Leg nearly severed by a stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TM, been following this thread and wanted to throw something out for you to consider. As it wasn't your machine, I would presume the owner has his own liability insurance. I would consider filing a claim with them. Doesn't mean you have to sue or get nasty or get a lawyer, but just see what they may have to offer. I have negotiated settlements with a couple of insurance companies myself. A pic of that safety guard held up by the bungee should be worth something.

The owner of the stump grinder is my brother in law. He's been amazingly supportive, has felt terribly about the whole thing and would do anything for me. He was not on site when it all happened.

Larry, I learned, was put on house arrest a few weeks after my accident for I don't know what. That only lasted a few weeks and he violated his probation. He's been given, as I understand, a mandatory 1 year sentence.

Larry and his wife had been renting a place from my brother in law and he's having to evict her, which is not a pleasant thing for any of the parties involved.

Being irresponsible is bad enough when it screws up your own life, but it usually has ripple effects that affect those close to you, or even those in the general vicinity. I think it's all pretty sad.

I'm OK, Tom. Like I said 8 pages ago, I accept my part in the responsibility of what happened. I'm booking takedowns and crown reductions for the Winter already. My clients are being very supportive and understanding and are willing to wait until I'm able to do the work. Isn't that awesome?

My goal is to be walking without crutches by the Tree Care Expo in early November. I sure appreciate your concern, Tom. It really means a lot to me.

My wife took me to the Indiana State Fair in a wheelchair yesterday. I was offered nutritious foods like deep-fried Reeses peanut butter cups, deep-fried Snickers bars and deep-fried TWINKIES. Do you believe the crap that people will eat. They had deep fried pickles! I was willing to try deep-fried cotton candy, but the dude at the concession wouldn't put it in his deep fryer. "The how bout deep-fried ice cream? I'd like a deep-fried MILKSHAKE , please." and she wheeled me away.

Elizabeth is quite the nutrition girl and was trying to get me to eat something healthy. They actually had deep-fried broccoli. I was more in line for a funnel cake. "How bout a grilled cheese sandwich?" she asks. "How bout a sugar-coated deep-fried stick of butter!"

This is Indiana, and I love my Hoosiers, but at the state fair there is a higher per capita concentration of rednecks than at WalMart on a Saturday night; and just less than that of a Monster Truck rally. I grew up out in the sticks, raised on a farm, and much of my upbringing was kinda rednecky. I escaped by getting a college education, and then Elizabeth erased any remnants of redneck from my psyche,... except for when the State Fair is in town. Then i want to put on a torn AC/DC shirt and turn my NASCAR hat around backwards. She won't have it, though.

"Why do they let their beer guts hang out from under their shirt", my princess asked. "Because that's how their husbands like it. Now quit bein judgemental about my Kin."

We didn't do any of the rides because I would have had to stand on one leg in line until I one-legged hopped on to the ride. I didn't miss out, though. I made my own ride. I called it 'Playin chicken with redneck kids'. I would just make sure they saw me coming, and then I'd fly toward em going, "Look out, look out, Outta control wheelchair!" I mean, when else can you enjoy an event such as that, I mean, it's not likely that even a redneck dad is going to punch out a cripple.

Anyway, it was really nice to get out of the house for a change. I had a great time. She was rather exhausted, or maybe the word is 'disgusted'. Today we're still married and talking and I can hide my inner redneck for another year.

Tree Machine said:
How bout a sugar-coated deep-fried stick of butter!

That's a good one! I've seen deep fried twinkies and pickles before. One time at Walmart I saw deep fried corn on the cob. Mmmm good!

When I was up there we drove by the state fair several times and I wanted to go to it, but we weren't there for fun. Besides, we had already gone to the race. There weren't as many rednecks there as I thought there would be. NASCAR just seems to have a reputation as 100% redneck. Most folks I saw were decent, sober people, although I did see one woman flash one of her headlights at a driver. :eek:

Tree Machine said:
"Why do they let their beer guts hang out from under their shirt", my princess asked. "Because that's how their husbands like it. Now quit bein judgemental about my Kin."

OH MY

thank you for the laugh... not laughing at your kin, but your turn of phrase... excellent!!! that grinder didn't touch your wit!!!

Rednecks is good peeple

Heh Heh. It's OK to lauge, just not to our faces. My kin are kinna funny.
The Awesome said:
NASCAR just seems to have a reputation as 100% redneck. Most folks I saw were decent, sober people
Yea, parole, house arrest, counseling and 12 step programs keep a large portion of us on good behavior. :p :Eye:

Tree Machine said:
Being irresponsible is bad enough when it screws up your own life, but it usually has ripple effects that affect those close to you, or even those in the general vicinity. I think it's all pretty sad.

My goal is to be walking without crutches by the Tree Care Expo in early November. I sure appreciate your concern, Tom. It really means a lot to me.

VERY VERY TRUE!gotta watch them ripples they turn into a wave that dumps you.

youll make it!

Y'all Indiana rednecks wouldn't punch a cripple, huh? Well, here in the great country of Texas, our rednecks would jump in their 4x4 pick-ups, and play chase, with you being "it."

Y'all damm yankees don't know sheet about being a redneck......

Rednecks iz peeple two...!

I agree KnotWhole. I guess I'm probably more along being a wannabee. Maybe in the future 'redneck' will be a cool status. Kinda like how 'slacker' had it's era of hip, and 'Grunge' has carved a permanent place in cool-dom. Now even it's soOOOoo cool to drop trou and walk bowlegged, boxers good and visible. If thAT can be in any wayhip and cool and 'in' I am tellin you, I'm promisin you Redneck is the next cool thing. They gotta get their turn....! We're gonna have a phase of Redneck Reality TV. I think we're already there. Jeff Foxworthy, and Mr GitR' DoNE! have made Redneck almost a fashion statement. As RB said a lot of us are gettin more sober. Redneck is a trend.
(dare I say it?) Redneck, is the rage.

Y'know I know a lot of 'hippies' who've made it successfully and responsibly. There will rise great Rednecks to amaze us all. The Redneck will have his (her) day. It is destiny.

Last edited:
Hey Jim-sorry the connection was so bad yesterday. I'm still laughing about the beergut line. Sorry I didn't see this before now. Been kinda busy around here for the last several months. You got my email and phone so if you need anything I'm right up the road(sorta). I would still like to get down there and take look at what your doing so maybe when your getting back on your feet and need a helping hand or two...in the meantime if we are heading down Indy way I'll give you a ring. We just had one of our guys back to work yesterday after getting his toes under the forks of a John Deere frontend loader this spring unloading B&B arborvitae(and I was the one driving :mad: ). Unfortunately his job description doesn't require him to wear steel toes.

Just having a bit of fun :p . I started thinking about the women with beer guts and cut off shirts...I've seen more of that than I'd care to think about :dizzy: .

Glad to see that your spirits are good! Positive vibes ;) are being sent your way.

Aw ra best...Chris J.

Thanks KnotWhole. You can survive, or you can thrive. As long as that's a choice, I know which way I'm goin.

DadF- woW! What a great surprise to have you call me up on the phone out of the blue. That made my day. In the doctor's appointment yesterday, he approved me to drive a car, and gave me the go-ahead to start gingerly putting weight on the leg (using crutches) and this week I start physical therapy.

I'm having a GREAT WEEK and today is my 42nd birthday :jester: :blob1: woo HOOOOOoooOoooo!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM :blob4: :blob2: !! What I'd give to be Forty two again. :) So when's the party? and where?

Jim, you're knot going to believe this, but it is true: I entered this world at 8:33 am 45 years ago. So happy birthday to you, and to me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back