Lickity Splitter Ram Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritzhund

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post, but I have been reading and learning a lot here. I am restoring a Lickity Splitter Model 26EK30 that was a junkyard find. It's basically the same as the Model EK308. I have talked to Lowell Webb a few times and he is a very helpful guy. Full of information. I am going to order a new set of shoes from him soon.

Splitter-1.jpg

I have the ram apart and have a question about the oil drip feature. There are two holes toward the front end of the outer cylinder near where the band wraps around. I am assuming that these holes belong on the bottom, above the beam, but they were not in that position when I took it apart.

Splitter-Ram-1.jpg

Does anybody know if I am correct? This is how it was but I think it may have been assembled incorrectly once. It may even have been installed backwards and the holes belong in the back by the cylinder head. I just want to get it right the first time. I am replacing the O-rings, all of the hoses, the sheave and sheave pin, the filter, and the motor. It had a beat up Honda on it and I happen to have a brand new Chonda (Greyhound) 6.5hp from Harbor Freight. I am making a plate to mount the Borg Warner pump to the motor. One day I will find an 8hp Briggs but for now I need the splitter running. The motor change seems to be the easiest part and I already have the Harbor Freight motor.

Splitter-Ram-2.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark

I have an EK308 that was given to me. The engine was run out of oil and it sat in a field for 10 years. I got a replacement Kohler 8 HP engine and put hoses on it and split all kinds of wood.

I bought new o-rings for it when I rebuilt my floor jack. I haven't gotten around to changing them yet because I am landscaping my house. I will do it this summer. I'll let you know what I find when I get into it.

Loweel wants a high price for the show set. I am going to reverse engineer a set for my splitter. He said he would let me measure his if I wanted to.

IMHO I would look for a Kohler K181 engine if you are going to the trouble of replacing the engine. It is a lot more engine than a Briggs and the OEM engine for your splitter so it will bolt right on. I found one online for $60 that was complete but tired. I rebuilt it myself for less than the cost of a 8 HP Briggs.

I live in Santa Cruz CA and go by Webbs Farm Supplies on the way home from work. Lowell is a great guy and very knowledgeable. If I can help in any way let me know. When I get into the splitter I'll let you know the orientation of the holes. Be warned that it may be a while.

Bob

Hi,

The O-ring is a #425 BUNA N.

I bought mine from a company called Sealing Specialties that we do business with where I work, but they should be readily available from any O-ring supplier.

www.sealingspecialties.com

They are $0.56 each.

Good move changing them. Be sure to hone the cylinder while you have it apart.

Mark

As far as the holes on the cylinder... I've looked at mine and they are located at the 7 o'clock position when viewed from the wedge side.

Thanks for your input about the holes woodsplitta.

After a lot of thought I do believe that they belong in the 6:00 position. These splitters were designed to drip a small amount of oil onto the I-beam to keep the wear plate lubricated, so I have installed mine that way.

Almost there! My tool maker/machinest buddy reverse engineered a new set of shoes and a wear plate for me (Brass shoes/Bronze wear plate). All I need now is the new pump mount he is working on so I can mount the original Borg-Warner hydraulic pump to the Chonda motor. He also custom built me a new ram return pulley assembly. I am currently re-loading the ram return springs with new stainless steel wire rope. New Lovejoy couplers will be installed, the hoses are all new, the wheels have been powdercoated, and new tires are on order. I hope to be completely rebuilt and splitting sometime in early October.

CMlandscape: Did you find O-rings for your animal?

Thanks, Mark
:msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back