Let's talk about kickback...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My greatest contribution to this topic is keep left arm
locked if right handed opposite if a lefty and if you got
to bore cut get full body kevlar!

What oil should I use when bore cutting:confused:

Well Cedarkerf, LET'S TALK VISCOSITY....depending on what type of bore cut, tree, temprature, atmoshperic pressure, wind, precipitation, and sunlight your oil can break down in the cut. That's bad. I trust ######## for all of my bore cuts. Take it from a pro:ices_rofl: When your oil breaks down in 1/200th of a second by the time it reaches your tip (20-24" bar given for most east coasters) that transfers to your cutters. The seemless row of Dolphins porpousing out of the water becomes disprupted and THAT can lead to kick back.

My greatest contribution to this topic is keep left arm
locked if right handed opposite if a lefty and if you got
to bore cut get full body kevlar!

I wasn't condoning the bore cut, just he did a decent job of explaining what part of the bar to avoid.

Well Cedarkerf, LET'S TALK VISCOSITY....depending on what type of bore cut, tree, temprature, atmoshperic pressure, wind, precipitation, and sunlight your oil can break down in the cut. That's bad. I trust ######## for all of my bore cuts. Take it from a pro:ices_rofl: When your oil breaks down in 1/200th of a second by the time it reaches your tip (20-24" bar given for most east coasters) that transfers to your cutters. The seemless row of Dolphins porpousing out of the water becomes disprupted and THAT can lead to kick back.
So 100 weight gear oil cut with 33 percent Mobil jet II full synthetic turbine oil should do the trick cause jets fly in the atmosphere.:clap:

Best advice I have is what my Dad told me when teaching me to run a saw "always know where the tip is...and don't put it anywhere it shouldn't be"

Best advice I have is what my Dad told me when teaching me to run a saw "always know where the tip is...and don't put it anywhere it shouldn't be"

Seems my dad had that talk with me about something else:hmm3grin2orange:
Good advise though, as well as avoiding the upper ninety degree quadrant
of the tip of the bar, hence; making bore cutting a very very sketchy
practice.

So 100 weight gear oil cut with 33 percent Mobil jet II full synthetic turbine oil should do the trick cause jets fly in the atmosphere.:clap:

Now you could be on to something here. The gear oil will not breakdown as quick, say maybe 1/50th of second. That will give the user more time to bore. The jet fuel for the cutting agent on the mixture will also aid in "sap" cutting which so many are worried about. Problem solved!

Seems my dad had that talk with me about something else:hmm3grin2orange:
Good advise though, as well as avoiding the upper ninety degree quadrant
of the tip of the bar, hence; making bore cutting a very very sketchy
practice.

Ok, if you want to bore cut, put the bottom of the pistol grip on your thigh, hold onto the handle bars securely and ease in. Your tip will be away from your body if it does fly out and you have better control with two points of contact on your body. Once again, I will say it, Full Complimentry chain will bore easier and kick back less.

Ok, if you want to bore cut, put the bottom of the pistol grip on your thigh, hold onto the handle bars securely and ease in. Your tip will be away from your body if it does fly out and you have better control with two points of contact on your body. Once again, I will say it, Full Complimentry chain will bore easier and kick back less.

I say in 24 years of professional tree work I have
unnecessarily used a bore cut maybe twice:monkey:

keep your thumb under the handle and dont rest it on top. kick back is a daily occurrence and the chain brake will do its job when u operate the saw correctly. u can make the saw kick back on purpose so u know what to expect. like others have said bad things happen when u dont expect them. be safe and dont EVER let your guard down

I say in 24 years of professional tree work I have
unnecessarily used a bore cut maybe twice:monkey:

I always used the bore cut when I was logging, well log trees, not pulp trees. expecialy birds eye. we where required to use it to reduce fiber pull from the logs. 8 inches of fiber pull from a 30 inch birds eye maple log.....big money loss! When I started doing ROW work never used it. Own my own busness now, use it now and then if the tree is log worthy, and I can make some money from it.

I always used the bore cut when I was logging, well log trees, not pulp trees. expecialy birds eye. we where required to use it to reduce fiber pull from the logs. 8 inches of fiber pull from a 30 inch birds eye maple log.....big money loss! When I started doing ROW work never used it. Own my own busness now, use it now and then if the tree is log worthy, and I can make some money from it.

But really my saws cut so fast fiber pull is not a
problem now cutting too fast:eek:

:agree2: the bore cut is mostly fer looging, but can be used to avoid pinching on downd timber if u dont like using wedges..

Plasmech-- The guys on this forum will bust your chops but there's good advice here. All chainsaw training programs will spend time on kickback and the identification of the "kickback quadrant" -- the top corner of your bar tip where it goes around the sprocket. I'd stay away from the 088 until you're comfortable with the 021 or whatever you're using.

Note on injuries -- they will more typically happen near the end of the day when fatigue has set in and you're not as alert. Kickback occurs in a fraction of a second.

Now for your next topic: Springpoles!!!!!!!

kinda scared ya the first time ya stuck it in, didnt it! funny ya tried it again!:jawdrop: ya did say ya tried it a couple times didnt ya:)

I have bored yes it did not scare me really as I
have carved some stuff with a saw so knew what
to expect. I just frown at the practice because
I feel it a dangerous one to spread around to people
starting out that may think it is right! I think it needs
to be a last resort imo.

I have bored yes it did not scare me really as I
have carved some stuff with a saw so knew what
to expect. I just frown at the practice because
I feel it a dangerous one to spread around to people
starting out that may think it is right! I think it needs
to be a last resort imo.

OK, OK already!!! I am sorry I brought out that video!!!
I do not advocate newbies bore cuting!!!! AGAIN!!! NEWBIES SHOULD NOT BORE CUT!!!!
I am just getting hal comfortable doing it, and when I do it's felling a tricky tree. I have yet to need it bucking.

MIKE: DO NOT BORE CUT ANYTHING YET!!!!!!!!

OK, OK already!!! I am sorry I brought out that video!!!
I do not advocate newbies bore cuting!!!! AGAIN!!! NEWBIES SHOULD NOT BORE CUT!!!!
I am just getting hal comfortable doing it, and when I do it's felling a tricky tree. I have yet to need it bucking.

MIKE: DO NOT BORE CUT ANYTHING YET!!!!!!!!

Heck sawwin I did not see a video takes way too long with my
dial and virus bs to download them! I merely posted my first post
to the kickback thread in humorous pun to oh no another bore
thread was not meant to be anything about nothing said:cheers:

Latest posts

Back