Lawnmower issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecool85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know it's not a chainsaw thing, but you guys are real good with small engines and I figured I'd get the most views here.

l got a Husqvarna push mower for free from a friend. It has a Briggs series 650 engine on it with electric start. The issue is it won't reach operated rpms. The governor supplies WOT but it stutters some and sounds like it might be at 2000-2400 or so RPM. I replaced the air filter (dirty) and spark plug (black) and put in fresh gas...didn't really change anything. BUT, if you pull the air filter out and run it without one, it seems to run perfect.

Ideas? Maybe just a dirty carb? The mower is only 1 or 2 years old.

Rereading it, if it is stuttering from richness, and without a filter, runs good,
well,they other way around.....

We need more info....wellmaybe.......................

Fish, Is that the briggs engine with the intake runner that works loose or the carb that pressure fits on a o ring. Either way sounds like an air leak. Check your Carb on the intake side if cleaning doesn't do the trick.

You beat me again to answerring the question Pushmowerr Electric start ? must be a huge engine like a 8 hp ?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200383663_200383663

Not quite it, but looks the same. Like I said in the original post, it is a 650 series. Not a huge engine, I'd guess 5-6 hp. It has a battery powered starter with a plastic wheel that engages the flywheel. Not something I'd have paid money for, but free is nice.

How could it be an air leak, it won't run with a filter on (and, again like I said in the original post, I replaced it to no avail), but does run well without any filter at all. Sounds to me like it is running rich for some reason. Normally dirty carbs make stuff run lean right?

Clean the carb. Pay particular attention to the bowl nut. It has several orifices, some you can barely see, that need to be cleaned. Some use twist tie wire to poke out varnish, then use carb spray cleaner.
Just did about my 50th yesterday.

The morning is here and the beer fog is breaking up......

Please find the model,type and code numbers so we know what you have.

Some of these newer carbs have a jet that is lightly pressed in, and if you
blow the carb out with compressed air, that jet is blown into the next county
without the blower/blowee??? realizing it,and that may be why the mower was free, as the previous guy never could get it to run correctly.

So provide the model/type numbers, and we can look at the blowup of the carb.

The morning is here and the beer fog is breaking up......

Please find the model,type and code numbers so we know what you have.

Some of these newer carbs have a jet that is lightly pressed in, and if you
blow the carb out with compressed air, that jet is blown into the next county
without the blower/blowee??? realizing it,and that may be why the mower was free, as the previous guy never could get it to run correctly.

So provide the model/type numbers, and we can look at the blowup of the carb.

Wow! You just used the word or derivative of "blow" 5 times in that post. Im getting excited.:clap: Oh ya Ive actually done that before too. There are little orings that hold the main jet in and its easy to disrupt it.

i think as well...crap in ur carb...........
u can only adjust your air fuel mixture screw if applicable just so many times.......................like he said

now wait a minute,,,,,common sense should tell you that if you crap in the carb it will clog up more :popcorn::dizzy:

Ok, here are the numbers.

It is a Husqvarna 65022ES mower. The engine is a 650 series briggs, 190cc 6.50 ft/lb output.

On the rear tag of the mower it says it is a model 961430023 02.

Briggs carburetors

I have a 6.5 B & S Intek on a Troy-Built tiller.
The carb has been problem since I bought it.
The float bowl nut is the main jet, it has passages in it that can
be cleared with a toothpick. The carb does not have adjustable jets,
have to use choke lever position to get it to run.

What's the spark plug look like? That'll tell you if it's rich or lean. If it's rich it should be black on the end. If it's too rich either your choke is stuck on or the adjustment on the carb is wrong. I guess you have the right air cleaner for that engine.

It sounds like water in the fuel bowl. A quick trick I use to determine this without pulling the bowl is to rev her up as fast as it will run and quikly pop your hand over the carb. If there are a few drops of water plugging the main jet it will often pull them through. If it improves, there is water in there and the bowl needs to be pulled, cleaned and some air blown up through the main jet. If it runs worse there is usually alot of water in the bowl and the same fix applies. If you wind up pulling the bowl try to catch whatever comes out. Be carefull when lowering the bowl that the needle assembly does not fall out as they sometimes do. The tank should be drained and dried prior to prevent more contaminated fuel from going into the carb. Otherwise you'll be back at square one.

Ok, no idea whats going on here. I pulled the gas tank, emptied and cleaned it. Pulled the carb, tore it down and cleaned it too (blew out all passages, then sprayed with carb cleaner, all checked out mint). It runs the same. I did notice that if you cover the little hole on the primer bulb, the engine runs almost perfect. BUT the primer bulb is suppose to have the little hole in it...so something is up here.

Any ideas?

Back