Left hand saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also the Cox Beaver. This one belongs to Kevin Krotenko in Sasketchewan.
Kevin also has one of the Skarie saws and Pete Smyth in northern California has one, the original Skarie company in Baltimore has one and I have three. I had five at one time but I traded two away to Kevin and Pete. Mark, you need one of the Skaries for your museum.

Attachments

• Cox Beaver - Kevin Krotenko.jpg
    Cox Beaver - Kevin Krotenko.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2
Also the Cox Beaver. This one belongs to Kevin Krotenko in Sasketchewan.
Kevin also has one of the Skarie saws and Pete Smyth in northern California has one, the original Skarie company in Baltimore has one and I have three. I had five at one time but I traded two away to Kevin and Pete. Mark, you need one of the Skaries for your museum.
I think I probably have a scary saw or two on the barn. I know I have a Mac lefty somewhere

Though this is not a left hand saw it is nearly as odd. The bar and clutch/sprocket can the mounted on either side of the gear drive of the gear so it can be an inboard for best handling or outboard for stumping the printed add states...LOL!! "State of the Art" saw for sure!!!

IMG_0795.jpgIMG_0796.jpg

A lot a guys like to put two bars on those old DB's when they take them to the old time power shows, makes some folks scratch their heads.

Many of the McCulloch gear drive saws were also designed for mounting the bar in either position, center for better balance or outboard for flush cutting.

McCulloch 1-63R.JPG

Mark

Are there any saws that have the chain driven off the right side of the crank?

Joe
Hey Joe!

I take it you're asking because of the strength difference between the two arms. In my opinion, Lefties have the advantage with chainsaws, just as golfers do - it's a left-hand thing! The trigger hand is your right hand, but your power hand is the left hand. This is where Righties are at a disadvantage, and Lefties have the upper hand. Strictly speaking, we should be using our saws with a straight left arm. This reduces the impact of kickback by sending the saw up and over in case of kickback. You see where I'm going here?

Regards,
Mike

Hey Joe!

I take it you're asking because of the strength difference between the two arms. In my opinion, Lefties have the advantage with chainsaws, just as golfers do - it's a left-hand thing! The trigger hand is your right hand, but your power hand is the left hand. This is where Righties are at a disadvantage, and Lefties have the upper hand. Strictly speaking, we should be using our saws with a straight left arm. This reduces the impact of kickback by sending the saw up and over in case of kickback. You see where I'm going here?

Regards,
Mike
Good points Mike. I was just wondering if there were saws made with "left hand drives".

Back