice to see you around!

- and have a nice journey to "way gone".....:laugh:

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back