Leaning Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PICS ARE HERE!!!

These are the pics. All three of the trees in front of the house go. They all fall to the left in the picture. But lean slightly right.

Thanks,

Jeff

It's late and I'm tired. GoE did you say you were going to fell these? IMHO these are high risk for an inexperienced feller so close to road and house. Why not take it slow, climb and dismantle. If the HO wont come to the party walk away. Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is admit a job is beyond your current level of skill.

It's late and I'm tired. GoE did you say you were going to fell these? IMHO these are high risk for an inexperienced feller so close to road and house. Why not take it slow, climb and dismantle. If the HO wont come to the party walk away. Sometimes the smartest thing you can do is admit a job is beyond your current level of skill.
:agree2:

to safely remove these trees,you should be an experienced certified arborist.
(i wouldn't hire anyone less).
if your not at this point in your career,you shouldn't attempt it.
you where just asking about basic tree climbing skills in another thread.
you should not to attempt these.
are you insured?
these tree's shouldn't simply be pulled over,but if you insist on doing it this way.(crazy imho) make sure your insured.
you will risk thousands and thousands of money in property damage should any of these tree go the wrong way while trying to simply fell them at once.even if tied at 3/4 of the way up.
inform the homeowner he needs a certified,experienced,insured arborist and walk away is my personal advice for you here.
you could let the homeowner know however,that you would be interested in the cleanup.(a good job itself)so a certified arborist/crew could simply drop everything and leave it.
the job gets done safely.
you still get work.
the home is safe and the homeowner is happy.
more than likely,a certified arborist/crew is going to be charging much more than you quoted him.but its the safest way.
this is just another day on the job for us experienced arborist but could end up ruining your reputation before you even get started in the field of arboriculture.(or much worse of course-death.)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Jason's face cut is wide enough that the tree can rotate to the ground with the hinge intact, and his hinge is well made, so I can give him a pass on minor variations in his style. He is in hardwoods that tend not to hang like conifers, and he has good aim. His partner on the skidder appreciates the low stumps. Jason is multi-lingual in cutting methods and can handle himself in any situation. He currently is logging out timber pushed over from a big wind event, with lots of hung-up trees.

Listen to his partner tell about taking a class from an 'expert' in Kentucky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgnLQ24pVGM

It sounds like Jason is a good guy... But bad technique, is bad technique. You can fall 200 trees that way, and it only takes one to kick out on you, and then you're screwed.

On a pro job up north, those stumps would get you fired.

I understand the differences on hard and soft wood, but there isn't a big enough difference to justify any cutting technique that is proven to be unsafe... And I wouldn't refer to it as 'a minor' variation in cutting technique.

Greenhorns will watch that video, and emulate what he does... So they'll be starting off wrong right out'a the gate. He presents that video as a 'professional how-to' for safe and proper felling technique... Some of the stuff he shows is fine, but not all.

And as far as the other video, I'm sure there are lot's of 'pro' felling classes around that aren't worth a hoot.

Like I said, I'm not saying your buddy isn't a good logger all around... Just pointing out some obvious things I saw in the video. :cheers:

I am insured. Couldn't imagine cutting if I wasn't. I looked at the pics and then again at the trees today. They're not leaning as bad as they look in the pics. I didn't cut today, he had some family things come up, and wanted me to wait till Monday. I did talk to him about the house behind, he's actually going to bulldoze it and make it a parking lot I guess. So, now felling them in that direction is more of a challenge to me. I was about to tell him it would cost more, but he jumped first and said the house could go. I got more $ anyway. lol Seemed prudent to me.

I'm thinking the one that leans the worst, will be the last to go. I can use it to block the other trees to. It's a lot bigger and healthier.

Thanks everyone,

Jeff

to safely remove these trees,you should be an experienced certified arborist.
(i wouldn't hire anyone less).
if your not at this point in your career,you shouldn't attempt it.
you where just asking about basic tree climbing skills in another thread.
you should not to attempt these.
are you insured?
these tree's shouldn't simply be pulled over,but if you insist on doing it this way.(crazy imho) make sure your insured.
you will risk thousands and thousands of money in property damage should any of these tree go the wrong way while trying to simply fell them at once.even if tied at 3/4 of the way up.
inform the homeowner he needs a certified,experienced,insured arborist and walk away is my personal advice for you here.
you could let the homeowner know however,that you would be interested in the cleanup.(a good job itself)so a certified arborist/crew could simply drop everything and leave it.
the job gets done safely.
you still get work.
the home is safe and the homeowner is happy.
more than likely,a certified arborist/crew is going to be charging much more than you quoted him.but its the safest way.
this is just another day on the job for us experienced arborist but could end up ruining your reputation before you even get started in the field of arboriculture.(or much worse of course-death.)
attachment.php

To safely remove these trees you need to be experienced being a certified arborist is not all that important in this situation unless your local law requires such. The big one in front not only leans but the majority of the weight is going in the wrong direction. They should be made a little smaller before you try to take them down. But since your looking to learn maybe you can find a local guy to take the job and in return for the business give you some advice on your climbing education.

To safely remove these trees you need to be experienced being a certified arborist is not all that important in this situation unless your local law requires such. The big one in front not only leans but the majority of the weight is going in the wrong direction. They should be made a little smaller before you try to take them down. But since your looking to learn maybe you can find a local guy to take the job and in return for the business give you some advice on your climbing education.

Think it's smart to use the big lean one to practice climbing on? Get more comfortable for free?

Well first thing is to evaluate the tree for safety. If the root system is strong and you rule out dangerous decay or any other hazards then yeah it could be a good learning experience. But if you planning on cutting in the tree then you should be at a point where you are very comfortable climbing, descending, advancing ropes, ETC ETC... if your not cutting and just want to practice climbing there is a lesson or two to be learned about climbing a leaner like for instance if your body thrusting first try it on the backside of the lean the go around to the front side and see the difference. go up 90 degrees of the lean and practice getting around to a work position on either side. But of course insure you have all the required safety equipment, go slow as you get comfortable work you way up. Having an educated eye to watch you would be a huge plus.

Well first thing is to evaluate the tree for safety. If the root system is strong and you rule out dangerous decay or any other hazards then yeah it could be a good learning experience. But if you planning on cutting in the tree then you should be at a point where you are very comfortable climbing, descending, advancing ropes, ETC ETC... if your not cutting and just want to practice climbing there is a lesson or two to be learned about climbing a leaner like for instance if your body thrusting first try it on the backside of the lean the go around to the front side and see the difference. go up 90 degrees of the lean and practice getting around to a work position on either side. But of course insure you have all the required safety equipment, go slow as you get comfortable work you way up. Having an educated eye to watch you would be a huge plus.

I'm thinking I'm gonna just sharpen the axe tonight and do these old school.

Educated eye might be hard. I'm thinking of spiking up them, maybe refine those techniques a bit. lol

I'll bring a hatchet and some of that Wally-World hollow braid yellow nylon rope. Should hold, right? hehe...Kidding

These are all very nice strong trees. They block this guys parking lot plans, and his itty bitty sign that's like over 70 yrds away. lol

I'm thinking I'm gonna just sharpen the axe tonight and do these old school.

Educated eye might be hard. I'm thinking of spiking up them, maybe refine those techniques a bit. lol

I'll bring a hatchet and some of that Wally-World hollow braid yellow nylon rope. Should hold, right? hehe...Kidding

These are all very nice strong trees. They block this guys parking lot plans, and his itty bitty sign that's like over 70 yrds away. lol

Well I may have mentioned this before but, any chance you get to practice spiking with out damaging a healthy tree go for it.

Well I may have mentioned this before but, any chance you get to practice spiking with out damaging a healthy tree go for it.

That's the idea. One way or another these all are coming down. I think if I can spend a few hrs and get more comfortable, i could limb them on the way up, top them out then fell the last smaller portion, at that point it won't matter which way it falls. However, still wedge it and everything just like I would, to get the practice. Sound reasonable?

Jeff

Yes experienced I would pull in hook up my choker cables which are made to go 30' up then back my bucket into to drop zone spool out my 20 ton winch and have all 3 safely on the ground two hours tops. I would not have to cut anything off three notch and drops from what I can see.

Last edited:
That's the idea. One way or another these all are coming down. I think if I can spend a few hrs and get more comfortable, i could limb them on the way up, top them out then fell the last smaller portion, at that point it won't matter which way it falls. However, still wedge it and everything just like I would, to get the practice. Sound reasonable?

Jeff

Well the big leaner I would definitely limb and top before I dropped it, all the weight is going with the lean so it compounds the problem. If your planning on doing so be careful, go slow, always use at least two tie ins, double check everything before you cut anything and be sure you have someone else with you (preferably a climber can get you out of the tree if there is a problem). Before you go up that tree with a saw make sure you are totally comfortable climbing with out one, going up and coming down. standing in a tree in spikes an a lanyard 40 feet up is cool, standing in a tree on spikes an a lanyard 40 feet up and running a chainsaw is a hole new world and a hole new dangerous. Like many here I first started doing any cutting in a tree with a handsaw and thought man this is no big deal, but the first time I cut (at any height) with a chainsaw, well I not afraid to admit I had a little leg shake when I got down. BUT I WAS HOOKED FOR LIFE AFTER.

Last edited:
Well the big leaner I would definitely limb and top before I dropped it, all the weight is going with the lean so it compounds the problem. If your planning on doing so be careful, go slow, always use at least two tie ins, double check everything before you cut anything and be sure you have someone else with you (preferably a climber can get you out of the tree if there is a problem). Before you go up that tree with a saw make sure you are totally comfortable climbing with out one, going up and coming down. standing in a tree in spikes an a lanyard 40 feet up is cool, standing in a tree on spikes an a lanyard 40 feet up and running a chainsaw is a hole new world and a hole new dangerous. Like many here I first started doing any cutting in a tree with a handsaw and thought man this is no big deal, but the first time I cut with a chainsaw, well I not afraid to admit I had a little leg shake when I got down. BUT I WAS HOOKED FOR LIFE AFTER.

My plan is to spend most of the day climbing without a saw, and maybe towards the evening start cutting if at all tomorrow. I wanna be 100% comfortable. I've gotten uncomfortable only once, that's all it took for me. lol

I also thought about running a cable from the guy's wrecker up and over a limb, down to me, and winching me up, then cutting away, but something seemed off to me about it, not sure yet, but that's not the plan. lol

Thanks stihl, you're greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Well I ran over real quick and cut one up for you to drop. I would feel safe flopping it now.

BEFORE
attachment.php

AFTER
tree1.jpg

Jeff

Jeff -

I searched your thread for "wire" - didn't get a hit. You probably already know. Anyway, just thought it should be said: When you're cutting topside (handsaw or chainsaw) make sure lanyard has a wire core.

Looks like a fun project - good luck. Hope you'll post some pix.

-JB

I use wire core myself but there is tons of controversy over how good it really is. I would like to believe it improves your chances some, but I wouldnt say its as important as having two tie ins. If you have plenty of money to spend on gear then hell ya get one. If your limited then I would suggest buying two non wire core lanyards if your gonna be piecing out a trunk. I prefer a climb line as back up but double flip line is sometimes faster to just get the work done.

Wire core test <--- see video

Last edited:
Back