Latest 50cc saws seem a lot stronger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo doesn't count! :msp_biggrin:

It is a shindaiwa saw in disguise just need 2 find some red paint and a new sticker. Mine spins up quick and pulls like a beast of course I'm comparing it to a 33cc saw so anything would seem incredible.

It is a shindaiwa saw in disguise just need 2 find some red paint and a new sticker. Mine spins up quick and pulls like a beast of course I'm comparing it to a 33cc saw so anything would seem incredible.
I know, and I'm sure it helps a little - but still not interested....:msp_rolleyes:

i have a husky 44 rancher with 20'' full chisel non skip that with the muffler modded and carb tuned runs like hell my dolmar 116 say 56cc and 6hp i havent but a new bar on it yet so have cut with it but the rancher will jus scream

Yeah ok, alright, whatever.

I got some stock 15 year old Poulans and Partners here in the 50cc class to run with the new super duper 50cc saws.

They will send them new fangled things home with there tails tucked between there legs as well. :laugh:

attachment.php

You bring up a very valid point Mark and as usual you are 100% correct.

I have a BUNCH of 50cc saws from the 5100 and 346 back through the 026PRO 5000+ Partner (x3), and the Poulan Pro 325 will spank them all (stock for stock) on an average day.
The Poulan 3000 and Poulan Pro 305 are about as quick as any of the "modern" stock saws until you put the watch to them in clean wood.
Once again, I'm gonna say "The skill of the sawyer will have more to do with the amount of wood on the truck at the end of the day than the speed of the saw".
There CERTAINLY isn't $300.00 to $400.00 worth of improvement in the new saws.

Mike

i have a husky 44 rancher with 20'' full chisel non skip that with the muffler modded and carb tuned runs like hell my dolmar 116 say 56cc and 6hp i havent but a new bar on it yet so have cut with it but the rancher will jus scream

Don't bet the farm on that 6 hp for the Dolmar!!!
It just isn't there.

Mike

Don't bet the farm on that 6 hp for the Dolmar!!!
It just isn't there.

Mike

Likely an ol' SAE rating, that is very far from comparable to the kind of hp in use by now.

Dolmar kept publishing SAE ratings long after most other brands quit using them.

Last edited:
To my way of thinking, horsepower = torque x rpm/5252 in anybody's language.
Is this controversial now? Are some people using different methods to determine hp now? And if so, are they calling it hp?

Last edited:
I was thinking this thread was 50cc saws.

So is it 50cc - 59cc saws since comparing 53cc 56cc to 50cc saws, well throw in the 57cc and 59cc then too. :msp_razz:

I wondered when someone would have to bring that up. Point taken but the other point is that 53cc saw is still on the original chassis.

It is still very close to 50cc but the 5000+ and JRed 490 are still in the hunt with the newer saws at the 50cc break as well as the Poulan 3000.

Mark is is the stock ones from the test.

12" hardwood 1 cut time at mini gtg. Thinking wood was cherry or hard maple. new 325 7 tested on 346 50cc wish I would have tried the 8T 325 on it too. IMO that saw is a 3/8 candidate. Same chain ran on all saws.

stock husky 346xp 50cc, 325 7T 10.0 10.4, 3/8 7T 5.63 5.62

stock dolmar 5105 with 5100 muffler, 3/8 7T 5.59 5.50

stock partner 5000 , 3/8 7T 5.47 5.84

stock 357xp, 3/8 7T 4.29 4.34

12" hardwood 1 cut time at mini gtg. Thinking wood was cherry or hard maple. new 325 7 tested on 346 50cc wish I would have tried the 8T 325 on it too. IMO that saw is a 3/8 candidate. Same chain ran on all saws.

I had no idea .325 would be so much slower than 3/8. I assumed .325 would be faster as it's a bit narrower kerf (isn't it?).

Is this to be expected or does it suggest the .325 chain wasn't so sharp?

:confused:

I had no idea .325 would be so much slower than 3/8. I assumed .325 would be faster as it's a bit narrower kerf (isn't it?).

Is this to be expected or does it suggest the .325 chain wasn't so sharp?

:confused:

If it had been new 325 RSC and 3/8 RSC I'm sure those times would have been closer.

Friend had a new loop of Windsor 325 non-safety full round chisel and I had new oregon full chisel 3/8 on hand. So that is what I used that day. I'm sure the 8T would have helped too. Both chains were new off the reel.

Last edited:

No offense Kevin, but I have done my own 50cc shoot out myself and again when Mike was up here one time.

It is hard to get a accurate time with a stop watch and it is only as good as the person running it. Those times that close mean nothing to me with out a better way of keeping times.

Be it as it maybe, it seems that in your test, the Partner 5000 you ran was right in the hunt with the new so called stonger super duper saws, and confirmed that my point is still vaild, that there are some 20yo 50cc class saws that will still run with the new ones today.

For what its worth, the 5500 pictured whipped everything stock down at Jeremys gtg including the 5100 and the 345NE saws. Many witness's there also.

Besides cutting 8x8 softwood cants are not really showing real world cutting power to me either. Lets take em and throw em in some big old knarly oak logs as well.

Last edited:
You bring up a very valid point Mark and as usual you are 100% correct.

I have a BUNCH of 50cc saws from the 5100 and 346 back through the 026PRO 5000+ Partner (x3), and the Poulan Pro 325 will spank them all (stock for stock) on an average day.
The Poulan 3000 and Poulan Pro 305 are about as quick as any of the "modern" stock saws until you put the watch to them in clean wood.
Once again, I'm gonna say "The skill of the sawyer will have more to do with the amount of wood on the truck at the end of the day than the speed of the saw".
There CERTAINLY isn't $300.00 to $400.00 worth of improvement in the new saws.

Mike

Well said, every time one of the big 2 come out with a new saw it's the best thing since sliced bread, after a couple of years it's just another 50cc saw. Proof is in the cutting times, .009 of a second one way or another doesn't matter. Steve

No one has answered Zippy's origional question . My guess is that the manufacturers of the PRO saws (346, 261) have just tweaked the little engines with better breathing/and timeing and overall engine design . Thus , extracting more raw hp and torque , while maintaining reliability .

Thank you, back on topic.

Last edited by SawTroll; Today at 05:16 AM. Reason: Misprint, as usual. I miss the spell check.....

Niko, which browser are you using ?

With some (Firefox definitely) you can add a dictionary as an extension which works as a spell check as you type.

I even use an Australian one so I don't sound 'merican :D

Besides cutting 8x8 softwood cants are not really showing real world cutting power to me either. Lets take em and throw em in some big old knarly oak logs as well.

Test posted above was run in 12" round hardwood. Using same chain. 16" bars being that is my fav on 50cc saws.

I dont cut cants anymore for racechain testing to keep from tearing chains up back in the day. I got out of that stuff in 2010 . The test showed others how well the old 28 year old 5000 was on par with the new stuff. :msp_tongue: :msp_wink:

I would hope the 5500 53cc took names. My poor old poulan 325 53cc did the same thing (same saw). It wouldnt even be fair to run it in the 50cc saw testing, so I didnt. Wished I would have now since I ran a stock 357xp 56.5cc to compare the others to. :msp_tongue:

Last edited:
Test posted above was run in 12" round hardwood. Using same chain. 16" bars being that is my fav on 50cc saws.

I dont cut cants anymore for racechain testing to keep from tearing chains up back in the day. I got out of that stuff in 2010 . The test showed others how well the old 28 year old 5000 was on par with the new stuff. :msp_tongue: :msp_wink:

I would hope the 5500 53cc took names. My poor old poulan 325 53cc did the same thing (same saw). It wouldnt even be fair to run it in the 50cc saw testing, so I didnt. Wished I would have now since I ran a stock 357xp 56.5cc to compare the others to. :msp_tongue:

Kevin were on the same page but in your earlier post you said you run them in Cherry and Hard Maple, now you say you ran them in 12" hardwood.

I guess its just a difference of preceptions but I consider Cherry marginal at being a hardwood and have never, ever seen a Maple tree around here that I would consider hard.

My whole point was that the newer super saws dont seem all that super strong compared to some of the older saws to me.

Technically they are hardwoods though Mark. (bear with me on this)

FWIW the general rule is that hardwoods are flowering trees, softwoods are cone bearing so even timber like balsa is a 'hardwood' as is poplar/cottonwood. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back