Leaning tree tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widmere

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there a preferred method of cutting through the but of a tree that has partially blown over so the top is leaning on a neighbouring tree. There are no buildings nearby so I was going to under cut the but then tie a chain round the trunk and pull it out with a tractor.

Appreciate your help

Thanks

Thanks Pu Climber - I would very much appreciate a quote for coming over to Buckinghamshire England and showing me the hell how to do it. The advice of putting a notch in the back of the trunk seems like great advice. When I've cut the but off I'll select which one of three tractors I'll use to drag it out of my woodland back to my farm house which featured in the Doomsday book.

Widmere

Well I would hire someone who knows what the hell they're doing if it's large diameter since you sound like a homeowner trying to save money.
Sage advice, this. This is a recipe for an emergency room visit or worse. Even the pros can be at risk in this scenario. Quite often tree that tree it is stuck in will have to be climbed to detach and make site safe.

sound's like dude is a farmer

i grew up on a farm, in fact still live and work on my father's farm

it's the agricultural way, knackered tree, nothing to damage, big tractor, big chain, big pull, big mess, big fun, job done

nothing wrong with that:cheers:

sound's like dude is a farmer

i grew up on a farm, in fact still live and work on my father's farm

it's the agricultural way, knackered tree, nothing to damage, big tractor, big chain, big pull, big mess, big fun, job done

nothing wrong with that:cheers:
Worse case scenerio. 3 ft dia tree , bottom cuts it caves sideways and pins him. Or tree won t yank , too heavy for tractor. Bottomcuts again and again then it s straight up and releases and falls on Mr. Widmere. No fun again. I hear you but his pride prob wouldn t let him ask such a basic question if he knew what he was doing and felt comfortable w it.

i wouldnt

are you aware of the massive amounts of kinetic energy in trees that have fallen over. if the tree is slightly bowed it could have alot of potential energy being released when it is finally cut.
i would hire a pro to do that. it may be better than damaging your tractor or yourself.

Ok, that was a little harsh and rude. I apologize. I had a bad day. But the guy asked for advice on taking a tree down, he didn't ask whether he should attempt it or not.

Find someone in your area who has their NPTC CS32 ticket, they will know what to do! If you have never done this before, best to get someone who has, too many things can go badly wrong.
This should be dealt with first as a leaning tree...face cut, bore cut, then release from the back.
It will get hung up, so then you take it out like a hung up, sever the hinge, leaving 25% on the side it might roll towards to act as a pivot. If the weight is right it will roll out on its own, if not, then either winch it out or roll it out using a turning strap to get it on the ground.
BE CAREFUL cutting the hinge, Stay OUT of the 'triangle of death' if you winch using a redirect, and STAY CLEAR of the butt, give yourself plenty of room, always be thinking, 'what will happen if this goes wrong?'

Is there a preferred method of cutting through the but of a tree that has partially blown over so the top is leaning on a neighbouring tree. There are no buildings nearby so I was going to under cut the but then tie a chain round the trunk and pull it out with a tractor.

Appreciate your help
pics? or diagrams?

If it's recently windthrown and leaning pretty far, you need some professional help, the internal stresses could be massive and figuring them out is iffy. When it fell into the other tree it probably tried to rotate. If it's still on the stump, it's almost certainly stressed and if you just undercut with a top notch it's possible for the butt to twist or whip into you... it would be like getting hit by a car.

If it's not recent, a couple of years or so old, the stresses will be mostly relieved and you can top notch/undercut... but that probably won't free it from the tree it's hung up in unless it's just barely hung... which means it may be necessary to climb and cut it out from above... that's definitely work for a professional arborist. Weird things can... will happen, like the hung tree rotating as it's being cut out; pieces can break before they're back cut and whack the climber.

You could double hinge it, but if it's really stressed, that could get unpredictable. I've never used the Texas B_tch cut but it seems a good way to deal with a lean that's close to vertical

Without being there it's impossible to tell you what to do. The most important thing in dealing with windthrow is predicting the stresses and relieving them SLOWLY, staying in control. Sometimes you have to just shave off a wee bit at a time and watch how the tree reacts. Unrelieved stresses are serious business.

Reminds me of the time I cut a bent-over ash tree. Smashed ribs, ruptured spleen, 11 days in intensive care, boatloads of fun you betcha!:jawdrop: :buttkick:
I'm surprised none your wiseazz buddies chirped in with "see, you should have hired a professional.":hmm3grin2orange:

I'm surprised none your wiseazz buddies chirped in with "see, you should have hired a professional.":hmm3grin2orange:

I'm still trying to think of something wiseazz to say about 'bent over', 'getting your ash kicked' and stuff like that... I'm moving a little slow today though.

Crikey - thanks for all the replies - this really is a wondeful site - On reflection I think I will leave the chainsaw in the tractor and put a wire rope as high as I can on the trunk and pull the whole tree sideways. The lean is 45 degrees and the root ball is well exposed. Thanks once again for all your words of wisdom. If this method doesn't work I'll get a pro in.

Could get back with a big pop.

The potential for the tree having extreme tension and compression is almost a gaurentee. A professional would know how to handle it; I'm not going to give you info that might convince you to get yourself in trouble. Have you thought about another avenue ... you ever have use for explosive on your farm? Just a thought; think outside the box. A chainsaw isn't the only way to take care of this stuation.
Best case scenario is it doesn't kill you and comes out of the tree it's hung in. Realistic scenario, when you've almost finish the backcut the tree jumps in a big way, stays hung. I've had to picket fence quite a few trees, but it is not the ideal situation.
Get a friend with some experience to take a look, or post some pic.s so we can stop talking about some of the IFs.

Just revisiting this thread. Since I'm an arborist, don't have real heavy equipment available on every job (cranes when needed), we usually do a leaning tree differently. We climb the tree its lodged in, or another nearby tree, or set ropes remotely. But when the room is available and a tractor, there's little to go wrong if you size up the situation and make careful cuts.

My earlier response was wrong. If the plan is to pull the tree off the stump, so it comes out of the tree it's hung in, then you need to notch the underside of the tree. Be careful, don't go too deep. Be aware of the downward forces in play. Then, apply a bit of tension with the tractor and make a backcut. Leave a slightly larger than normal hinge, or at least stop when the face either starts to open or close. Then pull it off the stump.

Your sideways pull idea might work as well, but only if it is only barely lodged in the other tree.

Back