Lewis Winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A number of years ago I heard the company sold and the quality went down somewhat. I got mine in 2001, before the company sale, and it worked great. I used it for one job and never again. We cut 1/4-1/2 acre holes in a tanoak forest in December, yarded out the firewood logs in January, and replanted with Douglas fir in February. I'd sell mine, but I don't do online transactions, so you would have to take a trip or get resourceful on how to make the payment.
And yeah, a 372 is sufficient. I used my 371. If I remember correctly, they recommend 4-4+ cubic inch powerheads.
What would pry it out of your $hed?

About 10 years ago I saw a Rule winch with a small Echo saw listed on a auction sale bill. The auction was about 2.5 hours away. I called the auctioneer ahead of time. I wanted to make sure it was actually what was advertised. I asked him about what time he thought it would sell. I told him how far away I was coming from from. He assured it would be later on in the sale. I got there about 20 minutes after the sale had started and he had already sold it. I was mad as heck and got madder when I found out he bought it for himself. He knew I was serious if I was coming from that distance and he sold it right away so he could get it cheaper. Well I was seriously
Ad and headed back home. Either that night or the next night I was looking on ebay and ran across a real nice Lewis winch with a practically new Homelite SXL. I ended up with it for a decent price so in a sense I got the last laugh.

On a another note several years later I had another bad experience with the same auctioneer. There was an add in the paper for some bred ewes (sheep). I called the ad and my son's and I loaded up and took off on the long drive to go take a look at them. I did not realize who was selling them until we got there. He had them in a small lot right in the town of Bloomfield, IA. They looked horrible. They were malnourished and there was no way the majority were bred. It was sad how mistreated they had been. Needless to say we did not buy them. After we left I realized he left to without even feeding them. A horrible way to treat animals.

I have one of the capstan winches with an 034 on it. I paid $350 for it a couple years ago, without the power head. Idea was to use it to pull firewood logs out of the woods, but got it right after I stocked up on firewood for several years, and haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Once I get a winch on the truck, I'll probably sell it.

I see some "off brand" copies of the Lewis Winch listed for sale online. I wonder what their quality is........

Back