Chainsaw Backpack Solution?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flymo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not sure where best to post this, but I'm hoping someone can help out. I do a lot of trail cleanup work that often requires fairly long hikes with a chainsaw. I have been using an old backpack with my Husqvarna T435 just stuffed into it, but there's really no room for gas and oil so once the oil tank is dry, I'm done. And I'd like to be able to carry a bigger saw when it's needed.

Does anyone have a better backpack solution? The True North rig looks really nice but it's also $300. Thanks for any pointers!

I made this quick and dirty saw carrier when I was doing trail maintenance. A wooden scabbard laced to an old Kelty pack frame. I used it with a Stihl 024 with 16" bar. The power head ends up around shoulder height. You could lower the center of gravity by inserting the saw from the bottom with a strap underneath. There's plenty of room to strap fuel/oil/tools on either side of the scabbard.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
Makita made one. It might be too big for your saw? It has lots of pockets for tools, spare parts and a spare bar. The pictures below show a military surplus version (the NSN is printed on the side) but I'm not sure whether the civilian version was any different. Also not sure if these are available in the US?

Screenshot_20230104-181421.pngScreenshot_20230104-181644_kindlephoto-1085870361.pngScreenshot_20230104-181717_kindlephoto-1085899054.pngScreenshot_20230104-181825_kindlephoto-1086009715.png

Thanks - some good ideas there. I had the same thought about a wooden scabbard - now I just need to find an old pack frame.

The Makita rig looks good, but from the pictures it's pretty compact and I'm not sure how well it would go with a long torso like mine.

I appreciate the help!

I made this quick and dirty saw carrier when I was doing trail maintenance. A wooden scabbard laced to an old Kelty pack frame. I used it with a Stihl 024 with 16" bar. The power head ends up around shoulder height. You could lower the center of gravity by inserting the saw from the bottom with a strap underneath. There's plenty of room to strap fuel/oil/tools on either side of the scabbard.
Great backpack frame! I still have a Kelty frame like that that I bought in 1969 and carried for years. Thanks for reminding me!

https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...c-ridge-switchback-frame-pack-brown/p/1630389
more affordable. and you can likely kit it out as needed,

however the pic is correct in that whatever you do you'll want the weight as close to center of your back as possible, so keep the powerhead, fuel and oil below your shoulder blades above kindeys if that makes sense.

I used to be a radio man in a light infantry unit, prc-77 and a Vinson + batteries water clothes food and what not... I felt like an ant (me 165lbs, total gear helmet weapon ammo water etc 70+lbs), no joke. They weighed it once in during a field problem, the nurse or whatever just shook her head. Used to ruck that crap all over the PNW Ft Lewis and in Panama which is about as unforgiving of a terrain as you can imagine.

I got my "manchu march" buckle in that setup, which is 25mi forced march in one day. I dont think my feet ever recovered.

We radio guys used to do the RTO flop, b/c it hurt my knees way too much to kneel on anything but soft terrain. we just kinda leaned back and let gravity take us to the ground. It would take 2 people to get me off my rear, or I had to turtle over. Anyone who ever carried it felt sympathy and generally said nothing about our lack of maintaining security, you could tell the a-holes with their 35lb ruck that never did.

I’ve got the Dakine Builder’s Pack. They reissue them periodically. It works fantastic for this task, with room for all my gear and fuel/oil etc.

I fit a 543xp, chaps, fuel, oil, first aid, spare parts, files, and a small ax. Oh, and water and snacks! This pack frees my hands to carry other gear or I will often throw my bike-handled brushcutter (Echo 410u) over my shoulder and hike in when doing habitat restoration/invasive species removal work.

Edit: the 29L version

You asked about a backpack but have you thought about something like the truenorth saw bar cover?
We use them at work a lot with our 462s when doing trail clearing; even with a 30-40lbs pack you can pretty comfortably haul a saw all-day.

Thanks all! I really like the looks of the True North rig, but it sure is pricey. The Dakine is on sale for about 1/2 that - I am going to give it a try and see how it fits.

On a related subject, what are the best containers to carry fuel mix and oil? I don't think I'd need more than a quart of each.

There are metal bottles that you can buy specifically for gas and oil.
Go to supplycache.com and look at the gear that is made for wild land fire fighters.
Once you know what to look for you can shop around for the best price. I own some of these fuel bottles but I don’t use them anymore. You can buy premix gas (all I use now) and buy it in quart cans, the you have spare cans to carry.
Supply Cache sells a black bag that has six compartments and that is what I carry in the woods with me - two cans of gas, one oil, one with a big drink, one for tools, one for extra wedges.

Go to supplycache.com and look at the gear that is made for wild land fire fighters.
Once you know what to look for you can shop around for the best price. I own some of these fuel bottles but I don’t use them anymore. You can buy premix gas (all I use now) and buy it in quart cans, the you have spare cans to carry.
Supply Cache sells a black bag that has six compartments and that is what I carry in the woods with me - two cans of gas, one oil, one with a big drink, one for tools, one for extra wedges.
Thanks for the link there oldbuzzard:)
Found the following
Saw Bag- Single Saw, The Pack Shack

THE PACK SHACK

https://www.supplycache.com/collections/saw-bar-covers/products/saw-bag-single-saw-the-pack-shack

the bag i think he is referring to is this one.
https://www.supplycache.com/products/6-pack-fuel-bottle-bag-the-pack-shack

I've also rigged up an old Kelty aluminum pack frame, with a small satchel strapped to it for fuel, oil, scrench, etc. I use old plastic water bottles for fuel. Some brands, like Aquafina, are heavier and incredibly durable. I've slammed full ones (with water) onto the floor without leaking a drop.

I've also rigged up an old Kelty aluminum pack frame, with a small satchel strapped to it for fuel, oil, scrench, etc. I use old plastic water bottles for fuel. Some brands, like Aquafina, are heavier and incredibly durable. I've slammed full ones (with water) onto the floor without leaking a drop.
Interesting about the water bottles for fuel will give it a try. I have not got out some old pack frames yet to try as well.

Thanks all! I really like the looks of the True North rig, but it sure is pricey. The Dakine is on sale for about 1/2 that - I am going to give it a try and see how it fits.

On a related subject, what are the best containers to carry fuel mix and oil? I don't think I'd need more than a quart of each.
@flymo Did you get the Dakine pack? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks - some good ideas there. I had the same thought about a wooden scabbard - now I just need to find an old pack frame.

The Makita rig looks good, but from the pictures it's pretty compact and I'm not sure how well it would go with a long torso like mine.

I appreciate the help!

If I was going to make a specialized backpack for toting my woodsman tools, I'd find a pack frame worthy of modifying, then I would build custom scabbards out of some heavy duty leather. Leather is a lot lighter than wood and would make a more practical scabbard. You wouldn't need to worry about splitting it, should it get dropped or slammed around a bit.

I suspect that a leather scabbard would just be preserved by some spilled oil, whereas a wood scabbard would look like a mess.

Back