Let's "palletize" the firewood on metal pallets...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, so i haven't had a wood stove since 1986. Just got back into it a few weeks ago for the long term. So, we cut the tree up, move the wood to the splitter(1), load the wood onto a trailer or truck(2), off load and stack(3), then move it into the stove(4). So i was thinking, man there has to be a way to eliminate some steps. I pondered it for a while, then, a snapse fired and got thru. I had some steel pallets that were left behind on the 10ac we bought as an investment.

Stove1010.jpg

Now i know everyone doesn't have the luxury of a tractor with forks, but if you do, this will take out steps (3) & (4).

Stove1011.jpg

Stove1012.jpg

Now, when i get home, all i have to do is fork the pallet anywhere i want, then into the shop when i am ready to burn. Now i need to find about a dozen of these things. They are 3x4x4. So 2 of them is about 3/4 of a cord.

RD

Last edited:
those metal pallets are what chemical tanks are shipped in-guys related to ag./farming will know what im talking about. Some small order liquid fertilizer tanks are shipped in them. Guy that repairs our tractor tires uses these metal pallets with tank inside them to hold the calcium (honestly dont know technical term for it) while patchin tubes or changing tires.

Check with chemical handlers, plants, liquid fertilizer companies if they have any they would be willing to part with.

Good idea ya got going there!

Austin, check again there are -2 pallets & -2 old chevy trucks....a '72 LB & a '68 short step. The LB is my work truck & the SS is a work in progress.
Pond015.jpg

Goatchin, yes i ave seen these things around, so i am going to start asking questions. Actually, one of these had been converted to a goat hauler & the other a goat watering trough by the P/O. Since scrap is down in $ maybe i can snag a few of them & not break the bank.

RD

IBCs

They are called IBCs or Intermediate Bulk Containers. Cutting the plastic tank out would yeild a nice pallet with a cage for firewood. Just be careful of any residue inside as these are commonly used to transport Haz Mat, in particular corrosive and flammable liquids.:chainsaw:

RD, your trailer looks a little lite for the load? In one pic, it actually looks like it's bowed? Given that a cord of dry oak or hickory will go 4000 lbs, you'd put 3000 [ballpark] on it? It's a good setup, saves you time & work, hate to see you 'kill off' part of it -

They are called IBCs or Intermediate Bulk Containers. Cutting the plastic tank out would yeild a nice pallet with a cage for firewood. Just be careful of any residue inside as these are commonly used to transport Haz Mat, in particular corrosive and flammable liquids.:chainsaw:

Perfect for a watering trough for your animals then.......:dizzy:

Mike,yeah, it's a double wave runner trailer i converted into a atv trailer. I have beat the crap out of it hauling things i shouldn't. When i was building my place i went to Home Desperate & loaded a full bundle(68 sheets) of 1/2 osb on it. Bent the tongue to the ground. I thought osb weighed around 30lbs a sheet, so after off loading it from the bent trailer to the truck, then into the shop i weighed a sheet......50lbs.....:cry: Your right, the 20' beaver tail trailer would be more appropriate for the next load. One of these days i am going to build a really stout small trailer............

RD

:agree2:
That trailer is overloaded-too much of a good thing :) . I prefer to make more trips than one heavy one. Spend time stacking wood rather than repairing the trailer.

I've been looking for a bunch of those totes to do exactly THAT with. Unfortunately, since biodiesel became popular...... the price is way out of reach. I had the same idea, just fork them where ever you need them. Kudos to you for making your life easier !!:clap:

In the past couple years we have givin away hundreds of those pallets. Some with steel bottom others have a wood pallet under. When these things got approval for use from the powers that be our suppliers over loaded us with them. A positive note is that they dont charge us a deposit. Now companies have sprung up everywhere that have cleaning facilities (or so they say) that properly clean and then resale back to the chemical suppliers. Each one comes with a 800 number to call and they will come pick up.

I ve got a couple here at home that I plan on doing something similiar with. Also have maybe a dozen at work we reuse ourselves. If a person was wanting these I would say wait toward the end of planting season and stop by the local ag store/coop and ask if you could have a few of them. Good chance if its busy season they will let you take some cause they are probably tired of moving them around waiting for the other companies to pick them up.

BTW the majority of ours contain glyphosate which from my experience is a great tank cleaner in its self. The containers rinse out nicely and know of couple guys who use them as a shuttle for watering livestock in more remote areas.

We have wooden ones up here called "tater crates" obviously used up north in potato country. They are exactly a 1/2 cord (when stacked well or piled high) and they are also used as balsam wreath boxes too. Quite a few around too and usually made of oak. I've got some I use as wood boxes in the summer kitchen and porch as a way station from the barn.

those metal pallets are what chemical tanks are shipped in-guys related to ag./farming will know what im talking about. Some small order liquid fertilizer tanks are shipped in them. Guy that repairs our tractor tires uses these metal pallets with tank inside them to hold the calcium (honestly dont know technical term for it) while patchin tubes or changing tires.

Check with chemical handlers, plants, liquid fertilizer companies if they have any they would be willing to part with.

Good idea ya got going there!

Dad used to call it Sodium Chloride. It would cause steel to rust before your eyes! Nasty stuff but it worked for adding liquid weight to the tractors.

I was thinking of doing something similar, but modifying wood pallets with some vertical side boards. Haven't played with it yet so I'm not sure how stable it will be while moving it around.

My friend got one of those enclosed metal pellets from a place near by that uses a lot of chemicals fairly cheap, he made a deer hunting stand out of it to put up in a tree he lines the sides with branches and brush, it blocks the wind and camo's the blind very nice hunting set up.

Last edited:
Ok, so i haven't had a wood stove since 1986. Just got back into it a few weeks ago for the long term. So, we cut the tree up, move the wood to the splitter(1), load the wood onto a trailer or truck(2), off load and stack(3), then move it into the stove(4). So i was thinking, man there has to be a way to eliminate some steps. I pondered it for a while, then, a snapse fired and got thru. I had some steel pallets that were left behind on the 10ac we bought as an investment.

Stove1010.jpg

Now i know everyone doesn't have the luxury of a tractor with forks, but if you do, this will take out steps (3) & (4).

Stove1011.jpg

Stove1012.jpg

Now, when i get home, all i have to do is fork the pallet anywhere i want, then into the shop when i am ready to burn. Now i need to find about a dozen of these things. They are 3x4x4. So 2 of them is about 3/4 of a cord.

RD

You need a dozen of em? Heck, you got 2 , gimme one. Very nice.

Latest posts

Back