Leg nearly severed by a stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thank you TM for the insightful and introspective look at your accident. What you have presented here may well help others to not fall to the same fate as you have.

I would like to put forward some observations:

The safety device that is held up by the bungee cord, in your picture of the grinder was being held out of position and could not perform its function. Certainly a violation of safety regulations. Companies that promote and / or allow their workers to disable safety devices are themselves responsible for injuries and accidents caused by the operation of the equipment. That is not necessarily you. It may well be your friend who owns the grinder. I am sure that Vermeer never intended that guard to be held out of position.

Also in the picture of the grinder, I noticed that there were several people that were within feet of it. Just with sawing operations there should be a DANGER ZONE established - and maintained.

I wonder sometimes if it would not be better to send a habitually unsafe worker home rather than constantly have to watch his performance as well as what you are doing.

I wish for you a speedy recovery and to never have anything like this happen in your life again.

I hope that many benefit from your tragedy. Have you talked with the folks at Vermeer about this accident? Often engineers are very interested in how accidents happen, so that they can make the machine less prone to the same thing happening again.

Hal

Just got back from vacation and sat down to catch up.
Very, very sobering, I'd like to add my prayers and wishes for your continued steady recovery, God has a reason for your life!
I still consider myself a fairly new tree surgeon (2 years, but with 15 years landscape background)) and am about to head off on a two month training course to update and improve my skills. Reading your completely honest and transparent account of your accident has reinforced to me the absolute critical need for safe working procedures, wearing of PPE and communicating safety information to others working with you.
In light of what you have experienced and been professional enough to share, it has caused me to think about some situations I have condoned when it came to cutting a little slack with safety. It will never happen again.
I have been very impressed with this groups' willingness to share their experiences that have been both near misses and full on tragedies, for what it's worth, your experience will save lives.
Thank you

Ohhh, you guys and girls, ya just about bring me to tears. I could never have expected so much sympathy. I thought from the beginning that this was areally stupid thing to have happen and when I began writing this thread, I expected to get flamed.

Nobody has done that. All I've gotten is support and I can't tell you how much that means to me.

I've always been one to count my blessings, but this has been a blessing to top all blessings. First, I still wonder why why I wasn't sucked into that spinning wheel and turned into a meat pile. How was it that in the same fraction of a second that I got hit that I was in a forward dive? How was it that in the midst of that dive, as the teeth grabbed the kevlar in my chainsaw pants that the pant leg was stripped off of me and I hit the ground with my foot and ankle still attached? All this happened in a second or two.

I can only explain it one way. A Guardian Angel was standing right there, gave me a push away from the wheel of death and said, "Not yet."

As you stated
" I can only explain it one way. A Guardian Angel was standing right there, gave me a push away from the wheel of death and said, "Not yet."

Ive had My Guardian Angel look out for me many times at many Fire Calls I've responded to.

I keep a picture in my locker to remind me that My Guardian Angel is always watching over me.

EarthAnglesSmall.bmp

TM,

I just learned abuot this whole unfortunate episode in your life. My prayers that you are back at it ASAP my friend.

TM

You surviving this accident is being re payed by you spreading the word and waking all of us up. It is hard to count the accidents that do not happen and lives that are not lost, but their value is apparent when we read/tell stories like yours.

My partner and I have learned in our case, that accidents happen when we lose our humility. My favorite prayer before, during and after work is the humility to know I don't know things. Listen to the gentle whispering of your gut, the tree, the wind and Angel wings to help you through. Thank you again for your story.

Todd

It may sound like an old cliche', but I feel like I've been spared for some higher purpose. It may be that I was supposed to elevate everyone's consciousness about safety, save a life, prevent other unnecessary injuries. That was my intent all the way through this, but quite honestly, it has not been that much of a stretch. I think this is a 'practice session' for something bigger.

I'll take on any challenge. I've been given a second chance and ample time to do it.

Thanks Ozy and PB and Squid. Go home, every night, in one piece. Give love without reserve.

I am learing arborism right now, with books, hands on, and what you guys teach here.I keep up on the accidents because i shore don't need any .but i also share these with my co-workers because they often rent equipment to do jobs with ( they know everything) .TREE MACHINE. your accident,is a very strong learning tool that should be used whereever possible ,definetly in the tool renting area . I inquired about instruction for renting a chipper, was told that there was a safety book came with it ,( but it is so simple any body can use it) this is where this knowledge needs to be stressed. this may be the direction GOD wants you to go.I hope you have a speedy recovery.will be praying for you.

I would be willing to be the 'poster child' for outdoor safety. Three years ago I set up an informational website for arborists and outdoor workers. It was wrapped around two central themes: Safety and Recycling.

I got loads of e-mails criticizing me for telling about safety gear, but not offering it for sale, or linking to a site where they could buy it. It was received well, but the same complaint kept coming in, so I dumped that site.

Could it be that this is my destiny? I'm listening to the signs all around me. I'm listening to all of you.

Sharpstik, I'm glad to have you here at this site, and appreciate your wisdom and your insight. You are early-on in the game, and have your senses pointed in the right direction. I see you being a good, conscientous boss or foreman one day. Your leadership is apparent.

you mentioned a good doctor's visit... tell all!!!

in an email 2 weeks ago or so, you mentioned a great doctor's visit... OK, so what was the outcome? how's the recovery coming along??? and forgive me if you posted to the site-- i was out of town for a week of forensic interview training and haven't caught up...

as always, your heart & attitude is encouraging...

TM sorry to hear of your accident, I hope you are doing better and come to a full recovery soon.

Hi Trin! It's quite a coincidence that you ask. I've just been pulling together a few pictures. Give me a few minutes, please, to pull it all together.

Most of my problem these days is my foot swelling. Just a few minutes on crutches and it begins to puff up (owww!) If you'll be defrosting something for dinner, it is a good time to multi-task.

That last image showed a loopie sling I got from the great Nick from Wisconsin. Because it's length is so easily and instantly adjustable, the loopie sling has been a critical part of my physical therapy (which isn't supposed to start for two weeks).

Pic 1 show I've got it chokered to the arm of my chair. I slide my body downward, the toe comes upward.

Pic 2 5-10 minutes to slowly and gently stretch that achilles tendon and remaining calf. During this patient process I find time to write thank you notes to all the tree clients who have sent cards to wish me well.

Pic 1 is a card from a cherised client (inside: get lots of rest and eat chicken soupy!)

Pic 2 is my thank you card to her. I've had a little extra time to learn a few tricks in PhotoShop.

And finally, 4 shots of the actual wound zones. This is 6-1/2 weeks from the incident.

Pic 1, skin graft donor site on the thigh

Pic 2, final days of healing where the broken bones ripped through the front of the shin

Pic 3, what I'm doing about that stubborn shin area

Pic 4, the back of the calf, what Elizabeth refers to as 'the shark bite'. I say this is 98% healed, at least on the surface, what you 'see'. Down deeper, the calf muscles are starting to make a comeback, little by little.

Exercising those wounded muscles requires some pressure, which the healing bones still don't allow. Any pressure at all = pain, but I can feel things inside beginning to reach that 'itchy' phase of healing. There's no way I can bear weight on it, but in the next couple weeks I'll ease into that. Nick's loopie sling has been a great arborist tool for the healing of an arborist.

Those are all the pics for now, unless you'd like to see the squrrels I've been making friends with. These otherwise wild creatures will now walk up to within a meter of me, diggin on the peanuts. It was one at first, now they show up in small groups.

I almost forgot to reply to you...

Trinity Honoria said:
in an email 2 weeks ago or so, you mentioned a great doctor's visit... OK, so what was the outcome?

I went in to see a Psychiatrist, wearing my Saran Wrap underpants. He said, "I can clearly see your nuts."

:p ;)

Tree Machine said:
I almost forgot to reply to you...

I went in to see a Psychiatrist, wearing my Saran Wrap underpants. He said, "I can clearly see your nuts."

:p ;)

good to know the grinder didn't geld you... i will rest better tonight...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back