leaner, what did I do wrong??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have some Pines that got topped 2 decembers ago in an ice storm. I will not let them waste so I will process them as fire wood. Anyways....

This is what happened and you can tell me where I went wrong.

Saying that the tree is in the 12 O'clock position.

There are some power lines in the 2 O'clock position of the tree and the tree leans that way, toward the lines.
So I notched the tree in the 10 o"clock position to try to compensate for the lean and maybe it would fall at 12 O'clock.

NOPE it fell at 2 O'clock and hit the lines, no damage and power outtage but it was scary and I thought it was gonna get real expensive!!

How would i do it different to avoid that next time? should I notch different? Use wedges? how would I cut and position wedges? I have 2 more trees right near it that need to fall, they are way more straight but those lines and my house are now in play!

I will take any advice!! thanks!!!

Did you leave more holding wood on the other side of the lean? Like a pie, with only a little on the lean side.

If suitable put a rope on the tree at least 1/2 way up, tie it off with tension to your practical site of fall, it will give you some more control as you hone your felling skills.
Estimating a trees line of fall, your method of cut for final rest is 1 part skill and 9 parts practice. You were very lucky with last power lines vs trees make empty pockets or much worst.

I saw the post on tapered hinge, get the concept but wish there was more on where the tree was NOT to go so I could see a broader picture

If suitable put a rope on the tree at least 1/2 way up, tie it off with tension to your practical site of fall, it will give you some more control as you hone your felling skills.
Estimating a trees line of fall, your method of cut for final rest is 1 part skill and 9 parts practice. You were very lucky with last power lines vs trees make empty pockets or much worst.

Don't know how I could have put a rope up high enough to control fall.

Maybe look around in the logging forum, ask there, some guys there have a great wealth of knowledge. Arborists are not fallers, I am not a faller, but I can fall better than most arborists, way better. But I am only worthy of packing gas for an experienced west coast faller. Truth.

did you atleast try to wedge it? how about a soft dutchman,,, never mind. when lines are involved never cut without tying the tree off for pulling. people get killed the way you cut that tree. next time call a pro when in doubt and get there advice. i'm just glad you didnt get hurt.

Don't know how I could have put a rope up high enough to control fall.

Well that's the thing. They say "LEAVE IT" about a zillion times in a felling book I have (if you can't do something for sure).

Take your time - take a week - take a month, take however long you need to get that rope up there. Rent a bucket truck. Find someone with a bucket truck. Whatever.

Get a ladder.

And then there is the old trick they use in the Navy. Use a tennis ball with string tied through a couple of holes in the ball. Then you can throw the tennis ball quite high or quite far and the string follows. Then use the string to pull a rope.

Then tie that rope around it. Tie 3 ropes around it. Whatever.

Use a come along. Or use a winch on the front of a pick-up to pull the line, etc.

Also if you know how or have a bucket truck, you can cut limbs on one side of the tree. Then this redistributes the weight to the other side of the tree so it wants to fall that way.

Basically make *sure* it will go where you want.

If you are not 100% sure it will fall where you want, then don't cut it.

Hire a pro to take the top out so you can learn without worry of damage. Once top was sufficiently low as him to show you how he would have fell it once a pull rope had been placed. Throw line is simple to make buy the cheapest rubber mallet you can find,cut hande off with a hacksaw and screw an eye into it then tie a 1/4 inch line approx 150 foot. Grab the string with left hand above your head and mallet just above the ground and take right hand and swing it back and forth to get the feel and on final pass launch that puppy to the top of the tree. Then tie a suitable rope to the throwline with a square knot and pull it to the top and back to the ground. Then use running bowline or simply tie it to the stem above cut area if your rope is long enough and you went thorough a good crotch.

Last edited:
I'm not a pro but when i cut a leaner especially around other structures, It always gets a winch cable put on it and the truck chained to something to keep it from moving. Then notch it and when you saw it always leave more holding wood on the side you don't want it to go. I f the tree is big enough i always will use a wedge. Even a tree 12 inches across would get a small wedge put in. Had good luck so far doing this(knock on wood). I'm sure there is a better way though and i may get told how stupid the advice i just typed is.lol But it's worked for me.

The tree was topped in a storm, all the branch whirls went with the top. Not a single branch left, just the stem, like a telephone pole. It leaned because half way up the tree, it started to grow crooked and more toward that side. How would I get a rope around something like that? The other trees that have to go are the same exact way. Thanks

Well that's the thing. They say "LEAVE IT" about a zillion times in a felling book I have (if you can't do something for sure).

Which felling book is that? I would love to read it for knowledge.

I ordered "to fell a tree" after my little mistake, plus I don't read enough books!

The tree was topped in a storm, all the branch whirls went with the top. Not a single branch left, just the stem, like a telephone pole. It leaned because half way up the tree, it started to grow crooked and more toward that side. How would I get a rope around something like that? The other trees that have to go are the same exact way. Thanks
This may be crazy advice too, but i just put an extension ladder on the tree and take the cable up and tie it around. I have some pics of a leaner i done that way somewhere here.

This may be crazy advice too, but i just put an extension ladder on the tree and take the cable up and tie it around. I have some pics of a leaner i done that way somewhere here.

I don't have a ladder that tall, I made a mistake, and I know it. Thats why I am seeking advice, tieing it off is most basic idea and I should have done it.
I was just wondering if a notching or wedging tactic would have worked for a back yard logger like me!

Back