Learned something today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
An unintended side effect of milling cedar cut during the summer months is sap on your shirt, pants, and any exposed skin TWICE. I milled in the morning, ran out of gas, showered, changed clothes, went to town and did some shopping, came back, finished milling... tada! 2 sets of sappy clothing in one day. :help: I need a shop apron or something.

Ian

An unintended side effect of milling cedar cut during the summer months is sap on your shirt, pants, and any exposed skin TWICE. I milled in the morning, ran out of gas, showered, changed clothes, went to town and did some shopping, came back, finished milling... tada! 2 sets of sappy clothing in one day. :help: I need a shop apron or something.

Ian

LOL, I guess I should have warned you about that. Ive been letting my logs set a while to sorta "bleed out" before milling them. They can still be a little sappy even after setting for a month or so.

Must be different cedar there. I love cuttin it compared to d.fir or pondorosa pine for the pitch factor. Man, if I sit on a stack of pine I pretty well stick to it, not to mention my tools.
I'm curious as to the species of cedar there. Here I have Western Red (not much), Inscense (folks call it "pencil cedar"- very aromatic), and Port Orfard -very choice- most went to Japan- very valuable. I've seen PO cedars near the coast over 15' dbh. Not as tall as redwoods, but as girthy. Loggers call it "white cedar".
My F.S. contracts are wrapped up for the spring, hope to get some logs in before fire restrictions set in.

Another thing I learned is that if I keep this up, my 1 gallon gas can is going to get the boot in favor of a 2 1/2 gallon. I expect the 372 is going to be thirstier than the 361 too.

Ian

Man, you are really on a learning curve today.

Yes, 1 gallon gas cans are useless to a CSMer. You will also need to start buying bar oil by the gallon too if you haven't already. I just bought 6 more gallons of bar oil from my Husky dealer that went out of business. I'm good for a couple of years now, I've got 10-12 gallons in stock. When you run an aux oiler, you go through a bit of bar oil.

I have an old milk crate from an expired dairy that works perfect for transporting all of this. I can fit my 2 1/2 gal gas can, a gallon of bar oil, a quart of MX-2t, the aux oiler, and a bottle of water in it. Cut out a piece of cardboard, double layered, to cover the bottom.

Mark

Latest posts

Back