Lets go on a spending spree.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
For several years I have sold wood, tons and tons of it, and made do with the equipement that I had. Most of the cash went into the family fund for whatever we needed, and also bucket loads of cash thrown at the house for upgrades and remodels. All were very welll spent, but sometimes I felt a little ripped off. This is a second job, and a guy should be able to blow some money on themselves, right? Esecially when a guy has to work as hard as we do to get the wood in.
This year is different! I had a long talk with the wife last night, I mentioned that I really need some new gear to keep this up. How about some funding for this operation.
After much crying and nashing of teeth, we came to an agreement. I get HALF of all wood revenue this year to spend as I wish!
After calculating up my piles, and almost assured of a good sale this winter, I figure I got about 3700 bucks to blow on ME!
a tractor fund has already been established, so that doesnt fit into the equation. What should I blow this cash on?
I have figured some things like
Shelving the Husky 455 as a back up saw, and moving up to a 357XP. Have it priced at $625 delivered with a 20 inch bar.
Anyone got any good ideas of tools and equipement that makes the job easier?
Have been thinking of replacing the 372 with a 385, but doggone I like this saw!
Anything else?

That price seems awful high for the 357. That's even higher than the overpriced 361.

I'd spend the extra coin and get a 390 over the 385. I've used a 385 a few times and wasn't overly impressed. It feels nearly as heavy as a 660 but quite a bit short on grunt.

Most importantly, treat yourself. You deserve it.:givebeer:

That price seems awful high for the 357. That's even higher than the overpriced 361.

I'd spend the extra coin and get a 390 over the 385. I've used a 385 a few times and wasn't overly impressed. It feels nearly as heavy as a 660 but quite a bit short on grunt.

Most importantly, treat yourself. You deserve it.:givebeer:

Anyone got any better prices on the 357XP? Our local dealers both want 680 for theirs, but I found one website that stills sells Husky online, they want 619 delivered for the 357XP. Here is the link
http://www.wisesales.com/Huskysaws.html
I have never ran the 390, our local dealer seems to never have it in stock, and has never had a demo of it. I demod the 385 and the 3120. The 3120 was like carrying around a sack of concrete. Would be great for milling, but thats about all in my opinion.

Maybe take a few hundred and just "try" some stuff out.

Lightweight bars
Different chains
Different mauls...I'm with that volume you do most all on a splitter
Back-up winch? (from previous posts.)
Trailer "masculinization" (you know...bigger, faster, stronger)

Okay, the last two blow the "few hundred" theory.

Alaskan mill? Would/could you use one?

Then again, maybe sit down and find the "bottleneck" or "weak link" in the whole operation and focus on it.

Whatever you do, set a little aside and make some plans for a good time with the wife. She's the only reason you're getting the 3700 this year....and the only thing keeping you from getting it next year!!!:cheers:

For the price of a 357XP, I would be inclined to pony up a few more $ and get another 372XP. Unless you have the need for a bigger saw, save the $. My 372XP 20" was $700 to my door a few months back. Amicks had smokin' deals on 24" and 28" bars, so I picked up a 28" and a few chains.

put it under the mattress

the way things are looking with the economy stash it, or better yet turn it to gold, it hardly ever depreciates..IMO

Forks for the tractor, Northern Tool has some slick ones that clamp on the bucket, various weight limits, and ability to put in a back board.

Logging chain, clevis, hooks, ......weld some hooks on the tractor bucket.

Have a mounting plate made that allows universal hookup for skidsteer attachments, like a grapple instead of the bucket.....

All this is assuming the tractor has a front end loader.

Trailer upgrade to take the tractor out in the woods, electric brake controller for your truck, maybe some leaves added to your rear truck spriings.

Does your truck have a rear hitch receiver?, 2", then get an insert that you can weld a plate to, and bolt a bench vise to the plate, and you can do saw chain touchups in the field.
------------------

If the tractor is staying home, then how about a rear bumber, hide away crane/winch setup for lifting the big stuff right into the bed.

----------------

Spare parts for your saws, new bars, more chains, or a bench sharpener, or maybe a woods port on a used 70cc saw, hmmmm.

-----------------

A used 1-Ton pickup, that has a pto dump, very handy, sometimes as little as $1500. In fact, there's one in SE WI right now. 8' box.

A conveyor to fill the truck from the splitter...

A production splitter.....

So many things that could be done with the budget you have, and have change left over.:cheers:

Another 372XP with accesories to start....after all she didnt say to spend it all at once, right ( yeah, I like loop holes!).:clap:

For several years I have sold wood, tons and tons of it, and made do with the equipement that I had. Most of the cash went into the family fund for whatever we needed, and also bucket loads of cash thrown at the house for upgrades and remodels. All were very welll spent, but sometimes I felt a little ripped off. This is a second job, and a guy should be able to blow some money on themselves, right? Esecially when a guy has to work as hard as we do to get the wood in.
This year is different! I had a long talk with the wife last night, I mentioned that I really need some new gear to keep this up. How about some funding for this operation.
After much crying and nashing of teeth, we came to an agreement. I get HALF of all wood revenue this year to spend as I wish!
After calculating up my piles, and almost assured of a good sale this winter, I figure I got about 3700 bucks to blow on ME!
a tractor fund has already been established, so that doesnt fit into the equation. What should I blow this cash on?
I have figured some things like
Shelving the Husky 455 as a back up saw, and moving up to a 357XP. Have it priced at $625 delivered with a 20 inch bar.
Anyone got any good ideas of tools and equipement that makes the job easier?
Have been thinking of replacing the 372 with a 385, but doggone I like this saw!
Anything else?

tell your wife since she said you could do half with what you wish, you are going to have a nice night at the local gentlemans club....that should raise an eyebrow!

I bought a grapple bucket for my tractor and about tripled my output of fire wood this year. I got it on ebay for $1200.00. My back feels alot better too.

get/fab a conveyor or even two of them. One for onsite processing and one that can be used for mobile setups and deliveries. Move wood fast, pile it high, and save your back!

I would get a 346xp. I love mine nice and lite and great power. Great for cutting wood up to 16inches. I would also spend most of that on a elevator and a super splitter. You will up your production with one. And they are very cheap to operate. Or I would look for a dump trailer. They are great for firewood. Plus you can make a few bucks with it when your not cutting wood if you want. Or like someone else said a truck with a dump. A grapple is a great thing also.

Scott

Originally Posted by NC Firewood
the way things are looking with the economy stash it, or better yet turn it to gold, it hardly ever depreciates..IMO
Best answer.
i agree.

and looks like a good list is starting for you...

write everything down everyone said.

make a list of what you have right now.
and decide where is the BEST place to put the money...

new/bigger saw? yes.
chaps/saftey equipment? yes.
better/faster way to get the wood home? yes.

just my $.03 :)

I bought a grapple bucket for my tractor and about tripled my output of fire wood this year. I got it on ebay for $1200.00. My back feels alot better too.

+1, I did this also for my Bobcat. I used a portion of last years tax return money. It was simply the best piece of equipment that I have ever purchased besides the skidsteer, it has easily paid for itself with a few months of owning it. I've never had that happen, word of mouth. Though my wife was PISSED when I came home with it, I didn't care, it's always my ass out there doing the work, and the whole family benefits by burning wood so it was the perfect reason to have it, and I couldn't see ever working without it again. Cut tree down, limb, grab with grapple put log in pile, repeat until you have a good pile of logs, buck em, pick pile up with grapple load into dump trailer, haul home, very little hand picking.

Pish Posh have fun while ya can!!! Still be responsible but the cup is half full too not always half empty.

Kyle

That or the cup is to tall or to short.. depending how ya look at things.. Kinda going with CharlieG and NC Firewood.. 372xp with some extras and put the rest under the bed just incase something happens

What type of grapple did you get and how big is your tractor ??

Back