Lanyard to set big shot trigger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Don't know if this is original or not. I have wimpy upper body strength. It's hard for me to pull the elastic on my big shot down far enough to get to higher tips. Here is an easy way to set the trigger that uses gear you probably already have on site.

Wrap an English Prussik at the bottom of your big shot, then connect your lanyard as shown in the photo (big shot pouch has two loops below it. I use the loop closest to the pouch to hook my biner to). Then it's easy to pull the elastic down using your lanyard pully and capture progress with your lanyard friction hitch. After you hook pouch to trigger loosen your lanyard and remove, then take your shot.

Attachments

• 20220930_174059.jpg
    20220930_174059.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Oh boy, do I have some improvements on that system for you. I posted a thread on that very topic back in 2009.

Read up on a much better method. It only takes a few bucks to make, but it comes with an enormous improvement in ease of use and accuracy.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/make-your-big-shot-better.114374/(Sadly, my pictures have been lost by ArboristSite over the years. I'll have to restore them, now)

A short description: https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...uild-it-are-appreciated-d.351916/post-7539835

Also, a tip for improved performance on a hard pull that releases poorly with an archery release:
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/just-got-the-hang-of-the-big-shot.210877/post-3882696

There is a quick release that sailors use.

Called a wingard or something like that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sai...7.6100j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#cobssid=s

What a hoot! I've got several of those in my garage, but never considered them for the Big Shot release. I bought them when my dog kept escaping from the conventional dog-lead snaps, hopping the fence, and roaming.

The dog catcher caught him, and restored my dog to my yard (and used that same release), then wrote me a ticket for the escaped dog. Yes! I beat it in court because the dog catcher remembered specifically the unusual snap on the end of my dog lead. When I pointed out that snap was what failed, that I got that special snap because he kept escaping otherwise, and that the dog catcher used the same snap I did... the judge dismissed the case of "did allow a dog to roam free..."

I don't recommend using that snap on the Big shot, however. When if flies open under a load, that swinging metal bar will have a lot of momentum. Should it hit your hand, it's gonna smart a lot.

I own and use both devices discussed in this thread; the archery release is far superior, but it does mean that you must use a reduced diameter of string to pull the BigShot. A properly sized snap shackle will use the draw-strap on the Big Shot quite effectively, but it makes you pull the release at a 90° angle from the shot. That could be problematic with aiming, too.

What a hoot! I've got several of those in my garage, but never considered them for the Big Shot release. I bought them when my dog kept escaping from the conventional dog-lead snaps, hopping the fence, and roaming. bar

The dog catcher caught him, and restored my dog to my yard (and used that same release), then wrote me a ticket for the escaped dog. Yes! I beat it in court because the dog catcher remembered specifically the unusual snap on the end of my dog lead. When I pointed out that snap was what failed, that I got that special snap because he kept escaping otherwise, and that the dog catcher used the same snap I did... the judge dismissed the case of "did allow a dog to roam free..."

I don't recommend using that snap on the Big shot, however. When if flies open under a load, that swinging metal bar will have a lot of momentum. Should it hit your hand, it's gonna smart a lot.

I own and use both devices discussed in this thread; the archery release is far superior, but it does mean that you must use a reduced diameter of string to pull the BigShot. A properly sized snap shackle will use the draw-strap on the Big Shot quite effectively, but it makes you pull the release at a 90° angle from the shot. That could be problematic with aiming, too.

Here's the one I've had for 20 years. The small line is pulled down to release. This keeps your hand well away from the swinging half of the eye. The large line is double girthed around the pole of the Big Shot. To put tension on the big shot rubber bands the pouch with the throw bag in it is pulled down with one hand while simultaneously pulling the double girthed large line down the pole wit at the same time with the other hand. The big shot base is on the ground. Takes some finesse. Markings on the pole as experience is gained allows for repeatability. I can't see it being used for a dog lease with any dependability.

https://www.riggingwarehouse.com/33...nap-shackle-with-swivel-eye-wll-1940-lbs.html

Here's a photo of mine:

Wichard 001.JPG

Wichard 003.JPG

That latch is considerably different than what I have, or what shows up quickly on your search.
This is what I was talking about, although on a somewhat smaller size:

1666649290935.png

It's quite secure, but opens at 90° to the pole on the BigShot.

Here's the one I've had for 20 years. The small line is pulled down to release. This keeps your hand well away from the swinging half of the eye. The large line is double girthed around the pole of the Big Shot. To put tension on the big shot rubber bands the pouch with the throw bag in it is pulled down with one hand while simultaneously pulling the double girthed large line down the pole wit at the same time with the other hand. The big shot base is on the ground. Takes some finesse. Markings on the pole as experience is gained allows for repeatability. I can't see it being used for a dog lease with any dependability.

https://www.riggingwarehouse.com/33...nap-shackle-with-swivel-eye-wll-1940-lbs.html

Here's a photo of mine:

You originally posted a link to a google search, not a website. I then posted a link to the first website I found that matched your latch.
Just sayin'.

It's in my above post. I did post a google search earlier.

I know nothing about the Rigging Warehouse.

Back