Land Clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millerstree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
WE HAD A REQUEST FOR CLEARING 3 1/2 ACRES TODAY. ANYTHING 6 INCHES AND SMALLER GETS CUT AND CHIPPED, ANYTHING FROM 4 TO 6 INCHES THE STUMPS HAVE TO BE GRINDED,95% OF THE LOT IS 3 INCHES AND SMALLER, IT GETS CUT FLUSH WITH THE GROUND. THERE IS ABOUT 3 CORD OF WOOD ON THE GROUND WHICH IS BIGGER THAN MY CHIPPER CAN HANDLE WHICH WILL HAVE TO BE HAULED AWAY WITH A COST OF $80.00 DUMP FEE. ALL THE CHIPS WILL BE LEFT BEHIND. THE END RESULT IS PROPERTY THAT CAN BE BRUSH HOGGED. THE PROPERTY RIGHT NOW IS VERY DENCE AND YOU HAVE TO HUNCH OVER TO WALK THROUGH ANYTHING ABOVE 6 INCHES THAT IS FOUND TO BE BAD WILL BE ADDED TO THE BILL AFTER THE JOB HAS BEEN STARTED. THIS JOB IS FEDERALLY FUNDED THE WILL RECIEVE 3 BIDS. EQUIPMENT THAT WILL BE USED ON JOB 4 X 4 CHIP TRUCK, 4 X4 TRACTOR, BANDIT 250 CHIPPER AND DUMP TRAILER. WE HAVE NOT DONE A JOB THIS BIG AND WE FEEL WE SHOULD BID THIS JOB BY THE ACRE. WHAT WOULD BE A FAIR PRICE TO BID THIS JOB BY THE ACRE TO ENSURE THAT WE WIN THE BID. WE ARE OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS. ALSO WE WILL HAVE SIX GUYS ON THE JOB NOT TO MENTION THAT THE JOB IS 30 MILES AWAY THANK AMY :help:

Land clearing means an excavator (big) with a rake and a thumb. A chipper and stump grinder are the wrong tools for this job. I have done land clearing as well as tree work and know of what I speak. Excavator and a tub grinder, a good operator and another guy to run the tub could maybe do this in a couple of days. Your way will take weeks, waste of time, don't go there.

I'm with clearence on this one, this is a job for heavy equipment, I learned the hard way about clearing small thick brush, I lost money, you can't really compete with people who clear land because they have dozers and stuff for that type of work.

They Want No Dozers Or Other Heavy Equipment On Property. They Stated To Us, Cut Flush With Ground With Saws And Chipped. Anything 4 To 6 Inches Cut, Chipped And Grinded Out. We Would Like To Get Some Advice On Bidding This Correctly To There Requirements. We Would Be Very Thankful To Any Help Anyone Could Give Us. Thanks Amy

bid it as you would with any other job, figure what it will cost you to do the job and the hours involved and bid accordingly.

here's what I do, I have a price per hour that I must make in order to profit so I figure hours, fuel, equipment and paying employees, once you know the cost of the job then you can add profit margin and bid. but I still wouldn't do a clearing job, they take to long and I never figure them right so I end up losing......lol........

They Want No Dozers Or Other Heavy Equipment On Property. They Stated To Us, Cut Flush With Ground With Saws And Chipped. Anything 4 To 6 Inches Cut, Chipped And Grinded Out. We Would Like To Get Some Advice On Bidding This Correctly To There Requirements. We Would Be Very Thankful To Any Help Anyone Could Give Us. Thanks Amy

I used to be able to figure it in units of brush and man hours
but been too long ago to remember. I also would use a dozer
or brown tree cutter excavator or my bid would be high as it
would end up making me miss out on some real money.

Miller- We would charge between $1000 to $1300 per acre to mow/mulch it down to the dirt here. Govt jobs have been going very cheap lately though, around 400-500 $ per acre. Hope this helps. BTW depending on how wet it is we could do the job in 1-2 days with only 3 men and two mulchers. But then again we are a lot farther south! Good Luck

What is their reason for not wanting big equipment on the site??? sounds like a PIA, when I do clearing I use the big stuff. Maybe you can get away with bobcat sized equipment?

If so add up your normal overhead and add the rental fees 1.5 to 2 times to get the price.

Good luck, gov contracts = loss in my book. Unless you got some FEMA work...lol

i definatly would not even attempt the job if i was told not to use a bobcat. what do they expect you to use . horse drawn log haulers and hack saws ?

$5000-$6500 per acre!!!!!!!! for chipping >4" material and leaving onsite?:confused: I seriously need to relocate. Wonder if it is just a regional thing? People around here are CHEAP. Or maby we are just cheap labor

$5000-$6500 per acre!!!!!!!! for chipping >4" material and leaving onsite?:confused: I seriously need to relocate. Wonder if it is just a regional thing? People around here are CHEAP. Or maby we are just cheap labor

Too many startups and cut throats and illegals you pick the
order of importance. :monkey:

we did a 3 acre job for a car dealer,, expanding parking lot....mostly thick with sapplings and briars.. about 40 trees 6- 30 inches,,mostly 6-12,,,,all flop and chip.. brought a guy in with a HYDRO AX , with a mower.. was , $800 per acre,, 2 man crew ,, chip truck,, bandit 250 with a winch,,1.5 days to do the bigger trees,,,he did all the rest in one day...no stump removal... boss probable wacked them 7-8K

other than the stumps that the parking lot guys were going to rip out,,,, that place looked like a plowed farm field when that machine was done!!!

Back