Life in the tree..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bclure

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I am pretty new to climbing. I took the arbormaster L1 class and did some practicing. I did a take-down on a huge white pine Friday. I climbed it, limbing on the way up. Took the top off and blocked down. Being new, I was pretty cautious. I used my lanyard, spikes and continually advanced my climbing line. I think that I got a little de-hydrated. I did have water sent up, but I don't think that I drank nearly enough. I had too pee most of the day and I think that kept me from drinking enough? I was in the tree for over 7 hours.

How do you guys deal with this?

Brendan:newbie:

Pee off the tree or...

Find a good stopping point and come down and piss. Nothing you can do about mother nature.. Or if oyu feel as if you can hide your junk have a bottle sent up, make sure it is big enough, because pinching it off just doenst cvut the mustard. The duece is the worst in the tree, it inhabits your entire mind, cant even think straight, must be taken care of ASAP...

It's hard to not get dehydrated being in the tree that long. Was that all in one shot, without coming down?

I don't know how big the tree was, or it's placement, but if you could drop everything with no rigging 7 hours seem sort of long to me. Thats not a bad thing, it just means you're being cautious and very deliberate with everything you do in the tree. You'll get faster with experience, and that will help with dehydration, because you won't be in the air for as long.

On a 7 hour climb I'd probably break that into 2 climbs, with a little time to eat, rehydrate, relax a minute, and pee. Having water sent up helps, but if you are sweating non stop it's hard to drink enough to stay hydrated. Some guys swear by their camel backs. Its a small backpack that holds water with a sip tube, so you can take a drink whenever you want with no effort.

If you're getting dry to the point you start to get a headache, or muscle cramps, get yourself some liquid, and a break. You gotta keep your body happy if you expect it to go for you all the time.

If you are going to be in trees for long periods of time very often, learn the single or double rope ascending techniques, figure out which one works best for you. Using ascenders I come down for lunch or to take a bathroom break, because I can be back 100' up in a matter of minutes without a lot of energy being used up.

In addition to getting water dont forget to refuel with gatorade,bananas,oranges,etc-stuff that will keep you from cramping up and keep your level of electrolytes good. Dont worry, the more trees you do the better your nerves will get, the quicker you will become, and the bathroom breaks will decrease. Oh, wait that last one is not true, when you gotta go you gotta go! Just warn the groundies!:greenchainsaw:

Very good feedback, thank you.

Some great feeback guys. I do think that the problem was compounded by my inexperience. I worried that if I came back down, I wouldn't have the energy to make it back up. Not the best or safest reason to stay in the tree. Not to mention the fear factor, clinging tighter than I needed to. Learned a lot on that climb.

Thanks again,
Brendan

fear factor

I've been helping a guy learn to climb and half his enegy is used up from being tense/fear in the air. He worries the knots won't hold, the limb will break, something is going to go wrong. Until you get more time under your belt go slow and get used to being off the ground. On the job you wouldn't have time/we want production. So practice climbing on your day off. One hour in the tree and take a break/come down and rest then go back and repeat the climb. The fear never goes away, you just spent less energy worring about what can go wrong when you begin to trust yourself and your equipment to work/hold right. Time and practice. Seven hours is a long time to be in one tree, take a break, you can climb up a second time. When you are new to climbing you are asking a lot of muscles to work that don't get used when your feet are on the ground. All those muscles have to be trained to work together and this takes a lot of extra energy the first few climbs just to get them to work.

7 hours in one swipe is a lot.

Get yourself a lunch container which can easily be tied into the rope to drag up snacks and drinks. I try not to spend more than 3-4 hours a lick but for me to be in a tree that long means it is one helluva tree.

I prefer to pull up refreshments and take breaks in the canopy and stay in the tree until the job is done. Unlesss of course nature calls.

Be sure to get yourself a comfortable saddle as this will make a huge difference.

Best regards, and safe climbing.

The bottom line is if your pee is NOTclear you are not drinking enough. Urine should not be Yellow.

True, other good advice here too. 7 hours is way to long in a tree, especially for a beginer. I pound them as fast as I can, if it took a long time I would come down. Maybe 3 hours at the most, the tree isn't going anywhere.

Thats cause you ain't drinking enough water, its a fact, when its hot and you are working hard you have to drink a lot, along with the right foods.
Thanks I may start drinking more water as I
seem to p yeller all the time even when cold and don't want kidney
problems drink way too much diet coke. Tried to rep spread it

Thanks I may start drinking more water as I
seem to p yeller all the time even when cold and don't want kidney
problems drink way too much diet coke. Tried to rep spread it

Diet coke...and anything with nutrasweet in it should be avoided...aspartame is poison.....

energy

Some great feeback guys. I do think that the problem was compounded by my inexperience. I worried that if I came back down, I wouldn't have the energy to make it back up. Not the best or safest reason to stay in the tree. Not to mention the fear factor, clinging tighter than I needed to. Learned a lot on that climb.

Thanks again,
Brendan

Brendan, I'm sure every one can relate. I used more energy on my first few climbs then I do in a week now. I would come down with my hands cramping into fists from dehydration and the death grip I had on my lanyard! Be carefull It does not effect your judgement, I found early on I would make higher risk cuts [out of position, awkward cuts or big tops etc] just to aviod climbing around more. For me, once I learned to free climb ropes effeciantly getting in and out of trees is just an inconvienance now.

If you just drink water your body will be leached and in consequence of that you have muscle cramp and headache. I always carry a little bottle with sea salt and take a little taste when i drink my water. As long as it taste good, your body needs it. A long day in the tee needs you to be clear in your head.

Michael
(Sorry for my spelling, I'm Swedish you know)

Diet coke...and anything with nutrasweet in it should be avoided...aspartame is poison.....

and any other "soft drinks"

stick to H2O or one of the sports drink. I freeze a bottle of water every night and add gatorade to it throughout the morning.

And to the thread starter: good for you for sticking it out to get the job done. chaulk it up to training and get ready for the next one.:chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back