Large Stihl mount bars - hard to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I bought my used 076 from the local Stihl dealer they included a used 36" rollomatic ES 3/8 50 gauge bar that they claimed was used with that saw but when I went to bolt it on it didn't fit. The saw also had a .404 rim sprocket on it.

The adjuster hole and the oiler hole lined up but the sholder on the studs was too large to fit inside the bar groove. After looking at it for a while I decided to pull the bar studs out and machine the shoulders down so they would fit. The bar is now on there and it seems to work good with a new 3/8 rim sprocket. The only issue I had was when I order a chian I oreded a 114 drive link chain since that was the number stamped in the bar. It ended up being to short by 4 or 5 links and I had to take it somewhere and have them add a few links to it.

Has anyone else modified the bar studs to fit a different bar before?

Has anyone else modified the bar studs to fit a different bar before?

Personally, I'd rather modify the bar to fit the studs, not the other way around. My 084 came to me with filed down studs. I didn't notice it till I bought a new bar and saw how sloppy the fit was--I don't know why as the bar I had been using was a large-mount Stihl.

Chris B.

Personally, I'd rather modify the bar to fit the studs, not the other way around. My 084 came to me with filed down studs. I didn't notice it till I bought a new bar and saw how sloppy the fit was--I don't know why as the bar I had been using was a large-mount Stihl.

Chris B.

I made sure not to remove too much material from the stud so that the bar would not be sloppy, in fact it fits very well. I modified the studs because it was easier to control the tolerances by chucking them up in a drill and filing them perfectly round. If I had modified the bar I don't think it would have ended up as nice.

Back