laser pointer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cconiam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
When doing an estimate does anyone use a laser pointer to "point out" limbs in a tree to customers ? If the answer is yes...where did you get yours?
Thanks
Cindy:help:

I keep saying I am going to order one, its one of those things you could definetly do without but would come in handy quite often.

I've had one for a few years now. It is very helpful in pointing out limbs or defects in the canopy or explaining where a cabling system will go. I got mine when sherrill first started selling them so I paid alot more then. They are fairly cheap now, you can get a real deal on ebay.

PM me

I sent out a link a while back in the commercial forum for green laser pointers for 15 bucks. I have one that I use to work (goof off), and they work great. The site sponsors sell one that is 5mW for power, mine is 10 and my brother has one that is 30. The more wattage, the brighter it is. You can see my entire beam indoors, looks like a light saber at night! These make a very obvious spot in the tree.

Funny, I was going to post the same thing the other day. I have two laser pointers and neither work that well. On the estimate I did on Thursday, the HO couldn't even see it. I was wondering if there is one made for this work. I just didn't google it yet. I think it is worth the money. Could probably turn a one hour estimate into a fifteen minute estimate.

most HOs can follow what your talking about with their trees. but some are cluless, thats where the green pointer comes in. their handy to have, but i always end up draining my batteries playing with the damn thing. last one i had i could hit the tops of huge power poles for about two miles.....

Thanks for the link andrewspens!

Have you purchased from them? I see they ship from HongKong...kinda makes one nervous.

Also...have you had problems with this statement?: "Important FDA Warning for all >5mW Lasers: FDA advices all customers that these lasers may be purchased only if you are NOT a citizen of the United States and you are NOT currently living in the United States."

Thanks for the link andrewspens!

Have you purchased from them? I see they ship from HongKong...kinda makes one nervous.

Also...have you had problems with this statement?: "Important FDA Warning for all >5mW Lasers: FDA advices all customers that these lasers may be purchased only if you are NOT a citizen of the United States and you are NOT currently living in the United States."

I am curious of this also.

The FDA regulates lasers in the US. The laser needs to be under 5mw (5 miliwatt) to meet their regulations. As long as you are not pointing it at traffic or planes I doubt you will ever have an offical knocking at your door. 5or 10mw is plenty of power but you might need to point it at the shadow side of the branch.
You can get a 100mw+ laser that will burn stuff (wicked lasers). Thankfully they do not pack enough punch to slice off limbs.

No issues so far

My brother ordered a 30mW, I ordered a 10mW. Shipping from Hong Kong is no big deal. Shipping was only something like a penny, unless you want the express. Regular shipping takes around two weeks. Seemed a little funny for a package from Hong Kong to arrive in Florida, then get sent to me in Washington. Their stuff needs a signature for delivery, so if you are not home, you get the little card to go to the post office. My only issue so far is that the switch occasionally won't work right. Just give it a whack and it works fine. Mine came with a nice case to keep it reasonably protected. Check which batteries they need before ordering. Some use the little lithiums that can get pricey, that's why mine uses regular AAA's.

Laser

It could be because I was exposed to laser light in a factory that I worked in.. BUT, if I use my green laser I get an instant headache. I don't have to have it in my eyes, just looking at the green dot does it. :(

I bought a combination 9 LED flashlight/laser pointer at the local hardware store for $10, save yourself the money and do the same. Don't get me wrong, I do order a lot of items from forestry catalogs, but this one works just fine.

I have one that takes 2 aaa batteries i fitted a .243 case on it so it works as a boresighter and pointer but mostly i shine it on the ground/walls/roof to amuse the cat lol

While they can be expensive, I use a laser from http://www.laserglow.com

Cost - -$700.00 - first day I used it, I sold a $12,000.00 job to a dense homeowner who finally understood what I was talking about with the aid of the laser.

This thing can highlight a tree a block away at high noon on a summer day here in Texas. It's great for pointing out bad tree work (visible in trees next door or down the block from most of my clients.)

The use of this laser vs. the smaller pen light green lasers has no comparison. Great sales tool. Also helps getting the crew to understand quickly what you want done without any questions.

The batteries last for months if you're careful.

The laser on the end of my HK USP 45 would probably work well! If they don't see the dot, shoot at it instead.

Latest posts

Back