Laminated bar & bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First off, I have a Husky 359 with a cheap laminated bar,I am going to use this bar til it is wore out then replace it with an upgraded bar, what bar do you guys recomend, also I have been running husky bar oil but have found some for about have the price (poulan oil) ,is there any differance or is it just the name. (20" bar) can you also tell me how to tell when a bar needs to be raplaced.

Last edited:
My 359 came with an Oregon power match bar. I am not real happy with it as it is too soft for my needs. I wanted a GB Titanium bar but evidently GB does not think the small mount Husky pattern is not worth manufacturing in TI. (I think that the person in charge of GB's website must have passed on and GB thinks that the guy is on vacation.) I am looking myself for a decent bar that can handle cutting a lot of dead elm and locust and be usable for bore cutting. The Total brand Super Bar was recommended here. I found on line that the smallest Gage it was offered in for the small mount Husky is .058. All of my chains are .050. So the search continues.

I have been using Stihl bar oil and have been pleased with it. No issues. I bought 3 cases back in the spring when oil prices were starting to rocket for $32. per case. Just do not use waste (used) motor oil. :chainsaw:

bar

I like the replaceable tip bars. I use windsor speed tip bars from bailey's. Search around here (i have) and all the posts and threads basically simplify to saying that you should use a brand name bar oil, and no subsitutes. I use the husky bar oil and husky xp two-stroke oil.

I to bought a 359 with a laminate bar. It compressed so much when tightening the bar nuts that the chaine wouldn't move. Took me a whole day to figure out!! Bought a Speedtip (solid bar, about 4 oz more if I remember correctly (on my 3rd bourbon,,, osorry)() Have not looked back.

Luke said:
I to bought a 359 with a laminate bar. It compressed so much when tightening the bar nuts that the chaine wouldn't move. Took me a whole day to figure out!! Bought a Speedtip (solid bar, about 4 oz more if I remember correctly (on my 3rd bourbon,,, osorry)() Have not looked back.

How hard did you tighten that bar ??

bar oil

I use Baileys bar oil.Motion lotion,works great.Tried that Poulan oil from Wally world..NFG.Boiled on chain and bar and really gummed up.Now if the oil in the jug is red,it works OK!I think that is Echo.But the color is never the same.
Ed

miller1 said:
First off, I have a Husky 359 with a cheap laminated bar,I am going to use this bar til it is wore out then replace it with an upgraded bar, what bar do you guys recomend, also I have been running husky bar oil but have found some for about have the price (poulan oil) ,is there any differance or is it just the name. (20" bar) can you also tell me how to tell when a bar needs to be raplaced.

My local dealer sells Husky bar oil for $4.59/gal. If you are close to a Menards, they sell Quaker State for $3.88. I use the Poulan oil only for the Aux oiler or in the winter since it is thinner and flows better in the cold.

Use a thickness gauge to check the depth of the rail, compare it to a driver tang. When you have less than 1/16" gap between the bottom of the driver and the bottom of the groove, it's time for a new bar. Check with Bailey's, they were closing out some Carlton bars which are pretty good.

Mark

Since I've been carving I started using the 91 series oregon laminated bars, and don't seem to have all that much trouble with them. The bars cost as much as a replaceable tip, and seem to last as long. But this is carving and not bucking wood, where you get tips pinched, and pry it out, and other such things. The hardest thing was learning to sharpen the smaller chain, small is alot harder to see, and I break the small files alot.

you guys are very lucky, over here in the UK, the cost of bar oil is stupid, for a non branded make of medium viscosity it is £11.44 per gallon, 22.544808 US$. we dare not look at branded oils, would have to rob a bank.

mav

Mike Maas said:
Twenty-two dollars a gallon?!?
How much is soybean oil?

hi mike, i haven't looked into it yet as i don't use a hell of a lot of oil, but i will find out now out of curiosity and let you know.

mav

sit down guys this is currently the cheapest supply of stihl bar oil i can find, UK£ 21.50 = 42.37005 US$ per gallon. We have to thank our Gordon Brown for such high levels of tax on every thing, he's such a nice bloke"**nt"

mav

Thanks for the info, I think I will stick with the husky oil for 7.00 per gallon.

Back