Latest Shindaiwa saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try edge & engine, one of the site sponsors. On line parts diagram with the current part numbers are listed there in their online store. They've been a top notch supplier for me.

I will check them out. Nice collection of saws you have. This is my first Shindaiwa. But if it is like other Japanese product, I bet it will run good.

All of the Shindaiwas we've had through our shop were great machines. In fact, any of the Japanese OPE I've worked on was good, save for Tanaka which is a brand
I have zero experience with.

Try edge & engine, one of the site sponsors. On line parts diagram with the current part numbers are listed there in their online store. They've been a top notch supplier for me.

Thanks for the edge & engine info. My parts are on the way. I was a little worried since two other suppliers said the parts are not available.

I had a 575 and still have two 350s and they are great saws. It is to bad their dealer network never really developed to support the product because they are well built dependable saws. I bought a pro model Shindaiwa weed trimmer at a sale for $8.00 that everyone passed on becuase they thought it was an "off breed", I took it home and adjusted the throttle cable and it starts and runs as good as my high dollar Stihl. Let's keep them our little secret so we can continue to buy them cheap.

Steve

I have a Solo 633 top handle and a 662 with 18 in bar. Both good, powerful saws. Both cheap from ebay probably because of lack of dealer support. These are great saws, not sure why I do not see more of them. I do not mind the " off brand" saws as long as I can find parts.

My 577 is on line. Four hours work, new cylinder and rings. Piston a little scarred, but solid. Cleaned it all up. Started on 6 pulls. Sounds great. Can't wait till the weekend to make chips.

We call them chihuahuas

When we started selling Shindiawa we called them chihuahuas as a joke and it stuck for 20 ish years, also no guessing from the customers about how to say it. I've got two 360's, a 377 (awesome saw, little package), and a 577 with the pro filter add-on kit. Love them all. Used the 360's and 377's as tree saws for years. The first 360 and my 577 are the only saws I own that I actually bought new. My dad has the 488, its awesome as well. My dealership was very bummed out at the yamabiko decision to drop the saws. We bought up every 490 we could get our hands on when we heard that. As far as obsolete parts go, there aren't many that i've found. I still regularly service 350's, 415's, 500's, and all the vertical cylinder stuff. Last week I had a 575 that was old enough to have a metal tank.

I have a 360, nice little saw. It's kind of the go-to saw for little stuff, limbing, cleaning up fallen branches after wind storms.

On my list of things to beware of, behind the little guard plate where the single bar-stud emerges, there's a small crack in the case. It looks like the PO overtightened the bar nut, or just torqued it super hard when cutting. I found it because I had trouble setting the chain tension, and the crack runs from the stud to the slot for the tensioner. The split caused part of the case to push out into the tensioner slot so I couldn't get past the crack. I used a dremel to reshape the slot back to where it should be, and now I can set the tension without issue.

I looked at the IPL really closely, and can see the stud inserts through the oil reservoir, and has a head like a bolt. I'm not super worried it's going to pull through the case, but I don't torque the bar very hard because of this, and I do check it every time I have the cover off for cleaning. This is probably not a normal problem, but something to check.

I think the PO must have been pushing it because the chain, with sharp cutters, wouldn't cut at all due to the rakers being too high. First time I've ever seen a sharp chain that wouldn't make even one chip fly.

The 377 and 577 make a two saw plan. Very robust, well built saws.

PB100774.jpg

Al.

New 577

I think my 577 came home with me before 2001. I paid $440 for it right out of the box. Of course that was dealer cost back then.

My 500 has surprised me.

It isn't cookie-cutter fast, but it seems to have good torque! I noodled some rock-hard locust, and even though I have it rich, it does a great job! Dogged it into the wood and it just kept chewing with an 18" bar (though I wasn't all that hard on it, just getting some heat cycles through it for now).

I kinda feel like I ought to keep the 18" on it, like I'm insulting it or something with a 16" bar, but will go ahead and change it out to one I think, it should go through anything with ease with that on there. Will have the 18" bar still if I would ever need to put it back on there.

Can really tell the difference in the anti-vibe though, the rubber mounted isn't as nice as the spring mounted 441.

But these 500s are great saws!!!! :clap:

I have this 488 that I replaced the piston & rings because someone (not me) straight gassed it and then did not want it any more. It has seen very little use and is quite clean with an 18" bar and .325 chain. It's completely stock, no mods.
View attachment 234602
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back