Latest 50cc saws seem a lot stronger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedneckChainsawRepair
I said

12" hardwood 1 cut time at mini gtg. Thinking wood was cherry or hard maple.

2 of us thought it was hard maple. Just added cherry because I was unsure. It was hardwood to cut and going by Janka Hard Maple ranks up there.

Differences in Hard and Soft Maples. http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/#hardness

Janka Wood Hardness Scale soft to hard

California Redwood 420
Douglas Fir 660
Southern Yellow Pine (loblolly & short leaf) 690
Honduran Mahogany 800
African Mahogany 830
South American Lacewood 840
Southern Yellow Pine (longleaf) 870
Black Cherry 950
American Black Walnut
American Black Walnut Hardwood Flooring 1010
Peruvian Walnut 1080
Brazilian Eucalyptus 1125
Teak 1155
Bamboo (carbonized) 1180
Larch 1200
Heart Pine 1225
Caribbean Heart pine 1240
Yellow Birch 1260
Red Oak (Northern) 1290
American Beech 1300
Ash 1320
White Oak 1360
Australian Cypress 1375
Bamboo (natural) 1380
Royal Mahogany 1400
Hard maple 1450
African Walnut/Sappelle 1500
Brazlian Maple 1500
Zebrawood 1575
Wenge 1630
Brazilian Oak 1650
Bamboo 1650
Patens 1691
Peruvian Maple 1700
Kempas 1710
African Pedauk (Padeuk/African Cherry) 1725
Bolivian Rosewood /Morado 1780
Hickory/Pecan 1820
Kempas 1854
Purpleheart 1860
Jarrah 1910
Amendoim 1912
Merbau 1925
African Rosewood (Bubinga) 1980
Grapia 2053
Jarrah 2082
Purple Heart 2090
Tigerwood 2160
Burma Mahogany 2170
Amberwood 2200
Cabreuva (Santos Mahogany) 2200
Caribbean Rosewood 2300
Mesquite 2345
Brazilian Cherry (Jatoba) 2350
Peruvian Cherry 2350
Red Walnut 2450
African Cedar / Bosse 2600
Patagonian Rosewood 2800
Bloodwood 2900
Brazilian Rosewood (Tamarindo) 3000
Brazilian Redwood 3190
Tiete Rosewood 3280
Cumaru (Brazilian Teak) 3540
Southern Chestnut, Tiete Chestnut 3540
Lapacho (usually grouped with IPE Wood)
Ipe Lumber 3640
Bolivian Cherry 3650
African Pearwood/Moabi 3680
Brazilian Walnut / Ipe
Ipe Decking 3680
Brazilian Ebony 3692
Patagonian Rosewood 3840
Brazilian Tiger Mahogany 3840
Curupy 3880

Last edited:
hamish

hamish

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The EPA is probably to blame for quicker upgrades. We'd eventually get to the technology but why change something that works so well? Because you have to. Cat mufflers only helped pass emissions, nothing for performance. Strato on the other hand, along with computer controls - those are big steps.

Trivia question...........where is the EPA a recognized body/organization etc.....
a. the USA
b. the USA
c. the USA
d. nowhere in the world but the USA
e. all of the above

Correct answer..........mmm Poland??

EPA is not global, it is solely a US induced headache, shared soley by Canada, as we share the same continent.

With respect to the quicker upgrades........how long was the OE 346 in production for??? Near 10 years before the NE.

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't know the answer to this question, but what % does north american sales have of the total worldwide sales of saws?

naturelover

naturelover

Tree Freak
Hmm, one possibility of the limiters may not be the EPA, but the company's idea to keep people from messing with them..

Stories around here were told of some loggers adjusting them a little too lean to make them supposedly cut faster, then turning them in for warranty work when they were toasted. I would think that would put the dealers in a bad spot too, as they probably wouldn't want to tell someone who bought thousands of dollars worth of parts and saws off them that they couldn't fix their saw under warranty.

In that regard and in many others, I think the The M-Tronic and Autotune versions are the way of the future.

The M-Tronic system is advertised as being one of the green items on Stihl's website. It is a great running saw, no worries of adjustment or anything, and yet it seems its never starving for fuel or anything.

With the M-Tronic, its the best of both worlds. Less emissions, less fuel usage, easy to start, and is always in tune with even more power than a standard 441. Really, I don't see why Stihl is even messing with fuel injection, whats wrong with the M-Tronic system? Maybe there is even more to be had with the fuel injection system?

As for the EPA, while far from perfect, I think its good to put pressure on companies to make things more efficient and cleaner, cause they surely won't do it on their own. That being said, I would think chainsaws would be the least their worries. I would think they would focus more on things that produce a little more emissions than what a chainsaw would produce, but guess every little bit helps.

Who knows, maybe its even a positive as maybe it drives companies to be more innovative, as is with the new generations of auto tune and fuel injection systems...

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
As for the EPA, while far from perfect, I think its good to put pressure on companies to make things more efficient and cleaner, cause they surely won't do it on their own. That being said, I would think chainsaws would be the least their worries. I would think they would focus more on things that produce a little more emissions than what a chainsaw would produce, but guess every little bit helps.

Who knows, maybe its even a positive as maybe it drives companies to be more innovative, as is with the new generations of auto tune and fuel injection systems...

That is just not true!
The companies will provide whatever sells product!
Just like the horsepower wars of the 60's in the auto industry, if economy and lower emissions are what the people are showing (with their wallets) they want, that's what the companies will deliver.
It is however up to us to let the companies know what we demand and not settle for anything less.

Mike

mountainlake

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hmm, one possibility of the limiters may not be the EPA, but the company's idea to keep people from messing with them..

That is not a possibility, too many saws come set so lean they burn up and the limiters are turned out against the tabs with no possibility of turning them out unless they are removed. Do you think manufactoring a whole new saw to replace a EPA set too lean saw doesn't cause a pile of polution, most likely way more than if the saw was set rich enough not to burn up in the first place. Not much common sence left anymore. Steve

Stihlman441

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
In that regard and in many others, I think the The M-Tronic and Autotune versions are the way of the future.

The M-Tronic system is advertised as being one of the green items on Stihl's website. It is a great running saw, no worries of adjustment or anything, and yet it seems its never starving for fuel or anything.

With the M-Tronic, its the best of both worlds. Less emissions, less fuel usage, easy to start, and is always in tune with even more power than a standard 441. Really, I don't see why Stihl is even messing with fuel injection, whats wrong with the M-Tronic system? Maybe there is even more to be had with the fuel injection system?

I agree,there is nothing wrong with the MTronic system,port them do a muff modd and they adjust them selves and are never lacking in fuel.:D

Latest posts