leaner, what did I do wrong??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky Mike - You probably don't want to hear my 2 cents, but here it is... If you have to go online & ask how to do this dangerous job, you shouldn't be doing it. Do you know the voltage in the wire you hit? Primary or secondary? You already hit the wire once, and got away with it. That should have been a good warning. Do we get to read in the paper about the guy that got electrocuted in front of his family trying to save hiring a pro? Do you know if you tear the wire down, the power co. can charge you for every man & truck it takes to put it back up? Rip a bushing out of a transformer and cause an oil spill, you'll pay for that too. You need a lot of o.j.t. or practice out in the woods before you even think about controling a tree with just a notch. Even the pros here don't do that [rope, winch, etc] with a danger tree, what makes you think you can?

I am not a logger. I fell a lot of dead trees and snags though. A snag that is 2 years old does not have enough good wood left in it for me to comfortably try to steer it with the hinge . A snag does not act like a full tree . I usually have very little hinge left by the time the tree begins to come over to even try to steer it . I know the rule of thumb is to place the rope high but I can get away with about 10 feet if I am not trying to pull against to much lean. I also use wedges but on dead wood these are not guaranteed to work .I put a lot of wood down and am pretty good at it but I will always stack the deck in my favor rather than damage property or die so I use a rope and wedges if there is even a slim chance of hitting something.​

Side-leaners

That could be why, didn't help. There was a thread here called tapered hinge, it was by Murphy, look for it.

Yes, some times the taperend hinge alone, or with simple wedging, is enough.

Also, for more severe leaners, a tapered hinge + cutting the "weak" side first and wedging it, usually works for me - but it has its limitations, and is not "fool proof".......:)

The OP also should note that the notch always should point where he want the tree to fall.

Practicing it in the woods before using it around valuable "targets" is a good idea! :)

Last edited:
Yes, some times the taperend hinge alone, or with simple wedging, is enough.

Also, for more severe leaners, a tapered hinge + cutting the "weak" side first and wedging it, usually works for me - but it has its limitations, and is not "fool proof".......:)

The OP also should note that the notch always should point where he want the tree to fall]

Practicing it in the woods before using it around valuable "targets" is a good idea! :)

=====

I wondered if anybody was going to point that out...:clap:

Mike Van, that is the first time I hit those wires or anything for that matter, I have dropped dozens of trees in tight spots. This one just beat me this time.

Mike Van, that is the first time I hit those wires or anything for that matter, I have dropped dozens of trees in tight spots. This one just beat me this time.

Next time just throw a pull rope in it put on some dark shades and plug in this

It is my tree falling tunes lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i18nSZBgOfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i18nSZBgOfs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

being confident that you can drop leaners after having dropped dozens of trees is like being confident that you could be a #### star just after getting your fingers wet...

leaners

Being the top was alredy out maybe could of spiked up put a rope in it. Also back that up with some wedges, and yes leave more hinge wood on the opposite of the lean. there are other rope options like pulling the rope back at 7 or8oclock not as a pull rope but guide rope and stop it if it did start goin the wrong way.

I am amazed at some of the posts on this thread. I am constantly blown away by the lack of knowledge and common sense from people who call themselves professionals.

Obviously all those yellow stars mean absolutely nothing when it comes to knowledge or experience, but they sure look pertee!!

:popcorn:

Husky Mike - You probably don't want to hear my 2 cents, but here it is... If you have to go online & ask how to do this dangerous job, you shouldn't be doing it. Do you know the voltage in the wire you hit? Primary or secondary? You already hit the wire once, and got away with it. That should have been a good warning. Do we get to read in the paper about the guy that got electrocuted in front of his family trying to save hiring a pro? Do you know if you tear the wire down, the power co. can charge you for every man & truck it takes to put it back up? Rip a bushing out of a transformer and cause an oil spill, you'll pay for that too. You need a lot of o.j.t. or practice out in the woods before you even think about controling a tree with just a notch. Even the pros here don't do that [rope, winch, etc] with a danger tree, what makes you think you can?

:agree2:

im sure he already feels bad for what happen. dont need make him feel like crap. even mistakes happen to the best of us. that what the site is here for. to help fellow arborist. and i know we're not all arborist but askin questions is a good start

im sure he already feels bad for what happen. dont need make him feel like crap. even mistakes happen to the best of us. that what the site is here for. to help fellow arborist. and i know we're not all arborist but askin questions is a good start

I agree with Mike Van. I'm glad the OP is asking questions but he should have asked before he fell the tree. It's obvious that he doesn't have much experience at directional falling and he's lucky he didn't get himself into trouble.

If we made him feel like crap...well, that's just the way it goes. I'd rather see him pissed off than packed out. If he wants to learn a little about falling AS is a good place to be. But if he's just going to go off on his own, do dumb stuff, and then ask us what went wrong....there's not much we can do to help him.

I am amazed at some of the posts on this thread. I am constantly blown away by the lack of knowledge and common sense from people who call themselves professionals.

Obviously all those yellow stars mean absolutely nothing when it comes to knowledge or experience, but they sure look pertee!!

:popcorn:

Ehhhhh you Ca-nooks can't tell when your hearing satire lmfao:cheers:

Latest posts

Back