Largest Walunt slabs I've ever seen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
These are like those used by George Nakashima ... maybe the are (were) for him. I wonder what happened to the rest of the tree... Sheesh these are huge!
P.S. I found this first picture in the another thread on this site where people post absurd pictures...

View attachment 190041
attachment.php

Nakashima's peace table

View attachment 190042
attachment.php

Wow is right! It looks like the slabs are at least 6 inches thick.

I visited Nakashima Studio this year looking for inspiration. Nice place and nice folks. They have a huge inventory of logs cut into slabs and stacked in boule - 50 years worth by one employee's estimate, but nothing this big. I was glad to hear that even a pro can suffer from the "more wood than you can use in a lifetime" syndrome.

There was a business card there for Hearne Hardwoods in Southeast PA. They have a great website you should check out if you want to look at lots of interesting slabs (and the cutting equipment to handle them.)

#Tell me that was not milled with a chainsaw????????????

Why? Would it be out of the question if they were, or would it be more impressive if they had been milled with a portable bandsaw mill?

Be interesting to know whether or not photoshop was used......

Scott B

Those were milled with a double 090 modified alaskan setup. He had the bar made just for that tree. Definitly impressive. Those slabs have the world record for the widest walnut slab at 8.5' wide.

If this is the milliing set up...

I think I saw the milling set up being sold on Ebay a couple of years ago... went for less than $2000 if memory serves. Yes, twin 090's and a spare 090 with extra parts, a bunch of bars, and pile of chains plus the mill was one of 4 that Sperber made at that size. They said they used it for milling slabs for Nakashima. Quite the set up, but too far for me to travel to get a toy that I'd likely never have a use for. It was need to see, however.

Latest posts

Back