Let's talk about kickback...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bored yes it did not scare me really as I
have carved some stuff with a saw so knew what
to expect. I just frown at the practice because
I feel it a dangerous one to spread around to people
starting out that may think it is right! I think it needs
to be a last resort imo.

o ya bore cutting , thats what we where talken about:)

Mike have you considered Google? There is loads of stuff on the internet on chain saw safety that you could read to bring you up to speed on the subject. We love questions but it does take time to post a good response.... a lot of this stuff has been gone over and over and is freely available on the internet.

When I was a kid I asked a lot of questions. One day out of exasperation my grandfather passed along a bit of wisdom.

"A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer."

He said it with love, like I'm doing now.:)

Cop out. This is the place to ask and get expert answers. I have not experienced a hard kick back that I could not control. I wear a hard at a face shield, and chaps every time I cut. I watch the tip, Keep a good grip and good body position on every cut. Thats all I can do.

Cop out. This is the place to ask and get expert answers. I have not experienced a hard kick back that I could not control. I wear a hard at a face shield, and chaps every time I cut. I watch the tip, Keep a good grip and good body position on every cut. Thats all I can do.

Control in that you have managed to limit the threat by proper
use of a saw. No one can truly control kickback not even the
terminator governor has enough physical strength to.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KDYZ88L1Vo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KDYZ88L1Vo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeow! That's gotta hurt.

There is a lot more to it than a cop out. Do a bit of reading on posts made by plasma.
Many of us, Dan (Treeco) included have tried to very paitent with our new freind that has much to learn.

I experienced my first kickback when using the 361 for the 2nd time, never experienced it on the homelite 16" which I blew the engine cutting a old real dried up fence post...that saw lasted about 4-5 yrs.

Felled a tree down and had to get around a 3 ft tall and 6" dia stump that someone left there, had the saw about 45* angle and the chain was winding down after cutting a 18" staghorn summac top end. I was watching the tip while moving it and misjudged the length of the 25" bar, saw the tip contact that stump and it was all like slow-motion in my head, just like a second feels like a few seconds in your brain trying to figure out how to respond but at the same time thinking how it's gonna react.
The chain grabbed the stump and gave a mild kickback and swung the whole saw to the left by about 30* which I had both hands on the saw and I had it under under control and the kickback energy eventually bled off.

As stated in the owners manual and from professionals and the shop that gave me advice on the saw, always keep your hands on the handles whenever the chain is moving, and always watch the tip when you're cutting or moving the saw (in my case).

Mike have you considered Google? There is loads of stuff on the internet on chain saw safety that you could read to bring you up to speed on the subject. We love questions but it does take time to post a good response.... a lot of this stuff has been gone over and over and is freely available on the internet.

When I was a kid I asked a lot of questions. One day out of exasperation my grandfather passed along a bit of wisdom.

"A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer."

He said it with love, like I'm doing now.:)

You know what I tried to find on youtube and google videos?

Tree rootball falling upright or sudden movements that can haul stuff into the air...

I read stories of kids and adults getting killed when they were playing or hanging out where the rootball was from while someone was cutting the tree up and the rootball fell back upright into it's place and crushed or killed someone under there.

I would like to see a vid showing the danger of cutting a tree with the rootball out of the ground and how it looks when it falls back into it's place by suprise.

I entered tree rootball and found nothing related...

You know what I tried to find on youtube and google videos?

Tree rootball falling upright or sudden movements that can haul stuff into the air...

I read stories of kids and adults getting killed when they were playing or hanging out where the rootball was from while someone was cutting the tree up and the rootball fell back upright into it's place and crushed or killed someone under there.

I would like to see a vid showing the danger of cutting a tree with the rootball out of the ground and how it looks when it falls back into it's place by suprise.

I entered tree rootball and found nothing related...

Well it would be bad if that happened for sure but most pros
will be looking and many like myself have developed eyes' to
see things that are not right. As far as what they look like, many
if not most uproots will fall back in, some will do so when there is
much log left which is why I cut them off first, in some cases!

Last edited:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KDYZ88L1Vo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KDYZ88L1Vo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

great video. Thats just a 1 hp piece of equipment.

That had to be fatal...

While the other post you refer to may not be not quite a copout, Treeco spent a bit of time responding but not answering an honest question because he said it takes time to post an answer. In my opinion, if all someone is going to do is respond by saying go search, why post at all? Leave the thread to someone whom may post an answer to the gentlemans question then.

Such as the one above... excellent post and one I am sure he would be interested in.

This response leaves me a bit amused also though because I too value the experience of most of you men also, but the only way one can learn from professionals is if the professionals are willing to post honest answers.

And to tell someone to search for videos on youtube on the subject is like telling your kid to get his sex education from the people on the streetcorner.

I am sure all of you men had to start at the bottom and learn also, someone must have taken the time to answer all your noob questions no? I am sure you have been patient but the gentleman has only posted what.. 30+ times.. doesn't seem to me like he has been a pita about much, just does not have the benefit of experience that you men have. Which is exactly why he is here.

Good point but the first thing we get here is thick
skin and many answered his question but he did not seem to
come back to check on another response! We joke and carry
on have bad days and the like but most here would not purposely
steer a person wrong imo. We are good we are not perfect and
I will say a newby can learn much including some things he may
be better off not knowing in this great site!

:censored:
Honestly you can only tell someone so much. Operating a chainsaw is something you need to actually experience to learn about. While you can supplement this experience slightly with spoken or written advice, there is no substitute for actual experience. It gets to the point where instead of continuing to ask questions, you need to either go out and experience something for yourself, or find someone in the real world that can set you straight if you don't feel comfortable on your own.
:chainsaw:
:popcorn:
:givebeer:

:censored:
Honestly you can only tell someone so much. Operating a chainsaw is something you need to actually experience to learn about. While you can supplement this experience slightly with spoken or written advice, there is no substitute for actual experience. It gets to the point where instead of continuing to ask questions, you need to either go out and experience something for yourself, or find someone in the real world that can set you straight if you don't feel comfortable on your own.
:chainsaw:
:popcorn:
:givebeer:
I prefer training with shock collars do something stupid
buzz you get a little voltage:laugh:

well, look at his grip on the iron. it's no wonder that happened. at least he had a nice wide stance and he has his arms extended to act as a shock absorber. too bad he was standing directly over the kerf.

i had that happen when i was a kid. a 2 week old calf kicked me in the head....never been the same...still a great family story that gets told everytime i'm around certain cousins...horses and cows kick sooooo fast....it's like a rattlesnake strike.....it happens and then your brain begins to process it........

Rootball sitback

Got this one clearing a wilderness trail -- had to do it old school with a CC saw. The first pic seems to show a lot of top bind, but as I cut into it it rose up, particularly when I hammered in the wedges. after cutting through, it just kind of hung there, so I cut a plug out closer to the rootball. When the plug fell, it stood up like a soldier at attention.

Here's a reasonable sized rootball.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Back