Lets get this party started...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knothead.gif

Crane operators around here won't let people ride the ball or even a basket. I guess regulations are different here. I was thinking of buying a truck crane. Do you guys think they are big enough to make them worthwhile? What size do you recommend?

How's this for a sizeable pick with a 17 ton truck mount? we took these smallish firs in 16 to 55 foot long sections!

Finding Mike and his company has been a godsend for us, we have done many jobs with his small maneuverable 85 foot reach unit, and his prices are unworldly low too boot!

How about this appx 6-7000 lb 43 inch butt maple log.

I don't think a 24 foot wide crane could have gotten set up on this job. We've had many other jobs where Mike's truck was the only way, short of a big expensive crane. And we've picked many logs weighing well over 7000 lb, as long as we're able to get close.

Last edited:
Nice setting, eh? Another one from the same job, just a light weight pick. We brushed this tree out, lots of speed lining, without the crane. Would have been no place to set the brush.

I have been pondering what would be better, a bucket truck or a 17 ton crane like the one in rbtree's post. They advertise one in TCI that has a high hook height (around 140? w/ optional jib?) for around 80,000. I could see how I could ride the ball to the top, tie in and work it down, using the crane.

Just another thought.

Carl

It is 19 degrees outside this morning, so us wimps are going to start late. I know I know, Craig, that is a heat wave to you, ya stud!

Amazing survival story of a skier being found after 4 days missing from Alpental. The story has one thing wrong, tho. Temps dropped as low as 4 degrees in that area:
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsour...ug=skier05m&date=20040105&query=Dan+Witkowski

Link to the some pics of the patrolled backcountry that we ski, it is some of the hairiest terrain anywhere, bar none. http://www.alpental.com

The first pic attatched to the site.

1.jpg

So far Darin has not seen fit to purge the archive. We have near 10,000 image files in there.

You can do random searches by changing the number at the end of the address.

If you like a pic, of course you can bookmark it till Darin decides to do a purge.

I'm trying to get acess to the server to do a library of older pictures. Not sure if it will ever happen though.

Last edited:
I've been way busy for months lately, plus have had lots of problems with my old puter. So I've got a backlog of pics and stories to post. Any now the skiing is out of this world....

This maple was very very dead, but turned out easier than we thought. We were able to tie in high and do a lot without the crane.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Mike Maas
It's amazing to that small crane lift those huge pieses. Great pictures RB.
It's nice to see guys wearing PPE, makes you look very professional, even though we know better.:D

MM, ya needs to git a reel job...maybe in a film editing room in Hollyweed?:D :blob2:

Latest posts

Back