"larger" saw for occasional "professional" use?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27831
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that 250 isn't the Pro version it is a pretty crappy saw. Seems like a huge difference in the pro version from the cheap one. I had one so I know what you mean, it's currrently sitting on a shelf with a broken clutch and flywheel. Picked up a Husky 450 to replace it and it is hands down a way better saw. Got a job coming up where I will be cutting down about 85 to 100 trees with it. Pine, mesquite, and some oak most of them about 25 feet tall. I'll let you know how it holds up.

If you can get a hold of a Dolmar I Hear that the 7900 is mean son of a B and has a decent price tag. Might want to chek it out.

there is no such thing as a 250 Pro. there is a 260 pro, or there was one until recently, but that saw has the exact same motor and power output.
how do you break a clutch and flywheel???
yes, the 7900 is the answer, but i'm not sure he would be open to a dolly.

As for using a skid steerer for brush clearing, some companies do that, with a rotary masticator. Some companies do that, but I think it causes too much damage to trees and leaves too much shredded debris all over that plants then have a hard time growing through, I only recommend it for totally trashed sites, like overgrown old-fields and pastures. Pulling things out of the ground is effective on honeysuckle, but causes so much soil disturbance that it probably does more harm than good. We treat all of our stumps with Garlon or glyphosate, if you don't they just sprout right back, that's what shrubs do.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't suggesting a mulching head but using the bucket to push and lift out the offending invasive leaving no debris behind just fluffed up dirt. I have used this method to clear several dozen acres with great success. Plus there is no introduction of a herbicide.

As for using a skid steerer for brush clearing, some companies do that, with a rotary masticator. Some companies do that, but I think it causes too much damage to trees and leaves too much shredded debris all over that plants then have a hard time growing through, I only recommend it for totally trashed sites, like overgrown old-fields and pastures. Pulling things out of the ground is effective on honeysuckle, but causes so much soil disturbance that it probably does more harm than good. We treat all of our stumps with Garlon or glyphosate, if you don't they just sprout right back, that's what shrubs do.

I wasn't suggesting a mulching head but using the bucket to push and lift out the offending invasive leaving no debris behind just fluffed up dirt. I have used this method to clear several dozen acres with great success. Plus there is no introduction of a herbicide.[/QUOTE]

:agree2:

No need for anything fancy. Just a skidsteer with a bucket. You can usually push most of the smaller trees right over. May need to cut one flush here and there. This is the best way to clear off land quickly and the land will look better than it does just cutting off brush. Smooth it out good and broadcast some grass seed over it and you have a field in no time. You end up with a big pile of brush to burn and if you know what you're doing you won't have it full of dirt and it will burn right down.
If you don't have access to a skidsteer then you just have to do it the old fashioned way! :)

Latest posts

Back