Left OWB for 8 days with no problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know it's been bounced back and forth on how or if it would work. Maybe it has already been confirmed and I missed it? Wife and I took a trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for 8 days. Since my in-laws were watching the kids I decided to let the oil burner take over and "back feed" from the water to air exchanger "exchanger on the intake side". I showed them how to check it every day, just to make sure it wouldn't freeze. I always wondered if it would work good and figured this would be a good time to try it out. Since my in-laws are retired seniors, I did not want to bother them with it. I had my buddy on the call list to fire it up and tend it if it did get in the danger zone as he kept it going for me last year....it cost me a bottle of tequilla, not too bad of a trade but I wanted to try it and see without bothering anyone for a week, he still got a bottle anyway. When we left it was -11° so that was a trial right off the bat. The temps varied through the week with a high of 40° but mainly below freezing especially at night. Come to find out it never dropped below 60°. Maybe it won't work for everyone, but it sure worked good for me. 90ish' of insulated pipe 2' below ground and the circulator going 24/7 obviously. Didn't seem to use too much fuel either. Heating about 2600sqft @72°.

Last edited:
Vacation with out the kid's. I wish!! my mom live's in florida with my sister and doesn't travel well. and my wife's parents are abouy 8,800 miles away is the philippines. glad it worked out with the boiler

Good to know! Thanks for posting your results. I know this has came up a lot and it seems everyone thought it would work, but nobody had tried it for that duration.

I let mine go for 4 days this winter and on the 3rd day it was 117 degrees. It back feeds from the hx. Just leave the pump running.

I let mine go out a lot. The reason being is a long boring story but my propane furnance runs and the water stays about 80F, but it does use more propane than normal.

Latest posts

Back